4.0 out of 5 stars it's not bad. Yes
Nothing stays the same.
Some of the reviews almost stopped me from reading the book. Definitely stopped me from buying it. I borrowed it from a friend and read it in 2 evenings. No, it's not bad. Yes, it's still Discworld. It's just changing in the direction that I personally don't like. But isn't our world, too? It's unfair to suggest it wasn't written by the...
Published 11 months ago by Anna

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite But Almost
This one is a good 3 1/2 stars but not quite a 4.

Raising Steam is the Fortieth, four-zero, Discworld novel. A hugely impressive fact especially when you consider that Terry Pratchett only published the first in 1983 and didn't decide to take a full-time swing at it and follow that up until 1986 AND found time to complete a further dozen plus non-Discworld...
Published 13 months ago by Tony Hill

‹ Previous | 173 74 75128 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Sept. 2014
Very good read as always

5.0 out of 5 stars Discworld, 15 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld Novels) (Hardcover)
New owner is deep into the book - no respnse to calls for dinner so it must be really good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Jan. 2015
christmas gift lovely x

5.0 out of 5 stars good., 18 Dec. 2014
normal pratchett, good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 21 July 2014
really enjoyed the book

5.0 out of 5 stars Still wonderful!, 7 Dec. 2013
S. Johnston - See all my reviews
I was worried by some of the negative reviews about this book, until I read it!
The pace is definitely mellower, but it is a lovely story & full of the familiar faces from Ankh Morpork that I have come to know & love.
Satire doesn't have to bite you on the bum, a little tickle between the legs can be just as fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars I shouldn't have taken any notice!, 23 Mar. 2014
Pack Leader (N Yorks, England) - See all my reviews
I foolishly read some of the reviews of this wonderful book soon after buying it and as a consequence didn't get around to reading it until recently. Whilst the tale of Iron Girder is different from others in the Discworld series, with no wizards or magic, I found it extremely enjoyable. At times the dialogue is "laugh out loud" whilst the characterisation is superb. I know people have withered on about Vimes' Pantweed slim panatellas and similar but to my mind such things are of no importance whatsoever, especially compared to Drumnot's conversion from paperclips to footplate and the goblins' wisdom. I've been a Pratchett fan since The Colour of Magic first came out in paperback - too long ago to remember and really enjoyed this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars raising standards, 3 April 2014
If you love discworld books, no reason to not to love this one. Has some of my favourite characters, Vimes, Moist Von Lipwig etc. that provide a comfortable warmth while new characters appear. Mr Simnel who I can't help thinking is modelled on Fred Dibnah. I love the humour he builds into the books and the way that what we accept as the norm is given a slight twist to make it amusing and slightly absurd. I always feel that there is a bit of social comment included in the book and a sideways dig at the establishment represented by Lord Vetinari. Who I always think is depicted as a self serving despot with his own rule book, but keeps the status quo. Read the other books with Moist as the main character. Can't wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a farewell, 3 Feb. 2014
Ignite (East Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I love Terry Pratchett's Discworld, his fertile imagination and his playful humour with words and this book was no exception. I really enjoyed reading it, laughed aloud on several occasions and couldn't resist reading bits out! The first steam engine on the Disc, named Iron Girder, attracts the attention of just about every faction - including the Patrician Lord Vetinari. The book culminates in a race against time along track being built almost as fast as the train is travelling.

Sadly, bearing in mind Terry Pratchett's illness, this had the feeling of a valedictory, having cameo roles for so many of the characters in previous stories. I enjoyed seeing them again, but if felt like a farewell. Such a shame, but a great yarn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 4 Jan. 2014
An absolute pleasure to read. I've been reading DiscWorld books for 20 years and I haven't enjoyed one more. Don't believe the bad reviews.

‹ Previous | 173 74 75128 | Next ›

Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld Novels)
Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld Novels) by Terry Pratchett (Hardcover - 7 Nov. 2013)
Used & New from: £2.79