5.0 out of 5 stars A story that had me gripped throughout
I've been a fan of Carol Rivers for a long time, and I've really enjoyed her novels so far, so I was very much looking forward to reading A Wartime Christmas!

Published 17 months ago by Megan ReadingInTheSunshine

3.0 out of 5 stars Second World War tale
Quite inaccurate.More research needed. Then the end was cut short, Having read quite a few of this authors work, I was dissappointedin this bppk.
Published 16 months ago by maggie

5.0 out of 5 stars A story that had me gripped throughout, 13 Dec. 2013
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Wartime Christmas (Paperback)

Christmas 1941 and Slater Street have been doing their best to keep their spirits up during the Blitz. And although her husband Alan has been called to serve his country, Kay is determined to give their son Alfie and friend Vi a nice Christmas. But unexpectedly, a woman and her son arrive on her doorstep. But who are they? And is there any truth to the accusations they have made about Alan?

I really enjoyed this, I was drawn in straight away from the first page and I read the book in one sitting.

I liked Kay, I warmed to her straight away and I really felt for her as she worked hard to make sure things were running smoothly at home with Alan away. Kay's story really touched me because she had to live her life and carry on even through the tough times and the horrors of the Blitz. I admired her bravery and her courage and how she coped with everything that was thrown at her. I was very curious about Alan and the claims surrounding him, was it all true? Who was Alan really? I was hooked to this part especially, I wanted to find out the truth about him and so I was racing through the pages determined to find out.

Carol Rovers is such a talented writer, her descriptions are so detailed and vivid that I could picture every scene clearly in my mind, and it was almost as if I had been transported back in time and was standing amongst the characters, with the sights and sounds of that time around me. It was very realistic and I was often quite moved by what I was reading.

A Wartime Christmas is a story of bravery, love, sad times, pulling together and hope. Carol has written a fantastic story that had me gripped until the very end.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 4 Sept. 2013
A great story kept me gripped to the end only wished there had been more hope she may do a follow up to see how they had all got on

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 13 Oct. 2013
Did not want it to end, could not put down, had to know what would happen next, can't wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A page turning read..., 1 Dec. 2013
This review is from: A Wartime Christmas (Paperback)
A Wartime Christmas is a captivating tale of pain and passion at the heart of the Blitz. This is a vivid, moving and absorbing story which reminds us that love and life continue in even the most darkest of times. Carol Rivers brings hope and courage to her novel about lives blighted by the Blitz. The main character, Kay Lewis has to make some tough decisions and her journey of love, loss and passion keeps you turning the page until the very end. I loved this book and can't wait for the next Carol Rivers novel...

5.0 out of 5 stars need a good read!, 19 Jan. 2014
a really good read, informative yet very entertaining. One doesn't want to stop reading and when one has to longs to get back to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Moving Tale of Triumph in the Face of Adversity, 29 Dec. 2013
Mrs. C. Colbert (Blackburn, Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A Wartime Christmas (Paperback)
Kay Lewis is the book's likeable main character. She has a young son, Alfie, her husband Alan has recently left his job and joined the Heavy Rescue Squad and Kay works in the local armaments factory. They are a happy family unit who are struggling, like so many families, to survive during the War. Her elderly friend and neighbour Vi's house is bombed and Kay lets her live with them. Money is scarce but they manage.

This is a story of how people cope in such hardship, of how friendships and love are tested and how they survive in the most challenging of situations, living in constant fear of air raids and the deadly doodlebugs. How they try to grasp a little happiness in such desperately sad and lonely times.

I thought the blurb was a little misleading, it reads as if it's one Christmas but the book covers several Christmases while Alan is away at war, and Kay's mind is in turmoil over the strange woman and her small son who makes hurtful claims about her husband.

While overall the book was an enjoyable read, I would have liked to have known what Kay was really thinking and feeling about her husband being missing - did she think he was dead or alive - was she moving on or was she still holding out hope for him? I thought the author did not make it clear.

The writing was clear though and made for an easy read with resilient and sympathetic characters. What I did like was how the author kept us guessing as to what was happening with Alan, there was just one teaser chapter which gave us more questions than answers!

I enjoyed reading the story and would read another one by Carol Rivers.

5.0 out of 5 stars wartime christmas, 25 Nov. 2013
This review is from: A Wartime Christmas (Paperback)
Brilliant book, kept you interested start to finish, couldn,t put it down once started to read. recomend it to anyone who likes war stories

4.0 out of 5 stars War and romance, 8 Jan. 2014
This review is from: A Wartime Christmas (Paperback)
The book felt light even with the heavy background at hand. I liked that as the pages just turned themselves that way.

East End during the blitz. Horrors daily and fear, but Kay just lives her life even if it's tough. She misses her son who is evacuated. She is married to Alan who, yes who has secrets and I kept wondering through out the book what really was going on with him.

There is a good cast of side characters too, Viv who lives next door and then a bunch of other neighbors who lives on the street. And then there is a bitchy woman who shows up and she, arghh, so deserved a smack over the head. She brings something new into the story, good and bad things.

There is also more than one Christmas in the book. The book starts during the blitz and ends after the war is over.

Conclusion:
A good book with interesting characters and the same goes for the scenery. I enjoyed it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Second World War tale, 17 Jan. 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars East End in wartime, 21 Nov. 2013
ruralbuyer (Lincolnshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Wartime Christmas (Paperback)
I have always found Carol River's books extremely good. This was no exception apart from the rather unlikely Dolly-Alan-Sean story. Even so, it was still a good read albeit a little over mushy at times between Alan and Kay. One or two things didn't sit quite right though, such as the enormous amount of food that seemed freely available on some occassions. There was no such thing as a large meal in wartime, Christmas or otherwise, in fact most civilians spent the war slightly hungry. And as for the large fruit cake, where I wonder did the dried fruit come from, not to mention the other ingredients that were strictly rationed. Having said that, no book is perfect and I enjoyed it as much as the other Carol River's stories.

A Wartime Christmas
A Wartime Christmas by Carol Rivers (Paperback - 10 Oct. 2013)