5.0 out of 5 stars A superb page-turner that won't let you go...
Published on 17 July 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars APPARENTLY DID NOT TRY HARD ENOUGH
Lee Child is not a bad writer when it comes to airplane novels. Killing Floor and Tripwire are quite good books. However, DIE TRYING I found wanting in many aspects.

Published on 10 Nov 2009 by NeuroSplicer

2.0 out of 5 stars APPARENTLY DID NOT TRY HARD ENOUGH, 10 Nov 2009
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Without spoiling it for anyone I will just say that the plot is totally unbelievable - well beyond any possible suspension of disbelief. The coincidences are just too many, the reactions of the White House absolutely uncharacteristic and the response of the FBI against every procedural guideline. And the hero is too damn lucky!

For over 100 pages he manages to walk in, out and around the (alerted!) enemy encampment as he pleases. He explores, loots, escapes again and again, rescues, assassinates and saves the day with no trouble. Sure, he is Jack Reacher - but shouldn't the reader be even a little inclined to follow the story without rolling his eyes?

Finally, if one is not inclined to read the most minutiae details of how every single gun is designed, engineered and fired (from the firing pin hitting the bullet, to its path down the striated barrel and the release of the heated gases!), this is not a book I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb page-turner that won't let you go..., 17 July 1999
By A Customer
This is such a fantastic book - I was hooked from the first sentence right through to the end. The author is a master at building suspense and the hits just keep on coming with a book I find impossible to fault. The hero of the book, Jack Reacher is in the wrong place at the wrong time and is taken hostage with an FBI agent - but there's more to this than meets the eye and its going to take all their skill and cunning to come out of this in one piece. Please, do yourself a favour - write off a weekend and read this book - you'll be glad you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best read in ages, 16 May 2006
Niamh O'leary (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is the first Lee Child or Jack Reacher I have read and I couldnt put it down, I am now addicted and have bought three more. This novel is suspence from start to finish and you cant help but wonder if there is any real life Jack Reacher. He reminds me of "Joe Pike" in Robert Craiss' "Elvis Cole" novels. Hes' just super cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely amazing!!!!!, 19 Feb 2002
AT LAST !!!!! A book featuring a real man! I first read The Visitor and liked it, then bought this one....wow!!!!!!! is all I can say. Chilld just knows how to write action in a way that will have anyone gripped. I read the four other current books in three days (I have two jobs) so that will give you some idea as to how gripping they are. This book was my favourite by far. Why? I guess the whole gung Ho macho-ness of fighting militia in the woods mixed with some healthy sexual chemistry has got to be explosive. Reacher is the most amazing character, flawed, funny, strong, intelligent but also believable. By far the best books I have ever read for un-put-down-ility. If they don't make these books into films then Hollywood is crazy. If they can get someone who will play Reacher as I imagine him then they will be in with a hit.
I really can't say enough about this book and have read it three times so far. Sad? Nah, see for yourself just how good an MP can be...girls...you'll fall !

1.0 out of 5 stars I finally finished the bastard, 16 May 2013
Having read and thoroughly enjoyed two later Reacher novels, 'Bad Luck And Trouble' and '61 Hours', I decided I would start at the beginning and read them all. The first book, 'Killing Floor' was fantastic and when done with that I couldn't wait to get started on the next book. Before purchasing, 'Die Trying' I saw lots of poor reviews suggesting I would, 'die trying to read it.' I was becoming a die hard Reacher fan though, and figured 'how bad could it really be?' If you're considering purchasing this, save yourself 8 by following these next simple steps. Grab a blank piece of A4 paper and draw a large square with a stick woman inside. Outside of the square draw a fat stick man and a thin stick man. Then, every night stare blankly at the drawing until you fall asleep. After about 4 months use your finger to punch a hole through the head of the fat man and then set fire to the paper. The end.

1.0 out of 5 stars Review, 23 Dec 2011
Ive read all Jack Reacher novels and they all seem excellent but this is by far the worst. Shockingly bad storyline. You know what will happen from page 4.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 6 Sep 2007
I have now read 5 or 6 Reacher books, but this is the best I've read and the first I've wanted to write a review for. This is the only one where I felt Reacher was outnumbered, out of his depth, and even though you knew he'd come through by the end there was enough uncertainty to keep it edgey.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Jack Reacher Novel - Book 2, 4 Feb 2010
Mr. William Oxley "oxenblocks" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Not a cracking read as book 1 - Killing Floor, where the continuous action keeps you on your toes. Here the action is infrequent and the story unfolds rather slowly.

Jack Reacher unwittingly is involved in the kidnapping of an FBI agent with a dodgy knee, and this makes escape with her, difficult.

Arriving at their final destination the boss reveals his new kingdom to Reacher, rather than merely execute him. And his guards are easily swayed with mind tricks that allows Jack to wonder around the compound.

All the real action takes place in the final few chapters, but there is little in the way of surprises that create a gripping climax.

I am already on to Book 3 (Tripwire) and this is proving to be much more exciting. Maybe domestic terrorism in the US just did not interest me that much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Action packed and keeps you guessing, 4 Feb 2001
Christine L (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Having been introduced to Lee Child's writing and the character Jack Reacher in Tripwire (the next in the series) I quickly went online and got this one and I wasn't disappointed. I'm certain that Lee Child is on to a winner with Jack Reacher.
Comparing Die Trying with Tripwire I'd say that Tripwire comes out on top since its plot and intrigues are stronger. However, I was as impressed by Die Trying as I was with Tripwire when it comes to the quality of the writing and the quality of the research.
I also give thumbs up to Lee Child for yet another book that kept me guessing. If you want to read a book that takes a lot of unpredictable turns, this is one to be recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars OTT and then some, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Die Trying: (Jack Reacher 2) (Paperback)
Child is a great writer who has decided to write utter rubbish. His plots are totally non-credible twaddle even by the standards of non-credible twaddle, but the actual writing style is excellent, and quite gripping. However, having read two of his books I won't be wasting my tine on another.

Die Trying: (Jack Reacher 2)
Die Trying: (Jack Reacher 2) by Lee Child (Paperback - 9 Dec 2010)
5.59