5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable achievement
The last time writer Andrew Greig visited elderly Scottish poet Norman MacCaig before his death, he asked where his favorite place in the world was. MacCaig, who divided his life between Edinburgh and Assynt in the far north-west replied that it was a remote hill loch. It had been many years since Norman had been fit enough to visit the spot, and he asked Andrew Greig to...
Published on 18 April 2010 by doublegone

3.0 out of 5 stars almost
I like Maccaig and know Assynt well and, as a climber, had read Greig's Everest book many years ago.I very much enjoyed the first half of this book - which is beautifully and perceptively written. I felt, however, that the whole was less than the sum of its parts and became a little disappointed by what seemed to me to be an over zealous attempt to knit together too...
Published on 6 July 2012 by Andrew Ogilvie

5.0 out of 5 stars Scottish Treasure, 30 Dec 2010
E. Greig (scotland) - See all my reviews
Andrew Greig is a gift to Scotland. Or a gift from Scotland? Both. This book is so gorgeously written it took my breath away.

4.0 out of 5 stars Put another log on the fire., 29 Aug 2014
R. A. Straton (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
A nice old tale which wanders off from time to time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Read, 13 Nov 2013
I really enjoyed this book. A lyrical description of the Assynt area which makes me want to re-visit and an affirmation of the only way to get to truly know a place is to walk in it and meet others who enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loch of Green Corrie, 9 Nov 2013
I do not have any interest in fishing, so was not expecting much delight from this story. What a mistake. Beautifully written,

really interesting tale, of a man finding himself as well as the evasive Loch .Descriptions really do bring the land to life.

If you love Scotland you will not be disappointed by this book, if you do not know Scotland, this will give every encouragement

to go. An experience that I will discover again and again as I reread this book which has really given pause for thought

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT book !, 28 Oct 2013
This review is from: At the Loch of the Green Corrie (Paperback)
This is one of the most wonderful books I think I have ever read. Poetic and insightful, deeply moving and reflective.
I have recommended it to many friends - particularly those who visit and know Scotland.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Read, 8 July 2013
Bought this book for my husband who is a fisherman and reads a little. Since then he has recommended it to many friends and myself, we have all enjoyed it immensely. It has wide appeal.

5.0 out of 5 stars At the Loch of the Green Corrie, 18 April 2012
This review is from: At the Loch of the Green Corrie (Paperback)
The best book I have ready in many years. Lyrical prose and deep compassion revealed profound insights relating to both inner and outer worlds.
Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars So nearly very good, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: At the Loch of the Green Corrie (Paperback)
This book was so nearly very good, but sadly it subsided into morbid self-obsession.

Andrew Greig has published a few novels (including "The Return of John Macnab", which would certainly rank among my fifty favourite novels) along with several volumes of verse, and it was his work as a poet that brought him to the attention of elderly Scottish poet Norman MacCaig. At a meeting not long before MacCaig's death Greig promised to fish at the Loch of the Green Corrie, a site in Assynt (the far North West of Scotland). This book details the expedition that Greig and two of his friends undertook to make good that promise.

Greig's prose is generally lucid and incisive (presumably as a consequence of his talent as a poet), and when he is describing the landscape of Assynt the book is enchanting, as it also is when he talks about (and extensively quotes from) MacCaig's poems. However, too much of the book dwells on torrid episodes from Greig's own past, and to my mind these mar the flow of the book.

I am glad that I read this, but I would hesitate to recommend it to anyone who does not have my own love of the Highlands, Read his "The Return of John Macnab" or even John Buchan's original "John Macnab" instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite my thing, 27 Sep 2011
This review is from: At the Loch of the Green Corrie (Paperback)
I also found the episodic nature of the book made me lose interest. For me it didn't quite hit the spot as an evocative account of space and place like say Alan Moorhead does for instance, and I found the frequent diversions and reverie a bit distracting and not well connected to the main thread of the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but..., 18 Dec 2010
I bought this on the basis of the reviews and the TV prog. - it is perhaps overhyped - interesting but episodic and lost my interest as it went on. If you want to learn about life, aging, experience etc better to buy Norman McCaig's collected works and start your journey there - "And the lights flood down, revealing mountains and flowers and so many shadows. If only a merlin would hurtle past, that atom of speed, that molecule of life."

At the Loch of the Green Corrie
At the Loch of the Green Corrie by Andrew Greig (Paperback - 3 Mar 2011)
6.29