Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 June 2013
This book is a brilliant addition to the series and as a lecturer I would highly recommend it to all
accountancy students studying for A-levels, degrees and professional exams.
It starts with the proformas of financial statements and the basics of double entry bookkeeping and
takes students all the way through to deferred tax, pensions and financial instruments. It is suitable
for all students studying financial accounting and the sooner you buy it, the better!
Every topic is clearly explained and then illustrated by an example showing how to account for it in
the context of preparing financial statements from a trial balance - a key skill tested in exams.
The on-line resources are also great with section recap examples taking you through how to answer
exam standard questions step by step as well as mindmaps to help your revision.
It is perfect for those that need to brush up their knowledge if they have gained exemptions or had a
gap in their studies and will also prove beneficial in the work place as a quick reference guide.
As with all the books in Kaplan's Student's guide series it is written in a clear, simple way & is
wonderfully bright and colourful.
on 24 January 2015
As a Tutor I would highly recommend that all accounting students not just ACCA or CIMA but students studying for any other professional exams, degrees, A levels and especially if you have been exempted than this is a MUST HAVE BOOK!

When I teach ACCA F7 and CIMA F1, students tell me they are struggling with basics as they have gained exemptions from ACCA F3 and CIMA CO2 and want a quicker route to close that knowledge gap, I would advise them to buy this book.

It is so clear and easy to understand. The book starts with a very good introduction to double entry debits and credits which if you feel you have never understood double entry, rest assure she will help you finally understand it!
Sally then gradually progresses with different accounting standards in a very simple way to follow and off course her layout of the book is very attractive with her choice of colours, lovely and bright like Sally!
on 28 April 2013
I am currently studying for my ACA qualification. I have just finished studying Financial Accounting (FA). This book contains many of the sections that I have studied in the previous week as well as many more which are relevant to my Financial Reporting (FR) exam syllabus I am studying for imminently. The layout is clear and user friendly, including many understandable and more complex examples which have enabled me to develop my knowledge in the areas which I struggled to keep up with in class.

This book has benefited my understanding of the syllabus and the areas that the examiner is looking out for in the exam. I wish that this book had been published sooner as it follows on from the concepts taught to me in the Accounting module excellently. It would have put me in an advantageous situation going into my FA course, reducing the volume of work during my time at college.
on 20 September 2013
I am currently studying for my F7 paper and initially I was really struggling. My only prior accounting knowledge was from studying for my F3 paper,which was more than a year ago. In my opinion, F7 is a HUGE jump from F3, in terms of technicality. I bought this book based on a recommendation from a friend. I was glad I did! This book is so easy to read. It strengthens my fundamental knowledge and guides me through the complicated standards that are in F7. The comprehensive examples accompanying each chapter further reinforce my understanding of the subject. There are another section in the book that deals with P2, so I will run back to this next term.
If you are in a similar situation, with a limited background in accounting, do yourself a favour and get this book!
on 2 October 2014
I am studying CIMA F1 and have been having trouble understanding how to prepare financial statements.. I bought this book and have read chapters 1 to 3 so far.. It's easy to understand, easy to follow and already I feel like certain aspects have fallen into place.. I am so happy I've found this book as I believe it will be the key to helping me pass this exam.
on 22 October 2014
This book was recommended to me by my Kaplan lecturer and it's a must have!! I'm currently studying for my CIMA and it breaks crucial topics down into bite size chunks which are easy to understand. Besides that it's colorful and an easy read. I would definitely recommend to anyone who wants additional background knowledge!
on 13 February 2014
During my F7 studies with Sally Baker at Kaplan I purchased this booked (recommended for ACCA F3/F7) to brush up my understanding of double entry as I had been exempted from ACCA Paper F3. The book is clear, concise, diagrammatic and colourful and more importantly teaches you ONLY what is required, which is why it’s easier to understand.

I always found with accounting and double entry in general, the big question is ‘WHY’? - ‘Why’ is it Cr and not a Dr or a Dr and not a CR… ‘WHY’ is it increasing or decreasing and what the mnemonic (DEAD CLIC) is all about.

Sally’s book explains this very well and much more and to be fair it doesn’t get too complicated, I highly recommend it.

Happy Reading 
on 15 November 2013
I work in a role related to financial accounting and I bought this book to give me a greater understanding of the fundamentals behind financial statements, I have found this book to be of great help and really liked the colourful layout and simplicity for non financial accountants.

I would reccommend this book to anyone with a limited knowledge that wants to learn more - thanks for writing it so well and easy to understand.
on 9 December 2014
Sally Baker takes the baton firmly over 'Frank Wood - Business Accounting' tomes of knowledge.

Highly recommend this book to the uninitiated, it will save you time and needless pulling out of hair.

Baker's book is a colourfully concise compendium to enable the accounting student learn accounting fundamentals well and to embed this knowledge permanently.
on 14 June 2014
A really good book for explaining the preparation of financial statements from the basics right through to the more advanced levels. It covers all of the key accounting standards you'll need to know for preparing financial statements & is a really good introduction to double entry debits & credits - the first time I've properly understood it!