5.0 out of 5 stars The Inimitable Bryant and May
Published 22 months ago by Susannah

3.0 out of 5 stars Bryant & May and the search for a plot
I've followed Bryant & May 's adventures from their beginning in Full Dark House and have always loved the quirky mix of esoteric knowledge of the capital and and humorous exchanges between the characters. Each episode in the series has contributed towards building what we see as an alternative London, based firmly in reality but not of it, with likeable characters and...
Published 12 months ago by Mrs. C. A. Mikolj

5.0 out of 5 stars The Inimitable Bryant and May, 13 Sep 2012
My husband and I have a relatively short list of authors whose books we always buy without inquiry or waiting for the reviews; we know without a doubt they'll be worth reading. After reading the first Bryant and May book, Christopher Fowler took his place on that list and has since been in no danger of removal. Bryant and May are delightfully unlike any other fictional detectives but, if I were to make a comparison, it would be to Holmes and Watson in that they are an odd couple who are destined to have a long literary life. These are rare characters, the kind that inspire devotion and that take up permanent residence in our imaginations. Amid so many books that are firmly rooted in this brief moment of time, and which will be dated and justly forgotten in less than five years, I'm betting that Bryant and May will be beloved a hundred years from now.

The interest in these books, for us, lies in the timeless human crankiness of the characters and the London setting, which reminds us that to love and venerate a place is almost impossible without knowing its history. Everything Arthur Bryant sees as he traverses the city is redolent with meaning for him because of his vast and intricate knowledge of its past, and the ways in which it lives on and continues to manifest itself with or without our awareness. I can think of no other books that I would put on the same shelf with these; there's a strong thread of fantasy that tantalizes, in part because we're never quite sure it's really there. I think this is a wise choice on the author's part.

For reasons unknown, this latest book has been released in the United Kingdom considerably before it is due to be released in the U.S. We couldn't wait, so sought it out on the Amazon UK site and gladly paid the extra to have it sent to us in the U.S., a measure of our delight in having another Bryant and May.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong entry in delightful series, 10 Oct 2013
This review is from: Bryant & May and the Invisible Code: (Bryant & May Book 10) (Paperback)
This was a treat. Even after 10 books in the series, Christopher Fowler has still got it. "The Invisible Code" is fresh and lively and original, not a formulaic entry in a tired series. The suspense and pacing are excellent, so very hard to put this book down and do other things. The mystery is intriguing, and I didn't even begin to see how it would all fit together or who the culprit would be, but it all came together seamlessly. The balancing act of suspense, occult, and comedy never falters, you are chilled and then laughing. Arthur Bryant continues to be a comic delight, spending time with him is such fun, and he shines in this book. So much arcane knowledge, so much lateral thought, and so funny--his appearance at The very posh Claridge's is a hoot, as is his dysfunctional relationship with technology. Even the secondary characters are fascinating--are Renfield and Longbright ever going to get together? Colin and Meera? Crippen is pregnant? So much going on. And the ending made me want to begin book 11 immediately. Thanks to the publishers and Netgalley for my advance copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bryant and May and The Invisible Code, 9 Sep 2012
Mrs. Mary E. Young (YEOVIL, Somerset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Bryant and May thrilling adventures are still among the best written work on the market and Bryant and May and the Invisible Code is first class. The plot is wonderfully clever, and it's incredibly difficult to put the book down. Christopher Fowler has a brilliant mind and every page is a real gem.Above all, his books are extremely scary, amusing and intelligent. A guaranteed journey into the unknown.Re-reading them only makes them better!

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST BOOK SO FAR, 13 Sep 2013
I love reading Christopher Fowler books, as soon as I buy his latest, I have to read it straight away. My favourite ones are the Bryant and May books, have read all the series, and can honestly say, this book is the best so far, I read the book in a day, as I just could not put it down. The 2 detectives in this book are so funny, one minute you are laughing out loud, then wondering what the next twist is going to be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Most peculiar..., 10 Jan 2014
FictionFan (Kirkintilloch, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Detectives Bryant and May of the Peculiar Crimes Unit are called in to investigate when a young woman is found dead in a church. There is no obvious cause of death, so they have to decide whether this was murder - or was she the victim of some spooky supernatural...er...something. Meantime, their boss and archenemy Oskar Kasavian asks them to help find out why his wife seems to be going mad - because that's always something you would ask the police to look into, isn't it? Psychics, shades of Bedlam, and witch-hunters - just a normal day for Bryant and May...

