5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Paul Balmer
I recieved My copy of this book from Amazon last Friday, quite a few days before the release date.
It gave me all weekend to read through this great book.
I already have Paul's other excellent books on the Telecaster, Stratocaster, Budget Guitars and Gibson Les Paul and regard them as "the Bible" as far as these Guitars go.
As in his other books, Paul looks...
Published on 2 May 2013 by Mr. P. R. Carter

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the Stratocaster and Fender Bass books.
Published 1 day ago by Def Jef

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Paul Balmer, 2 May 2013
This review is from: Gibson SG Manual: How to buy, maintain and set up Gibson's all-time best-selling guitar (Haynes Manual/Music) (Hardcover)
It gave me all weekend to read through this great book.
As in his other books, Paul looks at various examples of this Guitar, from "Top of the tree" models to budget versions, and gives an un-biased look at the various features of each model.
Also well illustrated sections on DIY repairs and enhancements, and lots of good insights into famous guitarists who actually use this Guitar.
I am a confirmed "Telecaster nut" but I went out at Christmas and bought myself a Les Paul Standard, purely on the strength of reading and re-reading Paul's excellent book on the subject.
I feel the pangs of Guitar aquisition coming on again!
This time it's SG shaped!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the Stratocaster and Fender Bass books., 1 July 2015
I don't know whether the SG is just a bit less interesting than a Strat or a Les Paul or its history just more empty but I found little of interest or use in this book despite having an SG of my own. As I looked at my guitar it felt more and more like it's simple components: a couple of lumps of wood glued together, sundry metal bits and some simple electronics; like a science kit. And even with the SG on my lap I found myself rereading sections from Paul Balmer's more captivating Strat book instead. The stuff about Tony Iommi's guitars was probably the the best but my copy is going back. I'll stick with Paul's Strat and Fender Basses books instead.

And beware, although these are marketed under the Haynes name, you can't REALLy use them in the same way you might to fix your Morris Ital. The information is badly scattered all over the place and often a solution to a problem is very hard to locate. Understandable, you may say, since a guitar is FAR more complicated than a Morris Ital but I think they could be compiled much better if they really want to be Haynes manuals.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another very good reference book..., 8 July 2013
This is a great book for those interested in servicing their SGs and provides a lot of interesting and useful background information on the evolution of this guitar model. I wish that it hadn't included case studies on Les Paul juniors etc and had confined itself solely to the SG. There are more than enough variations on the theme to fill the pages.

Fingers crossed that the author produces a similar book on Gibson and Epiphone thinline semis soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Usual super Haynes quality !!, 18 Feb. 2014
Mr. R. D. Pearce "Reg Pearce" (Heathrow, UK) - See all my reviews
Great layout and super pics throughout. As with all Haynes manuals there is everything you need to take care of the SG.
Lots of useful info on general guitar maintenance as a bonus.
Got an SG, get this !

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 16 July 2013
I purchased this book for my husband as he is really into Gibson guitars. He has never been so quiet. Well worth the money and highly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars all SG owners should own this, 4 Sept. 2014
This is an excellent book, I am currently building a DIY SG kit, and this has been a great help in the different models, colours and setup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 28 Dec. 2013
Bought this as a present for my boyfriend, and he loved it and finds it useful and helpful. Girlfriend points!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
Good book, if a little repetitive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Dec. 2014