4.0 out of 5 stars Accidental reading but well worth it!
Lee Child has created a masterpice with this book.
Ex-Military Policeman Jack Reacher is arrested by the FBI for a murder he didn't commit. When he finally proves his innocence, the FBI recruit him to try and catch the real killer. So begins a complicated web of events involving the military, the FBI and the Mafia that leaves everyone (including the reader) amazed...
Published on 4 Dec 2002 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but
Pacy, lots of action, keeps you turning the pages, but...
The answer is obvious about half-way through and the misdirections are a little clumsy.
The murderer's method takes a lot of suspended disbelief; it reminded me of a Wilkie Collins device.
There are too many instances where Reacher knows but the reader doesn't. It stops you feeling as though you are...
Published on 10 May 2008 by Will Arnold

‹ Previous | 1 2 368 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Reacher at his best, 3 May 2004
I found this book just browsing at the local library. The synopsis seemed good, so I borrowed it out.
And I'm glad I did!
The story is filled with an outragously addictive plot and special insight into the mind of the hunter and the hunted. I was left feeling a little bemused by the ending as it seemed a twist too far, but I really can't fault it.
Jack Reacher is a gritty hero with a vunerable side that endears him to the reader. His military experience and steadfast moral conscience make for a highly recommended read.
This was the first Lee Child/Jack Reacher novel I read and now I'm hooked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed!, 12 Mar 2006
Queenriderbrekke (Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Not a new book at all - beware previously published by Lee Child as The Visitor. This is stated in the reviews book description but I didn't notice! This almost amounts to fraud on the part of book companies putting books out under two different names! But having said that the book is a very good read the first time around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, entertaining and well written all in one…, 13 Nov 2005
Darren Simons (Middlesex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This was the first Lee Child book I’ve read which focusses on the Jack Reacher character, and it certainly won’t be the last. Reacher is a former US military cop, a loner but violent enough to take the law into his own hands if needed. Two women are murdered, having both been victims of sexual harassment and Reacher is the obvious suspect. Once he convinces the FBI of his innocence he has to figure out who the murderer is.
This book is well written, has some great clues along the way to get you thinking about who the murderer is, and even offers something in terms of the actual characters themselves. I also managed to figure this one out fairly early which for me is a miracle so I’ll definitely be getting another Reacher novel very soon!
Certainly recommended to readers who have not read Lee Child before, and I’m sure Lee Child fans will also find this book a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Visitor, 1 Oct 2003
L. Thorman "Rose" (Bedford, Beds United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was very impressed with 'The Visitor' but regret not knowing that Lee Child had written 3 books before this one. I have now bought all of his books (7) and I am on the 6th one now. I am unable to put his books down as I need to know the ending to them as quickly as possible. I always think I know what the ending will be but then he comes up with a GREAT ending and always one that you never thought about. I have pre-ordered his latest book and know that I will enjoy this as much as all the others. I have enjoyed many books in the past but I can honestly say these are the best. I hope Lee Child writes many more of his Jack Reacher Novels. They are definately a must for thriller fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sucked me right in!, 17 July 2007
I'd never been much of a reader until getting a paperback book for my daughter with a voucher and found myself reading it as I put the shopping away and was amazed to discover I was up to page 11 before I'd realized it. Thus began my love affair with books.

The first REAL book I bought for me to read was The Visitor by Lee Child and this fuelled my desire for thrillers.

So-o-o-o-o-o-o well written and the plot had me almost pulling my hair out trying to fathom out 'who'd dun it', right up until the answer was before me on the page towards the very end of the book.

I'd even asked my husband how he thought these women could be being murdered as he knows a fair bit about forensics but nope...he didn't get it either!

Literally could NOT put this book down and thank heavens that most women are multi-skilled or the spaghetti Bolognese could've been a disaster! Stirring the sauce with one hand while the other held The Visitor. Made for eating it a bit tricky though as Spag Bol is defo a two handed job but....my dear liccle book was open right beside my plate so I could read as I ate.

I not only passed my copy on to another family member, who then passed it on to another...then another....and so on, but I have also recommended it to l-o-a-d-s of other avid readers too and they've all agreed how unputdownable this book really is.

Love the Jack Reacher character and feel as if I know him so well now. He's like a pair of old comfy slippers. You see him mentioned on the back cover of a book and just know it's going to be good!

I've since read every single book that Lee Child has written and while I've enjoyed them all, I think that The Visitor has to remain as my all time Lee Child favourite.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Lee Child pageturner BUT...., 19 July 2001
it requires the reader to turn off to many thought processes if he is not to see through the plot. I love a novel that gives the reader enough clues to do some of the work but these were underlined in neon. The red herrings and twists were enough for me to consider other possibilities and I liked the way they were exposed as Reachers red herrings not just the authors but in the end it did feel like padding. There was a feeling that this book had been written for film which maybe is a reflection of its simplicity. So why 4 stars? because it's another very readable episode. I became a Lee Child fan when I couldn't put down Die Trying. It's not great literature it's just a damn good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lee Child CANNOT be beaten!, 24 Feb 2005
In the last few years on the thriller front, I've moved from early Michael Connelly (OK), through Harlan Coban's Myron Bolitar (excellent), and have now ended up at Lee Child. I'd be surprised (and delighted) if I found any writer better. What can I say? He writes like an angel, his plots have exactly the right degree of complexity, his characters are real people (well, maybe a touch exaggerated)... I have just torn my way through 'The Visitor' - to quote another Child reviewer, 'If you only ever read one book, make it this one! (And then another Reacher novel, and then another - how can you stop?)

5.0 out of 5 stars I think the best plot of the series ... so far, 5 April 2008
Marcus G (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
I've read most but not all of the Jack Reacher series. I think The Vistor has the best detective plot. It kept me guessing throughout the book and then when the conclusion came - it made perfect sense. Sometimes this doesn't happen in the books - the plots are always good but sometimes they are obvious enough to work out or sometimes frankly bizarre. This one is right on the money and I recommend it without reservation.

5.0 out of 5 stars As per usual: couldn't put it down, 30 April 2001
Christine L (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Lee Child delivers yet again! I read this book in a day... Not as good as Tripwire, better than Die Trying, on par with Killing Floor... But they're all great!!! I kind of had it figured out early on, then I decided that I was wrong, went through a couple of other possibilities and finally ended up with the right villain in the end. Just the way a good book should be!

5.0 out of 5 stars this book made me late for work, 12 Jun 2001
By A Customer
I don't normally like books written in the first person but Lee Childs has almost convinced me they can tell a gripping tale.The Visitor, like Tripwire, is a fantastic, spell bindng plot, drawing the reader in, really making them think and almost being able to work it out till the final twist is revealed. This book made me late for work, I could not put it down.

‹ Previous | 1 2 368 | Next ›

The Visitor: (Jack Reacher 4)
The Visitor: (Jack Reacher 4) by Lee Child (Paperback - 6 Jan 2011)