This is most definitely a book that requires the reader to check her disbelief at the door. The plot is...well...I tried to think of a politer word, but 'ridiculous' is the most appropriate. Is there a supernatural theme or isn't there? I genuinely have no idea. It's hinted at throughout but never confirmed. And the anachronisms! If we were to date the book purely on the characterisation, we'd have to assume we were in the 1950s, but the technology makes it clear we're supposed to be in the present day. So the idea that all top civil servants are male, that their wives don't work and meet up weekly in Harrods for afternoon tea...again, ridiculous.

In the afterword, the author says that he was 'determined to create a pair of intelligent Golden Age detectives who are forced to deal with the modern world.' Hmm...intelligent, I grant you. In fact, Bryant appears to have as encyclopaedic a knowledge of London as Holmes did, and the descriptions of some of the less well-known places are one of the main interests of the book. Golden Age? Well, they're old - but most of the Golden Age detectives of my experience tended to rule out supernatural causes. And modern world - the only concession to modernity is that they all have mobile phones. Otherwise even Poirot would have felt at home in this mid-20th century society.

However, so long as the reader doesn't expect the book to make any sense or have any basis in the real world, it's a fairly enjoyable light-hearted read. Bryant and May are likeable characters, and there's quite a lot of mild humour in the book. The writing is good, particularly of the spooky bits even though these didn't really make sense or go anywhere in the end. This is my first Bryant and May and, while it was fairly enjoyable overall, it wouldn't encourage me to read the rest of the series. But, looking at some of the other reviews, the series seems to have a dedicated and loyal following and several reviewers suggest this one isn't up to the usual standard; so I would be reluctant to write off the whole series on the basis of this one book, and may try an earlier one at some point. 3 stars for me, so rounded up to 4.

NB This book was provided for review by the publisher, Random House.

4.0 out of 5 stars The geriatric detectives are back causing trouble again..., 9 Aug 2012
K H Liu (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
and fans of Bryant And May will love it.

For anyone who hasn't read the previous books I'd recommend starting from the beginning as the story does require some background knowledge of the characters. I guess any series of books, especially one that has run for ten stories, invariably gets caught up in its own history and canon.

And being a bit of a traditionalist myself, get them as proper books - they look great on a shelf :)

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved to lose myself in Enid Blyton, 13 July 2014
When I was a child, I loved to lose myself in Enid Blyton; later it was Agatha Christie who gave me an escape from the mundane world, (usually read secretly in school assemblies). Now, several decades later, I have found another author to look forward to immersing myself in - this book, like The Memory of Blood and I am sure all the others in this wonderful series, is a real page-turner. It is well-written, packed with interesting facts which bring not only the characters to life but also make me yearn to visit the places mentioned in the stories. I had feared the books would be derivative of the Sherlock Holmes series, but the detectives are well capable of existing in their own fictional space, strongly drawn and playing out their parts with other fascinating characters in stories that are skilfully crafted and have defied my best guesses. They are quite unlike anything else I have ever read and I enjoy every minute I share with Bryant & May.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014
E. M. Wlkinson (Nantwich, Cheshire, GB) - See all my reviews
I enjoy these books and am never let down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Completed, 12 Jun 2014
This was an entertaining book I would recommend to any reader of detective fiction. As always the central mystery was involving. I also found that London came across as a darker than normal place even for these stories. And Without giving away too much Mr Merry promises to be a villain to test the PCU in future. I have now caught up with all the books and I must depend on Christine Fowler work rate from now on.

4.0 out of 5 stars present, 5 Jun 2014
Kathleen willis (cumbria) - See all my reviews
i bought this book as a present for my son and he really enjoyed it. i thought it was quite good.

Bryant & May and the Invisible Code: (Bryant & May Book 10)
Bryant & May and the Invisible Code: (Bryant & May Book 10) by Christopher Fowler (Paperback - 6 Jun 2013)
5.59