5.0 out of 5 stars A captivating and bloody story with an endearing heroine
This books starts with a bang! Already the first page sets the scene perfectly and the tension and action won't decrease through out the book.

Published on 4 Feb. 2012 by Nimue

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a Read
Every Other Day was my first book by author Jennifer Lynn Barnes and it was right up my street. It was intense, fast paced, exciting and with a kick-ass heroine, trying to overcome a dangerous evil within her home town....what's not to like?

Published on 9 Feb. 2012 by Book Passion for Life

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a Read, 9 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Every Other Day (Paperback)

Kali is a 16 year old high student by day and every 24 hours she turns into a bad ass demon hunter by night. While at school one day she notices a mark on the back of one of the popular girls and realises that the girl has been marked to die. Kali makes it her mission to try and help the girl but instead, she ends up with the mark on herself and is soon on a mission to save herself before her time is up.

I liked the overall premise of this story and it was a really easy read. I really found myself enjoying the characters too. Kali is just the type of heroine we need from young adult books. She's a very interesting character, one that is strong, stubborn and sarcastic but she's also loyal, determined and her personality really drives this story forward - it really gets this story kicking off pretty well. Kali wasn't the only character I liked; Skylar was another favourite of mine. I loved her personality and her bubbly attitude and I loved the banter between her and her brother.

Even though I thoroughly enjoyed Every Other Day, I cannot help feel that something was missing and for me that was romance. There is a slight hint of it between Kali and Zev but it's such a weird and complex relationship I wasn't entirely sure I understood it. So I didn't love it but that's not to say that the next book will be the same. The ending of this book left me wanting to know what happens next and I especially want to know happens to all our characters and of course, I want more romance.

Overall, Jennifer Lynn Barnes has managed to create an interesting and imaginable world with Every Other Day and I've got a feeling that this series will just get better and better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A captivating and bloody story with an endearing heroine, 4 Feb. 2012
Nimue (Cambridge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Every Other Day (Paperback)

I like how the title already picks up the theme for the book. And the cover too. Originally I was wondering about this bloody sandglass, but as soon as you start reading you realise just how appropriate this image is. I hope you are not overly squeaky about blood because there is a lot in this story.

Kali is not your usual teenage girl. She has a dark, predatory side and though she doesn't understand or know why she is like she is, she embraces it fully. Kali sometimes almost scares me. She is very determined. She has a kind heart but is at the same time she is also quite ruthless. In a way she sees the world in black and white; good and evil and after coming to a conclusion she just goes through with her mission.

The whole story centres around Kali but there are a few interesting supporting characters, who add to the overall story. Kali is mainly an absolute loner, not only because she just changed schools, but she is also not interested in anybody, as she has to hide her dark secret. Bethany is the girl she decides to help. She is a very popular, pretty cheerleader and when Kali saves her, she kind of feels obliged to help Kali in return. I loved the bitchy and sarcastic dialogues between these two. So hilarious. And then there is the supposedly psychic girl Skylar, who completely ignores Kali's rough and unfriendly behaviour and nevertheless integrates her into her group of outsiders. She is a close second when it comes to ironic and funny comments. She also has some fascinating aces up her sleeves. Be surprised!

The plot was fast-paced and full of unexpected twists. There is a lot of genetics and biology, which I love as a science geek. It's very obvious that the author is a scientist herself and I love how she integrates her knowledge into the story. The story line was overall very fascinating and I would have never ever predicted the outcome. And I have to point out that this is for once no romance story. This is positively remarkable as most YA stories centre on some romantic relationship. Every Other Day is Kali's story. Sometimes bloody, sometimes emotional, occasional funny, but always captivating. At the moment this book is a standalone publication but for once I wish there would be another book coming. I really wouldn't mind reading more about Kali.

* review copy courtesy of publisher via NetGalley *

5.0 out of 5 stars another winner, 28 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Every Other Day (Kindle Edition)
Always an enjoyable read, Jennifer Lynn Barnes has come up up with a new plot idea that will hold your interest

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant, 16 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Every Other Day (Paperback)
At first I found it hard to lose myself in the first person narrative. I wanted to love it, I was intrigued by the storyline and the idea of Kali, the main character, but I found it difficult to believe her. I'm not sure why, but it quickly wore off and I was utterly absorbed.

