5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read.
Published 19 months ago by Steven Kimberley

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and informative true-life hostage drama
3.5 stars.

I only read this as the film interested me and I wanted to read the source material first. I audio read this, and the 7 disc CD is well narrated and an easy listen.

Published 14 months ago by K. J. Noyes

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read., 10 Oct. 2013
This review is from: A Captain's Duty (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this book by accident, having searched for a sci-fi trilogy by an author of the same name. I deeply enjoyed this book, especially as the film has just been released! My only regret is that I read it in three days, I wish it had been longer. Phillips' account of his ordeal is harrowing and gives a very personal insight into his kidnapping. He writes candidly about the roles of the U.S. government, the Navy and the SEAL team that eventually rescued him. If you are thinking about seeing the movie, give the book a read too, and get the 'un-Hollywood' version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 19 Nov. 2013
This review is from: A Captain's Duty (Paperback)
This story details in great detail the bravery of Captain Phillips. It shows how the family back at home were affected. The film was good. The book went into what happened in greater detail. Riveting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and informative true-life hostage drama, 1 Mar. 2014
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Captain's Duty (Audio CD)
3.5 stars.

The true story of a captain and his crew who are pursued and boarded by Somali pirates and manage to outwit them. Knowing the outcome isn't normally a problem, knowing that Captain Phillips survives, that the pirates don't win. But I actually found I identified with the pirates for 90% of their appearances in the book. I don't mean I wanted them to take money, boats and cargo from the ship, but I found myself constantly wondering "why are they doing this?", "what's life like for them in Somalia?", and their eventual fate for me was a regretful one.

The book jumps around a lot, our narrator spending half the running length (I listened to the audio) talking about his days before he joined the merchant navy, meeting his wife and his time in initial training. Then the missing chunk for me is how he rose to the rank of captain, which I was looking forward to hearing.

The pirate attack and hostage situation is quite exciting, with Phillips' wife's point of view lengthening it and racheting up tension.

It's a good one to read if you're interested in ships and the merchant navy, life for a captain/ship worker and real life dramas.

If you like this, I'd recommend the Young Adult book on similar lines: Hostage Three by Nick Lake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten star Reading, 11 Mar. 2014
fernacks (Poulton-le-Fylde. Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Captain's Duty (Kindle Edition)
Captain Phillips is a true hero because, as with true heroes,,he doesn't think he is. This is an adventure that needs to be read if only to appreciate what sailors, military or civilian, can encounter at any given time - it is NOT an easy life! On British T.V., there have been programmes showing some sympathy towards the pirates (incredibly) due to their poor circumstances - all caused by the West of course. Read this and you will see what unfeeling, cruel, selfish people they really are. The stoicism and selflessness of Captain Phillips is a lesson to everyone and he deserves all the plaudits he so deservedly gets.How he survived the physical and mental cruelty is a real credit to him. Brilliant!

4.0 out of 5 stars A 'must read', 3 Feb. 2014
This review is from: A Captain's Duty (Paperback)
Having seen the film, felt I had to read the book to get all the detail.
It doesn't disappoint...
Gives more depth to his character and also an interesting insight into Merchant mariners life.

The film was very true to the book also.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Captain's Duty, 13 Jun. 2013
A very well written record of the events surrounding the piracy of Maersk Alabama off East Africa. Captain Phillips displayed the leadership expected of a professional mariner. Great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 18 Jan. 2014
This review is from: A Captain's Duty (Paperback)
A very interesting read especially after seeing the film - puts certain points in what happened very clearly and relates the experience to what Captain Phillips felt. Also gives you a better idea of what all the people involved were liek and how they succeeded in finding a way out of a hugely difficult situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Story of the Pirate Attack, 24 Jan. 2014
J. "McKey" (Finland, Europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Captain's Duty (Paperback)
I had quite high expectations for this purchase from Amazon, however this was one of the cases where these expectations were surpassed. This book is unusual in several respects:
- first the writing is fittingly "rough", suiting well to the subject. I found the language interesting.
- the story is most unusual with first pirates taking over ships with guns, then crew working the situation with their bare hands to almost the opposite...
- the author describes extremely well the difficult situation of both pirates and Richard Phillips once the three huge warships start arriving around the covered lifeboat, with ever deteriorating conditions in the campaign between the two opposite sides, to the very end.
- this book is only as long, 286 pages, as it truly takes to describe the happenings, a special bonus to the publisher of A Captain's Duty.

It is easy to recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond the call of duty, 16 Oct. 2014
This review is from: A Captain's Duty (Kindle Edition)
How can you not give this five stars. This man is a true hero. A man just doing his job and is placed in an invidious situation. You cannot help wonder how you would react in the same position. I am pretty certain I would struggle . I cannot deal with the day without my cup of coffee in the morning. He is selfless, lacking in ego,caring, a human being one can only aspire to be. This is inspiring stuff. And provides a sense of perspective as I set off to face the traffic on the journey to work. I will make sure I hug the missus and not curse the teenager for still being in bed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous waters, 27 May 2014
This review is from: A Captain's Duty (Paperback)
After having seen clips of the film based on the story of Captain Phillips, I decided to read the book. Very interesting, instructive description of life at sea on a large vessel, of todays navigational and communication equipment on the bridge, the difficult decisions faced by and overall responsibility the master (owners, cargo, crew), which are often underrated or unknown to the public. A book about and for men, but also for women whose husband, brother or son has chosen a career in the merchant marine.

A Captain's Duty
A Captain's Duty by Richard Phillips (Paperback - 10 Oct. 2013)