on 1 July 2013
I consider myself as an intermediate system builder, I can take a computer/laptop apart and put it back together again with ease.
I brought this book to boost my confidence and make sure I know what i'm doing before building a £1,100 high tech system.
I received this item earlier than expected, I was out when it arrived, but the courier called my mobile to rearrange delivery, but was kind enough to return 20 minutes later!
Every day after work, I honestly rush home to read this, amazing book, BRILLIANT value for money.
Covered areas; computer component knowledge, how a system works, designing your dream computer (including example of system requirements for different builds) and diagrams and images through out to show you how to build the system physically.
10 out of 10!
on 24 June 2014
I just built my first self-made computer using a combination of this book, online tutorials and a little bit of supervision from a friend.

I can honestly say I'm pretty glad I picked this up as it really helped me get familiar with the task ahead before I got started.

Pros:
- Nice, relaxed writing style which explains things clearly without ever patronising the reader
- Covers building two quite different types of computer - a powerful, gaming computer and a compact multimedia computer
- High quality photographs of components and putting it all together
- Although not useful for me as I already had good understanding of components I wanted, it explains each core component and helps you choose the right quality/price level you'll actually need for your computer (e.g. you won't want to spend needless cash on extra RAM or fancy motherboard if you're not looking to play high end games or edit videos)

Cons:
- Not much to complain about but the one area the book didn't help me much with - and I did need help with this! - is the intricacies of the smaller wiring connections. It certainly shows you how the key power and data cables are supposed to be connected, but there was no real guidance on how to hook up fans and even the front control panel wires. The authors would no doubt argue that this is because many motherboards place these connectors in different locations, but I still would have liked them to have shown how those wires were connected on the motherboard they were using anyway.

All in all I'd definitely recommend this to anyone doing their first computer build although it's less useful for anyone with experience or those are looking for better guidance on more advanced skills like fan and LED connections or good cable management.
on 3 September 2012
I pre-ordered this book, wanting to know about computers, and maybe decinding to build one, and this book is one of the best, most useful books I have ever read. It gives info, even if you don't know your Processor from your RAM. It tells you independent info, and with a few jokes too!

Well worth the £15!
on 9 January 2014
I came to this book wanting to know more about the what, why and how to do it of building a PC. It delivers, though in the fast-paced world of technology some bits are already dated (more on this below). Most of the book remains a font of insight and knowledge that's served as a guiding hand for me as I start to build my first PC, and it does justice to Haynes' reputation for those wanting to get a bit more hands-on with all kinds of technology.

I'll get the bad bits out of the way first. If you come to this book looking for a shopping list of kit to order and build, you're out of luck. There *is* such a list in the book - two, in fact - but a quick scan round the web shows that many if not all of the parts suggested are unavailable or have been replaced by other bits. You're going to have to do some of your own work looking at websites and other places to get the right bits to build that PC. And the book was published before Windows 8 was released, which means that the information relating to that isn't up to date (though frankly, windows 8 needs a manual of its own; in my opinion you'd be best off installing windows 7. Your opinion may differ, of course).

But in the fast-paced world of technology things do change quickly, and you'll be very lucky to find a book that gives you a list of up-to-date bits to build your perfect PC (a website might of course, but I've not found one). This book gives you the insight you need to decipher the specifications of different bits you'll need and translate them into what you really need to know. It gives you the background on what those bits do and tells you the procedures you need to follow to put them all together. It's written in an easy to understand style, is well illustrated and has troubleshooting information too. It is like having an experienced friend by your side to guide you through things, just as Haynes car manuals do; but this one is better written, better illustrated and more straightforward in its layout than the most recent car manuals I've seen.

Starting from knowing just about nothing, this book has given me the knowledge and confidence to start building a PC. No, it hasn't been the answer to all my prayers (hence four stars, not five) but even so, I'm happy to recommend it.
on 24 April 2014
Prior to this book, the closest I'd come to building a computer was swapping out a couple of RAM chips and changing a power supply, and building an entire machine and getting it to work seemed a daunting task. However, with this well written, well organised, very helpful and surprisingly honest and entertaining book it was more or less straightforward - and great, great fun.

If you're looking to build your first computer and you're not sure where to start you need this book.
on 28 October 2012
A very useful guide to how to build a computer. Well illustrated and with excellent guidance on how to do all the practical things required.
on 20 December 2014
I have been toying with thoughts of building my own desktop computer for ages now. Indeed, a couple of years ago I bought a tower case, a power supply, and several hard drives and then came to a grinding halt! However, the niggling thoughts have persisted, and even though all my previous reading and research is now outdated, I am determined to give the whole thing another go. So, having made my mind up...again...I thought it politic to acquire some further instruction...again...and espied this particular book on the Amazon site. As usual, I poured over the reviews, and decided this was the book for me. I still have "Building a PC" by Stuart Yarnold in the "In Easy Steps" range...third edition...and I can also recommend the same.
This book looks pretty comprehensive...only received it yesterday to be fair...and appears to cover all I need to finally build my own PC. The buying guide is particularly useful, and I am already looking forward to acquiring info on all the necessary components. Recommended.
on 22 February 2013
Great book, very well presented, well written and would enable almost anybody to get the satisfaction of building their own PC exactly to their own requirements. Great book
on 14 June 2013
I've used these Haynes publications before, and like their Car Manuals they provide a very practical guide, easy to read, and with computers a ready made introduction to current technology which one can build-up on. I'll probably 'love it' when I've had a chance to use it! Important to ensure you have the latest available edition though.