The story was a brilliant, clever twist on the supernatural world; a proper roller coaster of emotions throughout - my adrenaline was pumping, heart racing and I cried at the end. Buckets.

Every time I thought I had it figured out, it went somewhere else. Pure genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real compelling read, 10 July 2012
J Juckes "Hades2" (, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Every Other Day (Paperback)
I really thought this book was excellent. It gripped me from start to finish. This book ticked all the right boxes, it had great characters, a fabulous and fast paced plot and an ending that was very worthy of the book. I am so glad I read this book.

I did enjoy all of the mystical and magical beasties and preternaturals in this book. There were some very exciting fighting scenes; Kali can seriously kick-butt. I love the main character Kali; she is such an interesting person. Not every sixteen year old has to put up with half of what she does, but she copes well, even when she has the most terrifying situations thrown at her. It can't be easy one day being human and the next day a fearless huntress. It would mess anyone's head up. Bravo to girl power. There were other characters that really stood out for me, Skylar and Bethany, both were very different girls to each other but they had some really good qualities. I really liked the camaraderie between the girls when they were faced with difficult times. Before the incident with the Chupacabra Bethany wasn't really in Kali's or Skylar's circles.

This is the first book I have ever read by Jennifer Lynn Barnes and I can't wait to get my mitts on another one of her books. Her writing style is so fluid; I was drinking up the pages. It's such a lovely feeling when the story is flowing, you can really feel yourself get into the book.

It's not often I give a book top marks, but this one certainly deserves it. I would highly recommend this book. I'm not sure whether this is a series, I really do hope so as I would love to read more about Kali.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Treat for the UF Teen, 30 Mar. 2012
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Every Other Day (Paperback)
Having really enjoyed Jennifer's YA Wolves series, I really was looking forward to seeing what she'd come up with when a new series was in the offing. This title, brings everything that she does so well in her other books and blends it into a Buffyesque type world that really gives the reader a real treat.

Add to this solid prose, a great sense of pace and when tied in to Jennifer's wonderfully descriptive plotline alongside some great twists and as a reader you know that you're going to feel satisfied by the final page, although with some of the tales aspects, the reader is going to find out that she plays for keeps. Magic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Every Other Day By Jennifer Lynn Barnes, 26 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Every Other Day (Paperback)
I was mega excited when I received this book to review. I've had Jennifer's previous books on my shelf for a while, but as often happens I just hadn't gotten to reading them yet. In some ways I think this could be a positive thing as I wasn't reading it expecting other characters to pop up or another storyline to be there.

The cover is awesome. I love the idea of the blood filled hour glass - such a subtle yet sinister cover image.

I'd never thought of an idea like this before and so it was a very new reading perspective for me. When you think of it, it would be so hard to adjust to having super human powers one day and the next being just a mere mortal. You could imagine yourself getting into sticky situations when its definitely not the right day to do so.

I actually found the story somewhat reminiscent of Buffy the Vampire Slayer - a very normal looking girl, that can do extraordinary things. I did find the urges of Kali more like Faith though - the renegade Slayer who lived for the kill.
The descriptions are particularly vivid and brutal, which had me going Ewwww a few times. Secretly though I do like a gross out session now and again.

Jennifer has a great way of tidying up the back story in a quick way, but done early on. I often find it frustrating when you keep going back over old ground or when you are out of the loop on something. Big thumbs up to Jennifer!!

The world of Kali is quite like ours today, but with supernatural creatures thrown into the mix. Obviously that is a fantasy element, but this didn't feel like a fantasy story to me at all and I think that fact made it even more enjoyable to me. It was a place that was somewhat relate able too and not totally foreign.

The book takes quite a unique turn for a YA book in my opinion and I really enjoyed this. I didn't see it coming and a surprise is always fantastic!!!

The only thing is, I was left wondering if there is more to come and I still don't know.....Is there????

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of fun, 5 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Every Other Day (Paperback)
Well, my primary criticism of this book would be that it felt like it could have been shorter. There were one or two scenes that didn't seem too important for the plot or character development. My second and final gripe is about the introduction of several interesting characters at the beginning of the book who then failed to make a reappearance until the end - at which point I had lost any connection to the minor characters.
Well, that's my nit-picking out the way! This book is entertaining and the writing style worked well - a mix of action, gore and humour that's easy to absorb.

