5.0 out of 5 stars This book will make you laugh even if you are a misery
Published on 27 Jun 2012 by Geoff In Devon

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing third outing
Published 11 months ago by Judi

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will make you laugh even if you are a misery, 27 Jun 2012
I too had preordered the book and then completely forgotten about it. A perfect delight to then receive it quite unexpectedly. I have not been dissapointed and once again have chortled at the various escapades. Within this book Terry Darlington has also incorporated his biography which is amusing and also poignant in places. His interview by the Principal of Stoke on Trent College of Technology is pure and priceless "Darlington"
Buy this book and enjoy it just as I have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Upstream and Downstream of Consciousness, 17 Dec 2013
This review is from: Narrow Dog to Wigan Pier (Paperback)
This is a beautiful, sad, moving book. It forms a natural end to Terry Darlington's trilogy of travel books in the company of his wife, their narrow dogs and their narrow boats, and it's a canal-paced love letter to all of them. Away from the romantic settings of their first two narrow boat tours (Carcassonne and the Southern States), Terry and Monica this time stay much closer to home and explore the gritty reality of the northern English canals. But now the backdrop is Terry's own back-story, and tales from the canal are interspersed with memories from times past. Canal boating is all about looking forward along the arrow-straight roof of your craft, but in Narrow Dog To Wigan Pier the theme is of the author looking back over the wash he has created over his 75 years on life's waterways. It's this that gives the book its elegiac sense of being a swansong, a meandering lap of honour, and a metaphorical hammering in of the restraining ropes at the author's final mooring. As I said, sad and moving, but beautiful all the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars A funny, heartfelt and sincere portrayal of life......on and off the water, 8 Aug 2012
I have just finished reading 'Narrow Dog to Wigan Pier' and it now has pride of place on my bookshelf. I am so relieved to hear of Terry's recovery at home and wish him all the best.
I first came to 'Narrow Dog To Carcassonne' a couple of years ago. It was given to me on audio CD and through my love of boats, family life and dogs I decided to give it a try. Both my husband and myself took it to our hearts and have listened to it repeatedly since then especially when times have been tough.
I have been ill for over a year now and purchased 'Indian River and Wigan Pier' to cheer myself up. It worked !!!!
Both books are very different but I found 'Narrow Dog to Wigan Pier' to be an intriguing and comforting read. Life is not easy and Terry presents his memoirs as realistic experiences......showing both the ups and downs and the thought that there is always a way through !
My husband and I have been on boats since childhood and we loved the stories and anecdotes from waterways on which we still travel today.
Thank you Terry. Long may you continue to write.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful narrow book, 13 July 2012
When I picked up Narrow Dog to Carcassonne in a shop, I was almost unable to stop reading it until I realised I was laughing out loud quite a lot and ought to take it home. Couldn't wait for Narrow Dog to Wigan Pier and as with Indian River, I was delighted to find that it was as good and as funny and even more beautifully and compellingly written. There are bits that break your heart, bits that make you feel good and brief, poetic flights that took my breath away. There are scary bits and exciting bits. There are an assortment of wonderful walk-on characters and of course Jim and Jess and Monica, lovingly brought to life.
What a gift Terry has with words and images and what immense skill. It's a joy to read because it seems to flow effortlessly from comedy to tragedy, past to present and back and all in his startling, concise and vivid style. I loved it as much for the writing itself as for the content .

I do hope he will write more books, now he's done an ilogy.

4.0 out of 5 stars The land of lost content, 16 July 2012
Having read and greatly enjoyed the two previous Narrow Dog books, this was a must for me and for my husband. We relish Terry Darlington's allusive style of writing, which strikes a chord with us as we grew up in much the same era, and must have had a similar education. Once again, we found much to amuse and interest us but over all, there was an elegiac tone to the book which made us a little sad. The author seemed to be making a final reckoning of his life and gazing back over the " happy highways where I went and cannot come again".

