Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 August 2014
A good story set in London's docklands
on 15 May 2015
I bought this book after reading a review of one of the later books in the series about Tom Pascoe. I will not be buying the others. A clumsy, muddled and tedious story poorly told.
on 1 June 2015
Excellent historical novel in a "new" setting - not Tudor England for a change! Good characters, atmosphere and sense of time and place.
on 10 August 2013
Lightweight , holiday reading
Might buy next in series if going on holiday or travelling
Give it to friends or charity shop
on 13 February 2013
Overall, I think this was a good find !

I can't say that the plot is startlingly original, but I do say that it is well-written, informative, proof-read ( almost rare in this day and age !) and that I will certainly read any more offerings from Patrick Easter.

The characters are good enough ( although, I will admit they could be better rounded and developed ). Unlike some reviewers, I did care about them. The historical setting is evoked well enough to allow me to enjoy it and imagine the settings, although I think the river scenes are better than the land-based ones. I liked the scenes around the Lea, when he was investigating the 'off-Thames' storage.

I general, I think this is a good first effort. Many things can be improved, but many things are also good. The good and fluent writing makes up for minor shortcomings in the characterisation and plot as far as I am concerned.

I will say though, that I think Easter may need to place his 'genre-marker' more firmly for the next novel. Is this thriller, detective, action... it may help determine how his characters develop, and work together.

Enjoyable: a good read !!
on 13 April 2012
This is a wonderful novel.I find it hard to belive that this is the authors first novel,it's written so well.I couldn't put it down and finished it the same day as it was delivered.If you love historical thrillers,this one is for you.
on 18 June 2012
As I was born and brought up alongside the Thames at Wapping and write about the area myself, I was pre-proposed to like The Waterman and I'm glad to say I wasn't disappointed with Patrick Easter's debut novel.
Through no fault of his own our hero, Tom Pascoe finds himself striped of his captaincy of an East Indian Company merchant ship and forced to become a Surveyor in the newly constituted Thames Police based on the river in Wapping.
It is evident in every page of the book that Mr Easter not only knows the river very well but has researched the historical details meticulously. He nicely sets all the protagonists for what I hope will be an exciting series. I've already ear-marked The River of Fire as my September holiday read.
Jean.
Hold on to Hope
on 17 August 2015
Good read and good introduction to the world of chief character Tom Pascoe.
on 10 April 2011
'The Watermen' is what it says on the cover - a first rate historical thriller! Given it's title it is a real refreshing setting for a historical thriller - the Port of London and the murky Thames!. The book is wonderfully atmospheric with its descriptions of the Georgian streets, the London Fogs and the crime infested Thames. The characters come to life within the first few pages and you are taken up with the tide of the book which moves at a great pace. The plot has been well thought out and there are twists and turns with each chapter, culiminating in all the characters being drawn together. The hero of the book is Tom Pascoe a River Surveyor for the newly formed Marine Police whose job it is to aprehend the criminals on the Thames who are stealing the cargoes of the ships coming in to the Port of London sugar, spices silks etc.

This is a wonderfully well researched and atmospheric novel that I would recommend without reservation - Mr Tom Pascoe is a hero we should be reading more about as further books are planned - Patrick Easter should definitely be added to your list of favourite historical thriller writers! I can't wait to read the Tom's next adventure!
on 25 April 2012
I have only discovered the present-day Wapping in the last five years or so-----especially it's marvellous pubs!!!!!!!It was, therefore, a wonderful treat to literally 'stumble' across Patrick Easter's marvellous novel, 'The Waterman'. It is a 'rip-roaring' historical murder adventure that takes the reader back to the 18th century and the less 'respectable' days of Wapping and Shadwell as well as the establishment of the river police ( who are still based there).

I am already looking forward to reading Mr Easter's next novel, 'The River of Fire'.