4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting recipes

Published on 13 Oct. 2012 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars WI Homemade Jams & Chutneys, 13 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Homemade Jams & Chutneys (Women's Institute) (Hardcover)
I already own the now out of print WI Book of Preserves by Carol Tennant, which can now only be bought second hand for £20+ (shows what a brilliant book it is). I bought 'Jams & Chutneys' as a gift thinking it must be an updated version of the former, but its not at all. 'Jams & Chutneys' does include some of the same recipes as 'Preserves' and while it is a nice book, its nowhere near as comprehensive, so reluctantly I returned the book which is something I very rarely do :(

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting recipes, 24 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Homemade Jams & Chutneys (Women's Institute) (Hardcover)
I already own some very good jam and chutneys recipe books but when I came across this one at a very good price I decided to give it a try and I wasn't disappointed! I haven't tried the recipes yet tough! There are a couple of ingredients I don't know but I will try to find them on Wikipedia and anyway, when you live abroad you can expect to be a bit limited but for the most part I think that I will be able to make most of the recipes! I do have a question about the variation on the Rhubarb & Fig Jam which seems to use oranges but there is no metion to how many, maybe instead of the lemons? I also wish there were more suggestions on how to put the jams and the chutneys to good use, especially the less usual ones and I only use my books as suggestions because as a rule I use my own full proof recipe: either gelifying sugar (500g for 1Kg fruit) or brown sugar and agar agar which only has to boil for 4 minutes. But all these new ideas are very welcome!

5.0 out of 5 stars Both classic and new recipes, 18 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Homemade Jams & Chutneys (Women's Institute) (Hardcover)
I own alot of chutney and preserve books already, but in searching for new ideas, i came across this book at my library, and then ended up purchasing it very quickly! There is a really good mixture of both classic recipes and slighlty more unusual ones to tempt you. The recipes are clear and easy to follow, with a good mixture of store cupboard and special ingredients, and the amounts that the recipes make are a good quanity for a couple of jars in most cases, so you can make a few recipes at a time without thinking that you are going to be eating jams and chutneys for every meal. The use of both the fruit and veg is again a good mixture so you will be able to make different items according to the different fruit/veg seasons. I tend to make jams and Chutneys to enter into village shows and there are some good recipes that will im sure be on alot of village shows entry forms - so a very good showing guide book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't by this book if you already have jams, pickles and chutneys by same author, 12 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Homemade Jams & Chutneys (Women's Institute) (Hardcover)
Disappointed to find all the recipes are same as those in earlier book by this author called Jams, pickles and chutneys, published in 2002. I assumed that as it is endorsed by the WI this book would be worth looking at but sadly this is not the case.

5.0 out of 5 stars everything you need to know, 18 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Homemade Jams & Chutneys (Women's Institute) (Hardcover)
A brilliant book that clearly explains the processes to make some really tasty treats. Very easy to follow. Once you've tried one recipe you 're looking to see what next you'll try. I've binned the other books I had, they are no longer required.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as i expected, 17 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Homemade Jams & Chutneys (Women's Institute) (Hardcover)
Thought this book would have been a lot better & more helpful as its a wi book. Have only made a couple of the jams (2) & 1 chutneys. Maybe next year it will be more useful but I don't think so

5.0 out of 5 stars Jammy Jams & Choice Chutneys., 15 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Homemade Jams & Chutneys (Women's Institute) (Hardcover)
This book was a revelation in the choice of ingredient combinations and the subsequent taste experiences when consumed. I would recommend this book to one and all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Jammy, 28 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Homemade Jams & Chutneys (Women's Institute) (Hardcover)
Good clear instructions on basic recipes, & wonderful pictures so you know what it should look like, very good value for money too.

5.0 out of 5 stars great advice, 5 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Homemade Jams & Chutneys (Women's Institute) (Hardcover)
Great advice and tips to create the perfect results every time. Brought as a gift this has been wonderful. In short fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Women's Institute, 3 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Homemade Jams & Chutneys (Women's Institute) (Hardcover)
I choose this rating because the book had all the recipes I remembered from my mother as a child and which I never forgot.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Homemade Jams & Chutneys (Women's Institute)
Homemade Jams & Chutneys (Women's Institute) by Midge Thomas (Hardcover - 2 Feb. 2012)