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely wonderful, 24 Jun 2012
PinkFloyd Fan (Hampshire England) - See all my reviews
I had forgotten that I'd pre-ordered this so what a treat to switch my Kindle on and find it waiting for me! I am such a fan of the previous two books which I have re-read several times, something I almost never do with books. Terry Darlington is a really fantastic writer, makes me laugh and cry in just the right measures and I love all the literary references (with the opportunity to look up any that I didn't recognise!). Some changes in Terry and Monica's life this time round with an additional narrow dog (but don't worry, Jim is still there)and a new boat following the terrible loss of the Phyllis May. A really wonderful read, all fans of the previous books will adore this one too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Narrow dog to wigan pier, 17 July 2012
How lucky we are to have yet another opportunity to learn more about the mind of Jim. Whippets, the supreme athletes of the canine world, are also the laziest of all dog breeds, and it takes a superior mind to interpret their reflections on humanity in general and on their own kind in particular. Such a fine interpretation can only come from the pen of Terry Darlington, a master of story telling in an inimitable style, humorous and philosophical, leaving the reader hungry for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another triumph, 15 Sep 2012
Mrs. E. S. L. Piccaver (Lincs, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book straight away, even though,sadly, I wasn't able to buy it at the launch, which was cancelled due to Terry's health problems -thank goodness he's alright now! Anyway, I digress-I knew it would be good, but in some ways I think it's much better than the previous 2, as it's not just about boating, but gives us little insights into the mind of the author.
I've loved reading it, and am sad to finish-always a sign of a 'good read'-and now I'm going to re-read the first two
Read it and give yourself a treat-Terry writes beautifully, and there is much that is thought provoking-and it's funny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Narrow Dog to Immortality, 29 Jun 2012
G. M. Sinstadt - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
So now Terry Darlington has an ilogy. After the delights of Narrow Dog to Carcassonne and the further pleasures of Narrow Dog to Indian River the Darlington fan club can complete the trilogy nearer to home. Terry and Monica have a new narrow boat, Phyllis May 2 (her predecessor having gone up in flames) and a new narrow dog, Jess, a wrestling partner for Jim (who has started to go white from the nose).

From Stone they travel, not without scary moments, as far north as the English canal system will allow. Whereupon Terry contracts a very nasty case of shingles. They lay up and sort of recover before setting off by a different route to cross the Pennines from underneath, and then back home to the Trent and Mersey by way of a genuflection to an unexpectedly lovely discovery, the Macclesfield canal.

Intercut with the journey are selected episodes from the autobiography of T Darlington, business man of more shrewdness than he confesses, and of Terry the founder of Stone Master Marathoners and a runner unspoiled by false modesty.

Travelling with them has been unalloyed joy. I was pleased to revisit The Convergence of the Twain, I do remember Kathy Kirby but I had forgotten Secret Love. Dipping into this book is like plunging into the bran tub of my youth - a prize for everyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing third outing, 7 Jan 2014
This review is from: Narrow Dog to Wigan Pier (Paperback)
I've only given one star for this, the third Narrow Dog publication. Having read the first two, I was hoping to be entertained again by the third. Unfortunately, I wasn't. I didn't enjoy Indian River as much as Carcassone (although I R was still good) and was hoping that a return to the form of the first book would emerge here. However, the Wigan Pier episode descended into a maudling, self-obsessed memoir that I felt did not show the author in a pleasant light. Too much about Research Associates by far, and TD's accounts of his behaviour towards other people made me glad I don't know him personally. Hardly anything at all about the actual canal trip and far too much "aren't I brilliant" for me. A disappointing end, but if this was the standard at this point, it's a good thing the ilogy stops here. Unless Monica and The dogs wish to write their own next episodes.

Narrow Dog to Wigan Pier
Narrow Dog to Wigan Pier by Terry Darlington (Paperback - 23 May 2013)