4.0 out of 5 stars Dead Island - A good zombie read
Dead Island is a decent book - I haven't played the game as of yet.
I thought the plot was good and kept the reader hooked, the book also leaved room for a sequel.
The characters were well developed if not a little too generic.
The only downside to this book is that the plot and writing are like so many other zombie books so not really anything...
Published on 3 Oct 2011 by hjacko

2.0 out of 5 stars Zombies by Numbers
I have a confession to make: although I am a long time gamer, I have never read a videogame tie-in novel nor have I ever been much inclined to. It's not that I've taken some vow of chastity and forsworn intimacy with the tie-in, it's just that the right opportunity has never really presented itself before now. A state of affairs from which I derived a certain sense of...
Published on 10 Oct 2011 by Bāki

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book Ever, 14 Mar 2012
This review is from: Dead Island (Kindle Edition)
This was truly the best book I have ever read. the gore was fab and so was the story line. A must read for zombie fans. the end was a bit bad though and a very surprising death occurs...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good slice of survival horror, 18 Feb 2012
G. Preston "gazhack" (Bolton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Island (Paperback)
I've been a fan Mark Morris' books for a while and I've enjoyed reading this novelisation a lot. He does wonders to disguise a series of game missions into something that feels like an organic story. I haven't played the game yet, because I've already got a pile of Xbox games to work through and some of the reviews have been less than kind, so I can't compare directly but as a zombie survival horror this novel certainly stands proud in an overcrowded sub-genre.

The characterisation is the strongest part, especially the two leading men, Sam and Logan who are both heroic but flawed in interesting ways. It's their reactions to the zombies that makes all the gore effective. Purna is a very admirable kick ass babe but possibly a bit too good to be true. The author does a good job in keeping finding new ways to describe zombies being clobbered and shot too. It's grim horror tale but it just stops short of becoming so relentlessly downbeat that it becomes hard work to read. Best sequence is possibly the exploration of a secret lab and uncovering the unpleasant devastation, then rescuing Yerema, the one surviving human. Well worth trying for genre fans or gamers hungry for more background to the game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the game, 17 Feb 2012
This review is from: Dead Island (Paperback)
After playing the game and then reading this the Book was better than the game. The plot of the book really does keep you interested with it's great descriptions of the enviroments and characters. Though I like the way the characters are potrayed in the book more than the game for example Sinamoi, in the game he speaks fluent english where in the book he speaks broken english. Neverless it's a good read that will keep you wanting more.

4.0 out of 5 stars dead island the book, 7 Nov 2011
This review is from: Dead Island (Paperback)
The book is loosely based on the game with all the playable characters , well written keeps you coming back. shame it was a bit short.
The way it ends you expect there to be another release on the game front.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better., 30 Sep 2011
This review is from: Dead Island (Paperback)
I picked this up, not from Amazon, but from Waterstones. However i'm going to provide my view on it in the hope that others may find it useful if they plan on buying this.

I've watched the game on youtube, and i know the plot of it from that, but i would never actually buy a game like this (while i can read about horror, actual scares are a bit too much for me!) I picked up the book hoping for a much more complex version of events i had seen in the game so i could properly get my head around the plot.

When i started the book, it kept me hooked. I found Zombie encounters to be well described, to the point where you can easily imagine very gory images of what you've just read. I managed to read all the way to the halfway point of the book in 1 sitting. To me this is praise because not many books have kept me that hooked in, however..

After the halfway point, the book seems to go a different way from the games plot. Characters in the last few chapters have their roles changed, and the actual ending is pretty short and blunt. After reading through the first half, this left me pretty disappointed.

Overall, the book is not awful if you are into this kind of literature, but if you are looking for it to be entirely faithful to the games events, you'll find this isn't the case.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm..., 21 Sep 2011
Gin Berry (Wiltshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Island (Paperback)
To be fair this is a book based on a game, so really we can't expect too much. I suppose it depends on what you look for in Zombie fiction, but in this instance i can't see that the appeal would extend beyond a small group of teenage boys who REALLY love the game. The story is ok, though the initial meeting and behaviour of our main characters (read caricatures?)is rushed and farfetched, the outbreak of the disease is ok though lacking in description, and the subsequent events are annoying and poorly executed. I have to hold my hands up and admit that quite frankly, I was unable to finish it, hence my abbreviated review. If the last third of the book was an out and out masterpiece I apologise from the bottom of my heart and ask that this review be removed. But, if it carries on in a similar vein to the first two thirds, I stand by my opinion that this is a very sickly mange-ridden turkey.
Amazon did helpfully suggest I read The First Days by Rhiannon Frater which, if you skip past the opening pages unless you like your stories opened with a scene too grisly even for me, is far better executed and paced.
Happy reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Sep 2014
Condition good good book

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, Brilliant Author, 4 Oct 2011
This review is from: Dead Island (Paperback)
Wether you have played the game or not this is a great book for anyone who loves a good zombie book 5/5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Sep 2014
Cool

Dead Island
Dead Island by Mark Morris (Paperback - 8 Sep 2011)