4.0 out of 5 stars An Atmospheric and Creepy Tale of the Supernatural
With the intriguing opening sentence: "I blame Charles Dickens for the death of my father" the reader learns how Eliza Caine, a young schoolteacher, struggles to cope with the loss of her father when he succumbs to a fever after an unwise trip in bad weather to see the famous author, Charles Dickens, speak at a venue in London. Eliza, as she tells us in her first-person...
Published 24 months ago by Susie B

3.0 out of 5 stars No chiller but an enjoyable read.
I enjoyed “This House is Haunted” but can’t pretend that it had me on the edge of my seat. To write an original and spine–chilling ghost story must be every bit as much of a challenge as to write a good erotic novel. In both the pitfalls are gaping.

To base the story on a governess and two children and to place the action in the midst of...
Published 3 months ago by Bluecashmere.

‹ Previous | 17 8 912 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 3 April 2015
This review is from: This House is Haunted (Paperback)
not bad I have read better

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 April 2015
Mrs. Alison J. Penfold (sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This House is Haunted (Paperback)
Brilliant read, loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, just wow!, 7 Aug. 2014
WindsorMummy (Windsor) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: This House is Haunted (Paperback)
I don't think my paltry attempts at reviewing this book would do it justice! I won't recap the storyline, but suffice it to say if you like chilling tales with lots of suspense then this is the book for you. John Boyne recreated the era to perfection, and his descriptions (of people especially) were very vivid. I'd never read a horror or ghost story that so perfectly encapsulated the tension and fear I'd been longing for, until now! Not at all gory but very chilling all the same. John Boyne is a master storyteller and I have yet to find one of his books dissatisfying....

2.0 out of 5 stars An okay ghost story., 23 Aug. 2013
'This House is Haunted' is a ghost story set in Victorian times. Narrated in the first person, the language, in attempting to reflect the era, is sometimes stilted and occasionally, slightly anachronistic. The plot has a vaguely 'Jane Eyre-esque' feel to it, without ever capturing the brooding essence of that novel.

For me, it is not a 'page-turner' as, at no time, was i even slightly alarmed by the ghostly occurrences. Personally, I dislike inconclusive ending and particularly those with an 'is the bogey-man back?' finale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a treat!, 18 May 2014
love reading "marsy" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: This House is Haunted (Paperback)
I adored this book and couldn't put it down. Firstly, I absolutely love the setting, my favourite by far and the writer carried it off very well. It reminded me of Dickens' ghost stories and MR James. The characters were real and convincing. The plot was fast paced and exciting; it was also plausible, even although it was a ghost story! The writing and language was absolutely wonderful and the atmosphere was dark and evocative.
This is my favourite kind of book, to curl up with and lose myself in. A real treat!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy ghost tale, 21 April 2014
This review is from: This House is Haunted (Paperback)
I decided to read this book after hearing its reviews on radio 2's Simon Mayo book club. I didn't find it THAT scarey, but maybe some scare easier than others ;0/
It does start off well, but im afraid its conclusion didnt have me riveted, in fact it bordered on the ridiculous!! Loved Isabellas character though, she made the book...didn't she Eliza Caine?

3.0 out of 5 stars Read Stephen King if you want a ghost story, 10 Aug. 2014
Unfortunately after reading The Boy in the Stripped Pyjamas I expected more originality in this ghost story but it seemed to me a mash-up of Jane Eyre , the Little Stranger , Turn of the Screw etc. etc. etc. He writes really really well but plot was obvious whereas in the 'boy in the stripped pyjamas' plot was amazing

3.0 out of 5 stars Good gothic horror, 29 May 2013
Rhona Murphy

This was very much along the lines I expected. I was looking for a good gothic horror and this did not disappoint. While the story veered into cliche at times, the heroine was likeable and there were some genuinely chilling passages. A good page turner for the holiday period.

3.0 out of 5 stars This House is Haunted. By John Boyne, 21 April 2014
Not a bad story at all very atmospheric and very chilling in places, however it reminded me of M.R James story "The Turn Of The Screw"

1.0 out of 5 stars Formulaic, predictable and historically inaccurate., 1 July 2014
I was so looking forward to this book. It had all the makings of a great story and my hopes were high. It was, sadly, yawningly predictable and deeply dull. I knew where it was headed from the outset and carried on incase it was all part of a grand double bluff. It wasn't. I can best describe it as a 'paint by numbers' ghost story. On top of all of this, Boyne uses language and concepts that are inappropriate to 1867. Go and get yourself a proper ghost story. Try Alison Littlewood's ' The Unquiet House' or Simon Kurt Unsworth's 'Quiet Houses' for examples of how house based ghost stories should be. John Boyne needs to leave ghost stories to those who know what they are doing.

‹ Previous | 17 8 912 | Next ›

This House is Haunted
This House is Haunted by John Boyne (Hardcover - 25 April 2013)