5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for Basic & Intermediate users and system builders!
I consider myself as an intermediate system builder, I can take a computer/laptop apart and put it back together again with ease.
I brought this book to boost my confidence and make sure I know what i'm doing before building a £1,100 high tech system.
I received this item earlier than expected, I was out when it arrived, but the courier called my mobile to...
Published on 1 July 2013 by Dayle McNeela

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Ok
Published 1 month ago by frederick

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 10 May 2013
This review is from: Build Your Own Computer: The Complete Step-by-step Manual to Constructing a PC That's Right for You (Hardcover)
I bought this as a guide to building my first PC. I'm glad I bought it because it's very up to date, well written, broad in scope and proved helpful at many stages of the assembly, if only to give me the confidence I needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for beginners, 22 Oct. 2013
Ms. S. Burnham (Portsmouth, HANTS, UK) - See all my reviews
I have always been a software person when it comes to computers, and never bothered to learn much about hardware. However, when my laptop finally gave up on me I decided to move back to desktop computing, and having known some friends who had a PC built for them, I came up with the bright idea to build my own.

Having no idea where to start, I had a look for some books on the subject and found this one. I bought it mainly because of the Haynes reputation for quality manuals and figured this would be on the same level quality-wise. It absolutely is!

The book explains all the components required for building a PC, what they do, why they're important, and what kind of quality you need to look for when buying them. There are two basic builds to follow in the book - one for a mid-range PC that is capable of gaming, and the other is for a smaller PC that is designed to function more like a media center. If you were trying to follow the builds in the book exactly this may prove a little difficult (I found that some of the parts were not readily available), so I would recommend coming up with your own build using something like the PC Part Picker website to check it's all compatible and such.
When it came to building the PC, the step by step instructions were brilliant. Pictures are also a great help. The only niggle I had was that when it came to installing my CPU cooler, part of it needed to be mounted on the back of the motherboard (which after following the book's instructions, I had already mounted into my case), however this was really my fault as the cooler instruction booklet did say that was how it should be installed!

After you've finished building, there's a section on setting up and troubleshooting (though hopefully you shouldn't need it!). I found this very useful as I had no experience booting up a PC for the very first time, using BIOS and installing an operating system.

Overall, this is an extremely helpful book. You can go from knowing very little about computer hardware to having a reasonable basic knowledge and the skill to build a computer from scratch. Nothing beats the feeling of building something yourself and seeing it work, and this is the book that helped me do that. Five stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight Talkin Advice, 28 Jan. 2013
This book in my opinion is a Must Have for anyone thinking of tryin a home build as by title of the Review says it's Straight Talkin Advice..! and is up to Date with current (TEC) at a GREAT PRICE POINT enough said!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well illustrated guide, 20 Mar. 2013
Like all Haynes manuals this one is a very complete guide to building a computer. Information set out in a logical sequence with explanations of jargon and a list of further help with web addresses.
It acknowledges that technology moves fast in this area, but even if you find the exact items they talk about have been upgraded, there's enough information for you to select from what is currently available.
If you're keen enough to have a go, then this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job!, 20 Dec. 2014
I have been toying with thoughts of building my own desktop computer for ages now. Indeed, a couple of years ago I bought a tower case, a power supply, and several hard drives and then came to a grinding halt! However, the niggling thoughts have persisted, and even though all my previous reading and research is now outdated, I am determined to give the whole thing another go. So, having made my mind up...again...I thought it politic to acquire some further instruction...again...and espied this particular book on the Amazon site. As usual, I poured over the reviews, and decided this was the book for me. I still have "Building a PC" by Stuart Yarnold in the "In Easy Steps" range...third edition...and I can also recommend the same.
This book looks pretty comprehensive...only received it yesterday to be fair...and appears to cover all I need to finally build my own PC. The buying guide is particularly useful, and I am already looking forward to acquiring info on all the necessary components. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book to get if thinking of build own computer ..., 26 Nov. 2013
Good book to get if thinking of build own computer I did & managed it (with a little help from my 15yr old :~} ) Like any book will not tell you everything you need to know, but with a little help from internet & kids you should get there.

4.0 out of 5 stars good for a novice like me, 29 Dec. 2013
Mr. Nv Brown "nigel brown" (inglatertra) - See all my reviews
My main source of information for my project.Something about mixing old and new parts would have been very useful to me.A chapter about installing Linux rather than Windows would have been good for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 10 Feb. 2014
After reading this book I am definitely going to build my own PC. I have started a PC build course at a Glasgow college for hands on experience which is probably overkill as one could easily build a machine from the step by step photographic guide . The description of what goes into a computer and how they work are very comprehensive and easy to understand.

Research is required to decide what components to use unless one uses the same components as Mr MacRae. The research has so far proved to be fascinating.

I must emphasise, this book is INSPIRATIONAL. If you have never built a PC and want to, Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 13 Sept. 2014
I love this book even though I have no intention of building another computer at the moment. I have the 2002 edition and wanted to get up to date with modern tech. I just love reading these books and learning about computers in general. It is very well written and covers everything you need to know if you ever decide to take the plunge and build your own pc. The photography is also well done and very clear as with any Haynes manual.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it., 27 Mar. 2013
It was very informative and i liked it, imight try to build my own computer. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy it off the shelf.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›