5.0 out of 5 stars A good read
I recommend this book to anybody who has an interest in this period of history. A good story intertwined with a well researched history of Englands first police force. I enjoyed it very much, I am now reading the second book 'Fire Ship'
Published 2 months ago by George

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Very disappointing. I thought "New author, may be a series which I will enjoy". The book plods along, there are very few believable characters. At the end of the book I had formed no view of any of the characters, they remained quite faceless and I knew no more of the water police than before I opened the book. I certainly knew nothing of the thriving river Thames and its...
Published on 5 Jun 2011 by J. G. Craig

5.0 out of 5 stars First Classs Historical Novel, 8 Jun 2013
An absorbing read, having read both of Patrick Easter's books in the series I cannot wait for the third. Excellent

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD READING, 7 May 2013
This review is from: The Watermen (Tom Pascoe 1) (Paperback)
A GOOD BOOK BASED IN HISTORICAL TIMES, CHARACTERS ARE BELIEABLE, MY ONLY COMPLAINT WAS THAT THE BOOK WAS TOO SHORT

4.0 out of 5 stars really good, 9 Mar 2013
This was really well worth the money and was perfect when it arrived no damage and in prompt time, recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great novel, 14 Feb 2013
Mr. P. Hibbert (Hull,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Watermen (Tom Pascoe 1) (Paperback)
The Waterman by Patrick Easter I normally take a week to read a book this book I read in 3 days
just could not wait to pick it up. A great novel of naval history,crime and passion can,t wait to recieve
the second Tom Pascoe.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent first attempt : well-written and enjoyable, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Watermen (Tom Pascoe 1) (Paperback)
Overall, I think this was a good find !

I can't say that the plot is startlingly original, but I do say that it is well-written, informative, proof-read ( almost rare in this day and age !) and that I will certainly read any more offerings from Patrick Easter.

The characters are good enough ( although, I will admit they could be better rounded and developed ). Unlike some reviewers, I did care about them. The historical setting is evoked well enough to allow me to enjoy it and imagine the settings, although I think the river scenes are better than the land-based ones. I liked the scenes around the Lea, when he was investigating the 'off-Thames' storage.

I general, I think this is a good first effort. Many things can be improved, but many things are also good. The good and fluent writing makes up for minor shortcomings in the characterisation and plot as far as I am concerned.

I will say though, that I think Easter may need to place his 'genre-marker' more firmly for the next novel. Is this thriller, detective, action... it may help determine how his characters develop, and work together.

Enjoyable: a good read !!

2.0 out of 5 stars Pedestrian, without a seamans rolling gait!, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Watermen (Tom Pascoe 1) (Paperback)
A tale as tough as a dog's chew to enjoy. The plot and characters are clearly laid out leaving no room for surprises in a very pedestrian novel. Clever twists in the plot? Sorry, no! Convincingly written? Sorry, no! Thrilling action? Nope! Sadly included in this sorry tale is a poorly constructed 'love' interest involving ... Oh, you guessed it, the hero and the dastardly villain who before joining HMS navy... Oh, I can't be bothered!
Note to author: creating a 'historical' framework doesn't automatically assure a good novel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wapping re-visited, 25 April 2012
I have only discovered the present-day Wapping in the last five years or so-----especially it's marvellous pubs!!!!!!!It was, therefore, a wonderful treat to literally 'stumble' across Patrick Easter's marvellous novel, 'The Waterman'. It is a 'rip-roaring' historical murder adventure that takes the reader back to the 18th century and the less 'respectable' days of Wapping and Shadwell as well as the establishment of the river police ( who are still based there).

I am already looking forward to reading Mr Easter's next novel, 'The River of Fire'.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Start, 6 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Watermen (Hardcover)
I picked this up as I like the genre and have been following the McGee Hawkwood series of the same era. pleasantly surprised and looking forward to see how the characters develop.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great Napoleonic Crime title, 6 April 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Watermen (Hardcover)
If you've enjoyed the stories of Matthew Hawkwood by James McGee then you may well want to give this title by Patrick Easter a go. Whilst the jacket text isn't exactly thrilling, the title within is definitely worth the time as our hero has a realistic feel, has come fully fledged from a former Met Water Police Officers imagination and the sailing terms whilst there are kept to a minimum so as not to confuse the reader.

Add to this a great arch villain for Tom Pascoe to battle against, a woman torn between our two principle protagonists and you know that it's a book that will go all out in a no holds barred battle of the law vs criminality. A great title all in and one that really did keep me entertained with its great prose, decent dialogue and outstanding characters. A real triumph from this authors fictional debut.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Watermen is as dull as dishwater, 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Watermen (Tom Pascoe 1) (Paperback)
I was really looking forward to this as a reviewer here had posted that the protagonist, Tom Pascoe, had filled the gap left by Andrew Pepper's Pyke character. Sorry, but I cannot see any resemblance at all. Tom Pascoe is totally dull and completely one-dimensional - as are all the characters in this novel. Like another reviewer here, I too couldn't get over the ridiculous hospital setting where 20th century nurses seem to have stepped into the pages. Wasn't it Florence Nightingale, some 50 years later, who changed men's perceptions and managed to get females into nursing? The love interest story is akin to Mills & Boon (I read one recently just to see if they had improved, sadly no). Three-quarters of the way through and I actually gave up reading because I really could not care two hoots about what happened to anyone in this sorry saga. If anyone can recommend historical novels with well-rounded, three dimensional characters and heroes who have a touch of anti-hero about them, please post me a message here. I'm getting desperate for Andrew Pepper to write another novel.

ARRAY(0xb0b90a50)

The Watermen (Tom Pascoe 1)
The Watermen (Tom Pascoe 1) by Patrick Easter (Paperback - 5 Jan 2012)
5.99