5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best photography books for beginners
Published on 22 Nov. 2011 by Willem

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
alright
Published 22 days ago by Barbara Peat

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best photography books for beginners, 22 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Complete Guide to Digital Photography (Paperback)
This book is a great reference for taking, processing and printing better-looking photos. However, apart from being a reference, the book is filled with assignments and discussed photography and all it facets, ranging from photography subjects (portraits, landscapes, travel photography, nature and wildlife, etc.) to the digital darkroom. Photo editing is often neglected in books for photography enthousiasts even though we hardly ever see an unprocessed image these days. Although there are better books on editing, there are few that provide so much detail for quick fixes to improve your photos. And those quick fixes will improve your photos dramatically without taking too much time and leaving not enough time to take even better photos. Great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete Guide to Digital Photography, 20 Nov. 2011
Mr. David B. Wright "Berk" (Mumbles, Swansea, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Complete Guide to Digital Photography (Paperback)
Ian Farrell explains the intricacies of operating a digital camera with simplicity and detail. The examples and case studies are excellent. In the fallow period of dark autumn days this is a complete work for the overhaul of our camera techniques. It is amazing how few of the many alternatives we use, but Farrell does expand the knowledge and operational choices of aperture, focus, ISO and shutter speed. This is an excellent reference library for the dedicated amateur photographer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Digital Photography Book I've Ever Read!, 2 Feb. 2012
Billy's Grandad (Oldham, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Complete Guide to Digital Photography (Paperback)
This book really is the best digital photography book I've ever read and I've read quite a few. It has the advantage, I suppose, of being new and bang up to date but the clarity of explanations of technical features and procedures sets it apart from all others. I found the sections involving Photoshop to be very clearly explained and the final section of assignments is inspiring. I could go on, but I'll just say..."buy it!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide for budding photographers, 4 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Complete Guide to Digital Photography (Paperback)
Taking a good photograph is only half the story. What you can then do with software such as photoshop completes the picture. This book shows clearly, in easy to access chapters, how to achieve both. As a guide it is comprehensive but simple to dip in and out of according to your needs. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars At first, I like the way the book is made up of many chapter headings, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Complete Guide to Digital Photography (Paperback)
On arrival I was a little overwhelmed, as it's a larger than expected and with 400+ pages seems comprehensive. At first, I liked the way the book is made up of many chapters, but short chapters, so you can get into what it is you want, without having to wade through a woeful volume of words, but later found myself saying 'Get on with it' - first instance when I read some mention of HDR and then a forward reference to seeing more in Chapter so-an-so.

So, my first 'read' of the book was a slow thumb through the pages and, for myself, I found several topics I want to go back to....though several of those topics relate more to Photoshop than the camera. Doubtless there are interesting topics of cetain styles of photograh that will prove useful.

The book will prove very useful to many people, if only for brief explantions - a reference rather than learning source. No bad things. But I am left with mixed feelings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for someone entering the world of great photography, 17 Jan. 2013
A Complete Guide to Digital Photography
I have bought several books about digital photography but have to say that I like this one the most. Very well written with a lot of examples and settings how to achieve them.
Now, I just need to go out and try some of the tips and tricks. I have already seen huge improvement in the way how I approach composition and camera settings - photos are just so much better compared to where I was before.

Recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good info., 29 May 2014
This review is from: Complete Guide to Digital Photography (Paperback)
Great for me as a beginner as there is plain English explanations of what my camera can do and how it works. Worth pointing out though that half of this weighty book is dedicated to explanations of how to use Photoshop in particular. I've used Serif PhotoPlus for so long now I don't want to change! Some information is transferable though so not a total disaster!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book, 10 Oct. 2012
Mr. C. Gough "Happy days" (england, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Complete Guide to Digital Photography (Paperback)
This book is great if your a newbie or even if you already have experience, it actually is interesting instead of super boring like other ones

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only buy only one DSLR book. make sure it's this one., 21 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Complete Guide to Digital Photography (Paperback)
I spent some considerable time in a book store perusing the photography manuals on offer. I kept coming back to this one. It is well laid out clear and concise. It gets you to the point without the usual waffle. At the time however I baulked at paying £16.99.
I am so glad I did as the price I paid on Amazon [£9.60 including postage] makes me feel I have a gem at an absolute bargain price.
Chapters are interspersed with "assignments" encouraging you to put into practice what you have learned from the book. Included in the chapters is a guide to photo editing and retouching with photoshop...........the digital darkroom.
Ian Farrell can be proud of this publication.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for beginner or experienced photographer, 11 May 2013
A. Matthews (Reading, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Complete Guide to Digital Photography (Paperback)
I've been taking photographs for a long time, and don't think of myself as a complete novice, but there is always new stuff to learn but there are many sources of information which can, at times, confuse - either too 'clever', too complicated, or even too simple.
I came across this book by chance and have been really impressed by it - I find that it is pitched 'just right'.
It is well written, well illustrated, well structured and is very, very readable.
I've started and failed to engage with a lot of books on digital photography, but this one is just great. Highly recommended.

Complete Guide to Digital Photography
Complete Guide to Digital Photography by Ian Farrell (Paperback - 27 Oct. 2011)
Used & New from: £5.11