5.0 out of 5 stars The only book you will need to pass your motorcycle test?
One word sums up this book - "thorough". The book genuinely covers everything that you will need to know to complete your CBT, pass the theory test and successfully pass your practical test.

Published on 13 April 2008 by The Scribe

print quality wasn't great with the copy that i received (and promptly returned to Amazon) with eligible text on some pages of the book due to excessive ink splurges.

Published on 17 Sep 2011 by Joe

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The only book you will need to pass your motorcycle test?, 13 April 2008

Well presented throughout, with helpful pictures, diagrams and photos, this book is brilliant. The style of writing is pleasant, describing material in enough detail to be complete, but not so much as to become heavyweight.

The current edition of this book does now include the questions you may be asked in a 2008 theory test, as the book was revised with questions current from September 2007 onwards (at the time the number of questions in the test increased to 50). The current version (which I have) is ISBN #978-1844252206 and looks like that in the Amazon photo above.

Although you could pass the test with just this book, I would still recommend the Focus Multimedia Test Success Hazard Perception DVD-ROM and the official DSA Theory Test for Motorcyclists CD-ROM. This will ensure that you have experience of the mechanisms used to test you in the theory test.

I wouldn't recommend the DSA Theory Test for Motorcyclists book, which duplicates the questions at the back of "Learn to Ride". Nor would I recommend buying a copy of the Highway Code, as for learning purposes, you can read it on the DirectGov website.

In summary, if you can only get one book to help you pass your motorbike tests, make it this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for any beginner, 12 Dec 2007
Mrs. S. J. Doolan (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I read a friends copy of this out of boredom when i had nothing else to read and to say i was surprised was an understatement.

I have already passed my test, but still found this interesting.
it's surprising just how much of the basics you have forgotten.
It gives you everything from basic riding skills and tehniques - right up to sitting the actual test's themselves.

For once an honest book that actually delivers what it says on the cover.

I would recommend this for all beginners thinking about taking up riding and also - Motorcycle Foundation's Guide to Motorcycling Excellence: Skills, Knowledge and Strategies for Riding Right , for when you have passed :)

1.0 out of 5 stars OK, but no comparison to the DSA Guide to Riding - Essential Skills, 17 Sep 2011
This review is from: Learn to Ride 2011/2012: Everything You Need to Pass Your Motorcycle Test (Haynes All in One Book) (Paperback)

and in my opinion, doesn't compare the official DSA Guide to Riding - The Essential Skills Book, which to be fair, is one of the books listed/suggested as a must read by the DSA & all reputable instructors for those who want to pass the test successfully on their first attempt.

therefore, i do not recommend this book as a replacement to the DSA texts for those who are studying for their tests.

the theory test question section doesn't actually tell you the correct answer on the same page as the questions and this is a real pain to keep flicking from one section to another.

personally, i'd avoid this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 18 Jan 2008
This is my first review but I felt compelled to put down how good I thought this book was. I checked the other reviews before buying this and it is excellent value for money. I'm only marking it down (to 4 stars)as it refers to the pre september 2007 theory test (35 questions changed in Sept 07 to 50 questions) and i wonder if the question bank is fully up to date. Nevertheless an excellent book that helped me to sail through the theory test with less than a fortnight from ordering it to picking up my pass certificate. so many thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 24 Sep 2013
This little book got me through my motorbike test, I learned a lot reading it, lots of safety advice - take note all you bikers out there, we can always learn more to keep us safe on the roads

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect starter book, 29 Aug 2013
This is better than the official DSA book as it summarises all the key facts required to pass theory test and is much easier to read. Well illustrated with lots of good beginner's tips.

5.0 out of 5 stars Used this for my test in 2012, 26 Feb 2013
I used this book to do my full test Mod 1 and 2 in 2012 and I passed first time for both (with the help of a great instructor too) I really like that it explains why you should do things and not just telling you to do it

5.0 out of 5 stars 125 learner, 27 Dec 2012
L. Moore (London) - See all my reviews
It got me through my:

- Theory Test
- Mod 1
- Mod 2

Without any professional instruction in my spare time.

Enough said really.

Note: some parts of this version will be out of date with the test changes coming Jan 2013. IE the motorcycle sizes required for test parts, everything else should still be relevant

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, one too keep!, 11 Jan 2012
I bought this book nigh on a year ago now whilst learning to take my motorcycle test. I can happily say that with just practice and this book i passed my theory dropping only 4 marks and passed both my modules with only one minor between the two (on the MOD 1 i was 2km/h too slow through a speed trap).

This book truly covers everything, and the best part? It makes sense and is incredibly easy to use for reference.

I've kept hold of my copy and referred back to it several times to check a specific area, it is and will be an essential part of my motorcycling library throughout my career.

To sum up this is a clear, concise and comprehensive book that is well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Learner Book, 20 Aug 2011
In my opinion this is the single best book on how to pass your motorcycle test. I also had the DSA books, which were ok but this topped them. It is not perfect as it could go into a little more detail on OSM / PSL; however that will be covered by your instructor. Worth the money.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›