5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
The whole trilogy is fantastic.
Published 5 months ago by Mr. Guy Cunningham

2.0 out of 5 stars So far, so bad
Well, I am 100 pages into this book so far and I am not impressed. It so far looks like a rehash of the first two books - a catch-up if you will.I havent picked this book up for 3 days now and am not particularly missing it. I find it very hard going and disjointed. I may finish it, I may not - for me that isnt the sign of a book that is going places...
Published on 1 Mar 2012 by Chuckles

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars So far, so bad, 1 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Mayan Destiny: Book Three of The Mayan Trilogy (Paperback)

**Update** I have trudged my way through about 40 more pages and it has got better. It is still very random and rambling. I honestly cannot see how a coherent ending can be recovered from all the loose ends I have read so far.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3rd book in ongoing series, 20 Mar 2012
Three successive generations of the Gabriel family have now been involved in the race to save the Earth from itself. This novel finally brings them all together, no mean feat when at least one of them has been dead for decades. The action moves from 2047 back to 1990 and then forward again to the eve of the apocalyptic event the Mayans predicted in 2012.

Immanuel `Manny' Gabriel is the focus for much of this novel, this is a nice touch as he spent much of The Mayan Resurrection (book two) overshadowed by his sibling, Jacob. There are some good moments where Manny gets the opportunity to revisit some key scenes from the previous novels, but the author has subtly tweaked them to give a slightly differing perspective than before.

Time travel has always struck me as a tricky story element to get right, there is always the possibility that you are going to lose your audience if you make things overly complex when you are write about it. Time loops, past lives, parallel time lines, temporal paradoxes and the like seem to exist just to trip an author up. Alten manages to handle this all quite well and I was able to follow the various cross-dimensional action without any degree of difficulty.

The same criticism I leveled at book two is still true in book three. At times there is a distinct over indulgence of fact that interrupts the flow of the fiction. Don't get me wrong, I understand that a certain amount of exposition is required but there does seem to be an awful lot of it. Like its predecessor, this novel is very nearly six hundred pages long and I think it could have been trimmed down a bit. Losing some of the more detailed explanations would not have done any harm.

That small gripe aside I did actually enjoy the story. The series has successfully morphed from a thriller with science fiction elements (book one) into full-on galaxy spanning sci-fi (book three). Alten has written the literary equivalent of a shell game and the reader has to pay close attention or risk losing sight of the cup that contains the pea under it.

Looking around at reviews elsewhere I think that Alten is a bit of a marmite author, you either connect with his work and enjoy the ride or don't. I can appreciate that this series is not for everyone, there is lots of back and forth that some readers may find confusing, personally I enjoyed the challenge of trying to keep up. The best advice I can give is that, if you enjoyed the first two books then you will enjoy this one as well. Conversely I should also stress that the book will be utterly confusing if you haven't read books one and two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
Mr. Guy Cunningham (TADCASTER YORKSHIRE) - See all my reviews
The whole trilogy is fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars makes you wonder, 8 April 2014
I would recommend that you buy the three books at once, otherwise you will loose the thread. Makes a good holiday read, you can immerse yourself in the plot. Really gets the old grey matter going. Is it real? Has or is this really going on? No one will ever tell us if it is. Will make you look at life differently, and questioning. You won't take things in life at face value again.

2.0 out of 5 stars a bit heavy, 18 Jan 2014
the whole series is a bit heavy for me, not my type of read at all but would please sci fi fans

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as much bite, 31 Aug 2013
It is 2047: fourteen years since Jacob Gabriel descended into the Mayan netherworld, while his twin brother turned from their chosen path, opting to remain behind. Immanuel Gabriel - still running from the forces that hunt his bloodline - believes his actions proved his role in the Mayan prophecy to be nothing but an ancient myth. Now, though, he will realize his mistake. As the prophecy begins to repeat itself and mankind once again faces annihilation, Immanuel learns there was only ever one person with the power to end the cycle of destruction: himself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its Okay, 12 Aug 2013
I'm usually quite generous in my star ratings on Amazon,but this book was so far fetched compared to the first 2
and they were enough.
Don't get me wrong I enjoyed them but sometimes I got so lost. One minute I am in present day South Amercia and the
next in some strange Dimension which I can't pronounce let alone spell.
Having said that I will probaly get the fourth part when and if it comes out just to find out what happens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 4 April 2013
Wonderful service, quick and efficient delivery. Product is exactly what I asked for. Good value for money. Overall, very impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 22 Feb 2013
Pre ordered... and it arrived sooner than expected. This is a great book but you have to get the trilogy... totally recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good read along with the other two books in the series, 30 Jan 2013
A Good read along with the other two books in the series nothing else to say about them worth a read

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Mayan Destiny: Book Three of The Mayan Trilogy
The Mayan Destiny: Book Three of The Mayan Trilogy by Steve Alten (Paperback - 16 Feb 2012)