5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed, I cried, I could not put it down
Published on 6 Mar. 2006 by book worm

1.0 out of 5 stars waste of time!!
If I could have given minus stars I would have fond so. A lot of waffling, the whole story could have been told in a few pages. Don't buy!
Published 12 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed, I cried, I could not put it down, 6 Mar. 2006
I bought this book in the UN shop, New York and did not put it down until I got on the plane back to the UK. The book draws you into a sense of what this poor girl went through and her strength and courage shines through immensely. It will make you laugh and cry and seriously consider your own life and you realize what you take for granted very quickly. It provides you with an insight into the injustice that is the asylum seeking process. Throughout the book, Fauziya remains to be careful of how she explains her detention by the US, she does not appear to be bitter or angry to those that caused her so much suffering which if I were to be in her shoes, I doubt that I would be so calm or understanding.
Fauziya arrived in the US with a fake passport after fleeing her tribe in Togo, Africa but immediately told the immigration she was seeking asylum and that the passport was not hers. The result of this honesty was further imprisonment and injustice. We are constantly informed by the media how people ‘flock to the UK’ trying to be granted asylum but we never stop to think of the stress and fear and uncertainty that these people suffer in the process. We consider the USA to be a country of free speech and of justice in comparison to where Fauziya came from but it is a shame that these principles were forgotten or perhaps ignored when Fauziya arrived but a blessing that the young Law student Layli Miller Bashir, and the team of lawyers that fought for her, came into her life.

5.0 out of 5 stars I cried, I laughed, I could not put it down., 6 Mar. 2006
I have never been touched so much by a book and I praise Fauziya for her faith and strength that got her through the worst journey I have ever heard. I too cried with her and laughed with her and if there is any chance of a follow-up book to tell everyone what she is doing then it needs to hurry up! This is one of those rare books you read and never forget.

4.0 out of 5 stars A real insight into a practice little known in the west..., 20 Mar. 2002
By A Customer
Although the first part of the book is overly long, and quite naively written, Fauziya's background and upbringing is an important part of what follows. The treatment metered out to her Mother after her father dies, and Fauziya's realisation that a polygamous marriage, at the age of 17, is her future, and the requirement that she was to be "cut" as a precursor would panic any sane person into escaping from Togo, her homeland. Her appalling treatment at the hands of the US Immigration Service, when she applies for asylum, beggars belief! This book should have women all over the world, protesting this barbaric practise.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Never Should Have Happened, 31 Aug. 2000
By A Customer
Fauziya's story is, unfortunately, a common one in the US, an also here in England. Following the death of her beloved father, Fauziya's world crumbles when she is told that she is to be married off to a man thirty years her senior. Furthermore, she learns that she will have to undergo the barbaric practice of female genital mutilation (FGM). However she manages to escape and travels to the US to seek asylum. Unfortunatley, she is then imprisoned for being an illegal immigrant. The majority of the book recounts her experiences at the various prisons she was detained at over a period of some 18 months or so. This book is surely an indictment on a country that advocates "Justice" and "free libery"! The prisons are harsh places, often with only basic amenities, and people like Fauziya, whose only "crime" was to legitimately seek asylum, are treated worse than dogs. Surely as we are now in the new Millennium, we should be striving to abolish practices like FGM? A very moving and thought provoking read which I will never forget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting Read, 30 Jun. 2003
Catherine Darlaston (UK) - See all my reviews
This book kept me glued to each and every page throughout. The story is both heart-wrenching and honestly related and you cannot help but become completely immersed in the plight of this poor young and innocent girl. It is compounded by the sadness of the struggle for Fauziya to gain her freedom being kept incarcerated for so long when she had not committed any crime. A must read for all women (and men) who are interested in the plight of the youngsters from developing countries particularly when it is so sad that these barbaric customs are still practiced so widely in our modern world. Fauziya - you truly are an inspiration!

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching/Inspirational/Heartwarming, 18 Nov. 2004
I was drawn to this book as FGM is a subject that has concerned me for some time, Fauziya's strength and courage and her beliefs learned from her family and traditions brought her through her hardships even though these were the traditions that took her away from them to begin with. It has also opened my eyes to the way people are treated when entering any country seeking asylum, this made me grateful for who I am and where I was brought up and how litte my own hardships seem compared to Fauziya's.
For Fauziya..... thank you, I cried with you, I laughed with you, I got excited with you. I truly enjoyed your heartfelt words, May Allah bless you always and may I suggest a follow up book in a few years. I cant wait to know how you have picked up the pieces and destroy the nightmares as I know you have. God Bless!

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting Read, 30 Jun. 2003
Catherine Darlaston (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Humbling, 22 Jan. 2003
Miss NRH Cross (Newark, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I could not put this book down it was really amazing and I loved it. It was an honour to read it and I think I may have shed a tear or two! It made me think really hard about all the women that come into western countries hoping for asylum. The protection they need from all sorts of persecution is paramount and this book taught me a lot. I hope that Fauziya Kassindja is happy and safe now. She really is a survivor!

4.0 out of 5 stars Shocked At Comments, 25 July 2007
This story needed to be told, the pursuit of freedom deisgned to control women through barbaric practices and the lack of choice to say no due to cultural pressure. I am shocked the the reader from London Emma Bryner suggests that Fauziya should have considered going with the flow that is incredibly naieve and belittles every progressive effort made to give greater oportunity, freedom and prosperity to women. The more edcuated we become the more we should applaud those who seek to eradicated practices which are unhealthy, emotionally crippling and have devastating consequences. To suggest anyone should accept mutilation shows an extreme lack of understanding in this matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars from gordiemolly newcastle England, 19 Dec. 2000
This was a very interesting book to read and also very upsetting, i would love to read any other books of this nature if anyone has read any that is simular. It was nice to read a happy ending my heart went out to her.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Do They Hear You When You Cry
Do They Hear You When You Cry by Layli Miller Bashir (Paperback - 31 Dec. 2010)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available