on 23 May 2012
As a self-taught DIY enthusiast, I've perused a good number of plumbing manuals over the last 40 years, and this is by far the best. Came across it whilst looking for a new Haynes car manual, and a quick browse soon had me checking out the Amazon price. At £14 it's an absolute steal, and will pay for itself if you tackle just one small plunbing job.

This is what a step by step guide should be - nothing glossed over or left for the poor DIY'er to work out himself, and plenty of advice on the possible snags.

But what really sets it apart is the quantity and clarity of the photos - way above the usual standard in books of this sort.

Finally, the author has a nice line in dry humour - I've never laughrd out loud over a DIY manual before!
on 26 November 2013
Bought a house and had plumbers in to quote for full refit of a [first] house I had just bought. Quotes were silly, and being a trained engineer asked myself...how hard can it be. Bought several books, and even now I still just look at this out of curiosity.

Was great, helped me design good supply circuits and drainage considerations (elevation, air traps, sewerage) etc. all within regulations - and 12 months on I have had no leaks at all from my own work. (The heating installers work is a different story...)

In summary: This book was absolutely perfect for somebody with DIY confidence and ability but their knowledge/skill isn't quite there. Would recommend it above any of the other myriad of plumbing books I bought at the same time.
on 24 November 2014
I like the way it is written. It is light-hearted without being facile or trivializing anything. Written with a DIYer in mind, so that there is no assumption of prior knowledge.

I actually enjoyed reading it end to end and it saved me making some very expensive mistakes.

The only thing I wish it had included more on is very old heating systems, especially cast iron radiators. Warning - cast iron radiators are heavier than the moon! Don't even think about trying to move them around unless you have a private army to help you.
on 14 September 2014
This is a very good book from a practical/hands on approach, covering most things that you'd come across. However, to get 5 stars it would need a little more detail practically (soldering technique etc), and a good deal more info on theory/doing a job from scratch i.e. designing a bathroom layout or heating circuit (as in my case and why I bought the book). Still, a very useful book!
on 17 October 2012
I've been DIY plumbing for over 40 years and although I have the standard DIY manuals - and they are very good - all the same this goes into the sort of detail you need to fix those annoying and worrying plumbing problems.

True it won't make you into a qualified and experienced plumber, but it does give confidence both to do work yourself or explain to a professional. For example; how to get the syphon and control gear out from a close-coupled toilet without breaking anything.

It is a Haynes manual so it lives up to expectation for completeness and very well illustrated throughout with clear colour photos. Some are from real plumbing jobs so you can see what it is you're dealing with.

If you only have one plumbing book for home use this would be it. Thoroughly recommended and with nice touches of humour to alleviate stress.
on 24 May 2012
I bought this on a whim after fudging my way around replacing boiler parts and thermostatic shower valves, wish I'd waited around for the book, as I would have got the jobs done much quicker and more likely correctly.

From a female non-plumber viewpoint, this is just what I needed, the text is clear, concise and light-hearted not ultra-technical and non-sensical like most books on a traditionally male subject. This makes it a very handy book to have in the house, and the step-by-step guides are a Godsend after internet group nonsense about parts and things I've never heard of.

Highly recommend this as a fundamental home DIY reference book, it will be getting wheeled out on a regular basis!
on 9 April 2013
Not quite plumbing made simple, But it gives a reasonable idea for quite a lot of jobs you may come across, read in conjunction with internet post and a DIY manual you should be able to cope with most emergency situations.
on 20 December 2014
This book has been indispensable for my colleagues and I on our adult part-time plumbing course. As a self employed handywoman I come across a lot of plumbing work which has been bodged and consequently caused expensive problems for the hapless homeowner. If people were inclined to try and tackle small plumbing repairs themselves, they would not go far wrong by using this book. The colour photos are especially helpful, but best of all is Andy's way of delivering clear information in a humorous (often hilarious) and very engaging way. I recommend this book highly to everyone with even a slight interest in the subject.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 15 March 2013
I became a first time buyer in late 2011 and until a few months ago, I hadn't done a single bit of plumbing. Thanks to this book I now think of myself as a competent DIY plumber and I've been able to move radiators, fit new taps and last week I fitted an entire bathroom suite on my own.

The book is very detailed and the author excels at describing even challenging tasks in an informative and humorous manner. His writing style really eases you into the job and removes any apprehension experienced before tackling a job.

This book has paid for itself over and over again and I wouldn't be without it.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I got off to a good start with this manual which arrived in perfect condition, in just two days with the postage free "Super Saver Delivery".

I had purchased CENTRAL HEATING by Patrick Mitchell about two years ago, which is a great reference book to have at home or for students, there are plenty of illustrations and diagrams in it, but only a few photos. It mainly just covers central heating though.

My reason for purchasing this Manual is that it covers a wider array of plumbing work, including Identifying your water and heating systems, Tooling, Dealing with emergencies, Insulation, Pipework, Valve maintenance, Basic plumbing, plus In the garden, In the kitchen, In the bathroom, Central heating, and Going green. Each section is limited by the size of the book, but there is ample information and numerous photos and tips to cover most diy plumbing jobs in the home.

What it doesn't cover, is Oil boilers and Gas work, which as we all know should be carried out by a "Gas Safe registered" fitter.

I have, over the years done quite a bit of home plumbing from replacing a washer to installing a bathroom suite, and have always had a read up on what ever project I am doing beforehand. But I would say that this is possibly the best plumbing author that I have come across, and I find the many photos really helpful.

Recommended without reservation.