Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 October 2011
A beautifully written book. It is a tribute to the Scottish poet, Norman MacCaig, but is much more than this. It is an absorbing overview of the author's
view on life and his friendship with other men who have been attracted to the cultural group that surrounded MacCaig. Added to this, the author offers a captivating view of the north-west Highlands of Scotland.
on 4 January 2015
A perfect book! Introduced me to Norman MacCaig's poems, which I did not know. I have to go to the Assynt after reading this book.
on 20 February 2013
I enjoyed the book despite poetry not being my thing. That doesn't matter as the characters are human and the story touching.
on 16 October 2015
Highly recommend this book and if you can get to hear Andrew Greig talk about it and read from it you will be delighted.
on 21 June 2015
A most enjoyable book, full of real characters and places. Very readable.
on 5 November 2014
A lovely book,very evocative of that part of Scotland.
on 28 October 2013
This is one of the most wonderful books I think I have ever read. Poetic and insightful, deeply moving and reflective.
I have recommended it to many friends - particularly those who visit and know Scotland.
on 13 November 2013
I really enjoyed this book. A lyrical description of the Assynt area which makes me want to re-visit and an affirmation of the only way to get to truly know a place is to walk in it and meet others who enjoy it.
on 30 December 2010
Andrew Greig is a gift to Scotland. Or a gift from Scotland? Both. This book is so gorgeously written it took my breath away.
on 8 July 2013
Bought this book for my husband who is a fisherman and reads a little. Since then he has recommended it to many friends and myself, we have all enjoyed it immensely. It has wide appeal.