5.0 out of 5 stars Usefull
Simple to follow, useful worth buying for the novice. I needed to change the rear gears and remove the chain etc. following which I needed to set up the gears again. The book guided me through the process. it all seems to be working fine now. this helped me understand a couple of things that have changed since I last owned a bike.

worth getting IMHO.
Published on 20 Aug 2012 by M. C. Fortune-wood

2.0 out of 5 stars Sketchy, not enough detail
I have to agree with the other reviewer stating this is a pretty superficial book.

I'm a fairly experienced - but 100% amateur - bike mechanic and bought this in the hope that I could fill in some gaps in my knowledge, especially for comparatively recent developments such as hydraulic brake systems.

The procedures are fairly well illustrated, but...
Published 17 months ago by blackworx

5.0 out of 5 stars Usefull, 20 Aug 2012
M. C. Fortune-wood "Persius" (North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bike Book: Complete Bicycle Maintenance (Haynes) (Hardcover)

worth getting IMHO.

4.0 out of 5 stars good repair book, 23 July 2012
good repair book. My only criticism is that they sometimes use different names for the same part. But it covers everything I need and more.
Another comment: if you want to know how things work, this is the wrong item; this is a _repair_ manual.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sketchy, not enough detail, 8 April 2013

The procedures are fairly well illustrated, but there are too many where they just dive in, talking about assemblies without actually describing or naming their component parts in any detail, or pointing them out in any illustration. There is a heavy reliance on photos with very little labelling/callouts and only the occasional exploded diagram. Simple procedures are sometimes given pages of detail whereas the quite advanced stuff later on is not really given an adequate amount of attention for a book which calls itself "complete".

For the most part the techniques described are fine. A few are not the way I learned to do things (they recommend the use of hammers far too often for my liking!) but you can see the logic in their thinking and there is nothing intrinsically bad about them. There is however scant attention paid to many of the common problems one may encounter along the way, meaning the book is actually less use for beginners than it is for those with any experience. Some of the job time estimates are way off, e.g. they reckon just one hour for your first attempt at servicing a pair of suspension forks. Likewise some of the difficulty ratings are a bit arbitrary, e.g. they seem to think that adjusting cantilever brakes is easier than dual pivots. Perhaps on a good day, or with a dream pair of cantis and a shoddy set of dual pivots, it is (then again it might just be me) but this is something I have never found to be true in twenty years of looking after bikes.

I had high hopes for this book and, having been disappointed with other bike maintenance books in the past, bought it on the strength of the Haynes name. I've never owned a "real" Haynes manual before, but I get the strong impression that this is a pale imitation of the books that went to building the brand's reputation.

EDIT: Two weeks later I got myself a copy of "Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance" - the difference compared to this nonsense is like night and day. (Zinn has also written MTB books AFAIK.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 8 Dec 2012
I am new to cycling and the new components on modern bikes were a bit bewildering. I have always tinkered with cars and motorbikes and have had many Haynes manuals over the years which must saved me £thousands in repair bills through routine and preventative maintainance.

So far I have used the book to adjust the gear selectors and do some routine cleaning and servicing and have found the book clear and easy to understand - just like other Haynes manuals really

A must have for any bike tinkerer!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better, 4 Oct 2012
This is a very useful book. However as it is aimed at those choosing a bike as well as those who will be carrying out major maintenance, it would benefit from identifying components discussed in the text by identifying them in the accompanying photographs. I have only used it so far for setting up the derailleur gear train and found it a very useful book. I would recommend to a friend but point out that that they may have to puzzle a bit identifying components.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep this handy..., 14 Sep 2012
This is a first rate manual of value to a wide range of users. In my case, I am quite an experienced cycle mechanic, but my basic training was many years ago and I find the material on modern machines very useful, for example, when dealing with grandchildrens' bikes. The layout is clear, and the pictures compliment the text satisfactorily. Just occasionally some text related numbered pointers would help the clarity of some pictures. Having looked at the competition, this is the best combination of utility and price and very good value for money. Only 4 stars may seem a bit harsh, but it really would be worth printing this book on dirt/oil resistant paper in lie flat format: it would then be unbeatable! Strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 Jan 2013
This is the bible for anyone person who wants to know the ins and outs of bike mechanics. The money you will save by completing ,what at first my be rocket science but in reality very achievable, your first DIY fix. Everything is broken down into easy to follow steps. Priceless

3.0 out of 5 stars Well illustrated, 27 Nov 2013
I guess it wasn't written by someone with dirty fingers. Studiously avoids practical detail at the expense of nice pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every bike owner should have one, 27 Sep 2013
Well Haynes have excelled themselves with this title. Fantastic clear colour photographs and crisp exploded diagrams make it easy to use and useful for all levels of experience. Sections for all aspects of a cycle and all types too. Beautifully indexed and with a comprehensive glossary and technical specs - torque ranges, tyre sizes etc. If you know the Dorling Kindersley range from the 1980/90s - this could be one of those. Clear and crisp and a pleasure to use in anger or simply leaf through on the sofa. Brilliant and 100% RECOMMENDED.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bike Book, 25 Nov 2012
I bought this book for my husband who has just bought himself a top of the range mountain bike and taken up cycling. It is exactly what he needed to maintain his bike and keep it in working order.

The Bike Book: Complete Bicycle Maintenance (Haynes)
The Bike Book: Complete Bicycle Maintenance (Haynes) by Mark Storey (Hardcover - 7 Jun 2012)