Kali has to come to terms with the fact that although she's part monster this does not mean that her human side needs to stay isolated from others. However, when she finally makes a set of friends, she learns the sad lesson that caring for others can bring with it a greater pain and uncertainty than loneliness. The people she cares about are all more fragile than her - every other day -so that every obstacle they have to overcome means Kali has to experience putting her feelings and heart on the line.

Kali has a distinctive voice - once I got over the feeling that some of the scenes were too extended - I found her likable.
If you liked Paranormalcy and The Mortal Instruments (TMI), you'll enjoy elements of this story.

4.0 out of 5 stars I challenge anyone not to admire Kali's awesome slaying skills!, 7 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Every Other Day (Paperback)
With a synopsis like nothing I've ever read before and having enjoyed one of Jennifer's earlier books, Raised by Wolves, I was dying to get my hand on Every Other Day. I am glad to say that this action packed paranormal, urban fantasy did not disappoint.

Darwin not only returned from his voyage on the HMS Beagle with the experiences which formed the basis of his theories on natural selection, he returned having discovered a hydra. Subsequently over the following two hundred years scientists have discovered an entirely new genus known as preternaturals. These 37 species, including Dragons, Zombies, Hellhound and Chupacabra's, with their triple helix DNA, are believed to be the product of a different pathway of evolution from our own.

No longer the stuff of folk laws and horror stories the existence of these creatures is accepted by society. Although viewable as exhibits in zoo's, studied by scientists and even protected by the government on endangered species lists, they are largely ignored by society. A zombie attack is merely and inconvenience dealt with a simple phone call.

This acceptance is rather problematic for Kali who spend half her existence consumed with a blood lust and compelled to hunt and destroy preternatural creatures. The illegality of her activities, the innate violence of her demon hunting self has and her overwhelming aversion of becoming a specimen, has her hiding her true nature from society and from the one person in the world she should be able to be honest with, her scientist father.

Jennifer Lynn Barnes excels at creating likeable, kick ass female characters who, despite their extraordinary talents or situations, manage to maintain an air of relatable normality.

I challenge anyone not to admire Kali's awesome slaying skills while in demon hunting mode or her protective instincts, despite her fragile human form. You cannot fail to fall for the charms of Skylar, an eccentric mother hen with her collection of "odd ball" friends, a feisty younger sister to five over protective brothers who could possibly be just a little bit psychic. Skylar infuses humour, unconditional support and warmth in to Kali's life. Even the popular and permanently snarky cheerleader Beth refuses to keep to type. I was completely won over by her dogged loyalty and quest for truth not to mention her emotional strength.

While the female characters are well drawn the male characters felt very much like supporting cast members. I hope that if the author continues Kali's story we get to learn more about Skylar's siblings and the mysterious Zev.

Every Other Day is a fast pasted, action filled, paranormal rollercoaster ride with exciting, edge of your seat fight scenes, emotional highs and lows, not to mention the odd blindsiding plot twist. The violence is very graphic and the main character is perpetually covered in blood, so if you have a weak disposition you might want to think twice before picking up a copy! Now excuse me while I go and download Raised by Wolves: Trial by Fire.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant @Books Glorious Books, 6 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Every Other Day (Paperback)
When I got this book through the letterbox and saw that it was by Jennifer Lynn Barnes I cannot tell you how excited I got. I love, love, love Raised by Wolves!!!

This book was something else entirely though. I really enjoyed its originality and the intensity of the action that occurred right from the very start.

For me the most amazing part of the book was the plot. At times reading this book gave me an adrenaline rush just from how exciting it was. The plot was chocked full of action packed fights and suspense filled conversations adding to the mystery of Kali's 'condition'.

And Kali's 'condition' for lack of a better word was probably the best part about the read. It was like a constant countdown to something really great happening or something really dreadful. A constant waiting game.

Of course, I can't carry on this review without talking about Zev. An essential character completely shrouded by mystery. Even at the end of the book nothing much is revealed about Zev but it seems better that way somehow. I feel like if everything was revealed about him he wouldn't have made as big as an impact in the story as he was supposed to.

The only real criticism I have is that, for me at least, the ending was way too abrupt. I felt a little frustrated with the way it ended because so much effort was put into Kali getting to the end and then it just stopped with no real ending.

Overall I definitely recommend this read to absolutely everyone who likes this kind of read because it is well, well worth it.

Every Other Day
Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (Paperback - 2 Feb. 2012)