5.0 out of 5 stars Haynes Pig Manual
Published on 4 April 2011 by Novice the Pig Keeper

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was looking for.
I found this book far too basic for me, it assumes that you will be feeding your pig exclusively on concentrated feeds, no details of alternative feeding. It also assumes that your butcher will do the butchery part for you. I wanted details on how to do it myself.
It does have a comprehensive list of diseases which is helpful. Also a list of breeds, but not all...
Published 14 months ago by Mrs. Ingrid Wilson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Haynes Pig Manual, 4 April 2011
This review is from: Pig Manual: The Complete Step-by-step Guide to Keeping Pigs (Hardcover)
This is a really invaluable book. We have found it so helpful to have one place to find all the information we need on keeping and rearing pigs including dipping our toes tentatively into the world of breeding. Until now we have had to trawl through different books trying to find the specific thing that we are looking for- no more, we have a one-stop source of information - brilliant! The book is really well written, easy to understand (not too jargony, and it doesn't assume that you already have a veterinary degree or twenty years of farming experience which we have found many books seem to.) The book is not only easy to read but has loads of really useful pictures which clearly illustrate the point being discussed. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential time after time reference, 4 April 2011
This book is full of clear and step by step information on all the essential aspects of good pig keeping. Anyone considering their first pigs would be hard pushed to find a more comprehensive resource. Every chapter is fully illustrated with brilliant photographs.

My copy is well thumbed already and I doubt it will spend much time on the bookshelf. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone asking for first time advice, experienced meat pig raisers or people who have had pigs before but are thinking of moving on to breeding or showing. I wish I had had a copy when I first started!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pigs- everything you need to know - really!!, 13 Aug. 2012
This little gem does exactly what it says on the tin! As a complete beginner, I bought this book based on recommendations by other Amazon readers and I have not been disappointed. It sits on the table and is picked up daily as a reference, having already read it from cover to cover. It covers different breeds, buying stock, legal requirements, feeding, welfare, slaughtering, breeding and showing and each time I pick it up I find information I missed. Best of all, it includes a hugely "useful contacts" list complete with resources you need to get you started. This is one to buy, read and keep coming back to... excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars pig manual, 12 Sept. 2011
This book is great for a new pig enthusiast. Clear and logically set out with lovely pictures.
It covers all the main areas to consider for pig husbandry right through to the butchery.
well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The whole hog !, 21 May 2012
This is a great book, full of really useful and relevant information. The text is complimented by a great range of detailed photo's and useful diagrams. It covers everything you'll need to know to get started with pigs, and beyond.
Laid out in an easy to follow format and covering everything from your first pigs arriving to how to process the pork into sausages and bacon, and a whole lot more. I'm confident this will become a much refered to publication of all things piggy.
We run beginners pig keeping courses here and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this as a necessary addition to any pig keepers bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant book, 14 Dec. 2012
Love pigs, want to keep pigs? This is the book you need. Lovely photos and all the information you could possibly want. I have read this book cover to cover and still pick it up frequently to read. If you have a smallholding, keep pigs or are considering buying one to rear pigs, buy this book. Your getting information from Twice winner of Tamworth Champion of Champions Liz Shankland. To be honest even if you are not going to keep pigs, its a very interesting read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Haynes Pig Manual, 6 Oct. 2011
Very informative book both for breeders and pet pig owners. Love the fact that Liz included our "micro pig" story in "Micro to Macro" warning others how big these little pigs do grow!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide to pig keeping, 10 Jun. 2013
This book is excellent and makes a great cover to cover read for anyone interested in keeping pigs. It covers all aspects of pig care from paperwork, housing, feeding, handling, regulations, illnesses, slaughtering and selling the produce - and more besides. It answered all my questions and really stimulated my interest to learn even more. Liz's enthusiasm for the pigs comes through on every page. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pigin' brilliant!, 19 July 2013
Covers everything from start to bringing home the bacon. Ideal for someone like me who wants to begin with a couple of pigs and then then consider moving into breeding and selling.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent starting point for new pig keepers, 27 May 2012
i have this book in my collection and found it an invaluable tool for my research, i highly recommend it as a starting point for anyone interested in keeping pigs for the first time. it is written in plain and simple terms and sets out to encourage you along but keeping it real along the way. highly recommend it to new starters.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Pig Manual: The Complete Step-by-step Guide to Keeping Pigs
Pig Manual: The Complete Step-by-step Guide to Keeping Pigs by Liz Shankland (Hardcover - 7 April 2011)