4.0 out of 5 stars Some good francophile advice
Published 7 months ago by Jodie

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe it - the title's a lie!
Of course French women have facelifts, just not as many as women in other countries do. That's what the author tells us midway through the book, and she calls the title "a tease". Well, to this plain speaking English woman, it's called a lie. The publishers should be hauled over the coals for selling a book with such a misleading title.

Not only do French women...
Published 7 months ago by englishrose

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe it - the title's a lie!, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: French Women Don't Get Facelifts: Aging with Attitude (Hardcover)

Not only do French women have facelifts, we are told, they also go in for Botox, fillers, injections and heaven knows what. I was so disappointed with this book! I was hoping for a cheerful, philosophical take on ageing "with attitude" - the attitude being one of acceptance rather than denial. But although the author says she thinks many such procedures are extreme, she doesn't rule them out for herself and says she doesn't blame anyone for having them done. I guess that's because she's writing mainly for an American readership and she wants to have it both ways to maximize her sales. A tease? No, more an outright deception.

The rest of the book is common sense advice. Don't smoke, eat healthily, get some exercise, protect your skin from the sun. If you've lived in a cave for the past 20 years and haven't read a magazine or newspaper in that time, some of this may be new to you. Otherwise, forget it. I regret wasting my money on this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what it seems., 2 Mar 2014
I was so looking forward to reading this book, but i have been dissapointed. I reallyexpected more advice and information on the French attitude toageing abd looking after yourself,but i agree with the previous review, more American than French
I read it twice in case i was missi g something, but sadly not. A very dissaponting book by Mireille, unless you are American of course!

4.0 out of 5 stars Some good francophile advice, 24 Jan 2014
I am a huge francophile and particularly love books set in La Belle France like Weak at the Knees.I'm starting to get a few more grey hairs and wrinkles and I think that on the whole (it IS a generalisation) French women do do it better, so I thought it would be fun to check out this book. I'm way too squeamish to ever go under the knife for beauty, so any other tips I can lay my hand on are willingly received. And there is some good, common sense advice in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to Mireille's books., 25 April 2014
I bought this book after hearing Mireille speak. I already had her book 'French Women Don't Get Fat' and its sequel and had loved her practical advice on how to enjoy food without overeating.
Being older than her but still wanting to make the best of my looks and stay fit and healthy, I found this book easy to read and full of helpful advice and anecdotes. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars reassuring, 23 April 2014
Because this book was reaffirming of my own philosophy about ageing and adding to it. I was beginning to think that I was alone in my thinking. It is so easy to become dictated to by attitudes around of 'it's because I'm getting older' mentality, an excuse of course from getting up off their backsides in the main and engaging in life. In this instance I do refer to persons without serious restrictions or disabilities but who are probably drawing those situations towards themselves sooner than is necessary and who seem happy to do so? When dealing with life challenges it is not easy to drag yourself out off it and start a new chapter but this book and this series of books just might help. Give them a read!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 14 Feb 2014
I have read French Women Don't Get Fat and French Women For All Seasons over and over again.So when I saw this one I couldn't wait to buy it! I was not disappointed, it's brilliant! As I am in the age group when some women may resort to face lifts, it is great to read alternative ways of ageing without feeling we are ready for the scrap heap!

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly disappointing, 6 Feb 2014
The first three chapters or so are what I expected, but thereafter I learnt more about American women than French women. The charming, quirky English of the first two books (I haven't read the other two) has been replaced by definitely un-charming American.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inside you can find advices that will make you feel more feminine, beautiful and attractive regardless of your age, 17 Jan 2014
Denis Vukosav - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
"French Women Don't Get Facelifts" written by Mireille Guiliano is a story about aging with style, and who can teach us that lesson better than French women that are synonym for elegance, style and charm.

Mireille Guiliano who previously wrote "French Women Don't Get Fat" that was highly successful in the US, with this book had complicated task to write something equally interesting, and yet not to repeat herself.
In her new book she offers advices about all the problems that older age inevitably brings, starting with the one to which she devoted a special chapter funny called "Assessing Gravity".

Guiliano speaks about dressing, care for your skin that needs special care given to the age, the ways how to decently apply your makeup, about diet that can be recommended for you to look healthier and younger, exercises that will improve your physical fitness - in short, inside you can find lots of things that will make you feel more feminine, beautiful and attractive regardless of your age...
And therefore it can be rightfully said that the author didn't fail in comparison to the anticipation of the new release, though her new book can be considered as a logical continuation of the first bestseller, two titles that are best to be read together.

I bought this book as gift for one special elderly person, but I didn't manage not to go through its 300-odd pages that are really fast to read because of the accessible ways of presenting the topic.
Therefore, I believe that you also won't be disappointed because it's an interesting title that can be recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much wise advice, 18 Jan 2014
I really love this book. Apart from being a very enjoyable read, there is so much information therein. Though I am just turning 78, I think this would be a good read for almost any age. It certainly raised my spirits.

Etheldreda

2.0 out of 5 stars Having loved FW don't get fat I was really looking forward ..., 30 July 2014
Having loved FW don't get fat I was really looking forward to reading this. It started off OK but much of it was just a rehash of the previous book and after the first few chapters which were readable and relatively entertaining, it degenerated into a rehash of the sort of advice you can get from any mainstream magazine. Nothing new at all here.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

French Women Don't Get Facelifts: Aging with Attitude
French Women Don't Get Facelifts: Aging with Attitude by Mireille Guiliano (Hardcover - 16 Jan 2014)
9.00