5.0 out of 5 stars present for hubbie, 1 April 2014
I bought this as a present for my husband - he was overjoyed with it and really enjoyed reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly researched, 30 Mar 2014
I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was about time I learned more about this great footballer that was tragically taken away from us at such a young age. It was thoroughly researched and highly readable as well as being heart wrenching the closer his imminent death became. I can highly recommend it and I am certainly glad I read it so as not to be ignorant about 'Big Dunc' and The legendary 'Busby Babes'. What Duncan Edwards achieved in such a short time was remarkable and should never be forgotten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 10 Dec 2013
Like a lot of MUFC fans I really did not know a lot about Duncan Edwards.
The author has certainly researched the facts and has written a really good book on this iconic figure.
A quiet Man off the pitch but a determined player on it,
I am sure that he would have been a top top player in today's game, unfortunately we will never know!

5.0 out of 5 stars kindle purchase, 16 Oct 2013
bought this as a hard back a few years ago and my husband enjoyed it but gave it away once it had been read. So thought i would invest for him it again but this time on kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Duncan, 15 Oct 2013
I was born in Dudley and I'm a Birmingham fan, however I always tell people I was born in Dudley first. Great book of the great account of possibly the best player in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 1 July 2013
Bought for Husband to read on holiday - he loves it - I can disappear to the shops and leave him to read

5.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly enjoyable and informative read, 14 May 2013
Thomas Thacker "buckeye" (North Wales) - See all my reviews
Manchester United fans of the Duncan Edwards era will enjoy the very informative details of this remarkable footballer told through words of the football writers who witnessed the genius of Duncan first hand. Readers can share the sadness of the death at such an early age and realize the loss not only to Manchester United but also the the England world cup aspirations. James Leighton describes the remarkable career of Duncan from his beginnings as a schoolboy through to youth international to finally making his debut for Manchester United at just 18 years of age. A truly compelling read giving an insight into this remarkable talented young man.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for all United fans (or fans of Football in general), 11 May 2013
M. Warburton (UK) - See all my reviews
James Leighton's wonderful Book on Duncan Edwards is a must-read for any Manchester United fan.
"Without any past we have no present, without any present we have no future" - and so it is that any Football Club's History & Tradition in these days of Footballing multi-millionaires, WAGS, ostentatious Mansions/Cars and egomaniacal parasitic Owners now more than ever we need to be remember, seek out and remind ourselves what Football is really about. Where it all started. How it got here.
My deep love for Manchester United and the Sport of Football itself has been sorely tested by my own Club and many other Clubs in the last decade or so, and this is why reaching back into Manchester United - Football's - history is now more than ever so important if that Love for the Beautiful Game is to remain unsullied or diluted.
This fine Book maintains superbly well the tradition of Writer-Historians reaching back into what seems like another world to remind us how The Beautiful Game came to have such a moniker attached to it in the first place.
Life for people like Duncan Edwards and their class was tough back in the mid-1900's - we rarely think how good we have it by comparison - but James' book transports the reader back utterly convincingly to the period into which Duncan Edwards was born, grew up and played his way to becoming a Manchester United Player & Legend as well as an England International.
In the same way that I didn't have to be a Horse Racing fan to be captivated by Laura Hillenbrand's "Seabiscuit" so it is that you don't have to be a Manchester United Fan - or even a fan of Football (though it might help!) - to enjoy James Leighton's excellent Book.
I knew much about Duncan Edwards as I had sought out information on the almost mythological status of this particular Player who died along with many other talented Team-mates and Journalists that fateful, terrible snowy night in Munich - but even so James' book enlightened & informed me hugely - partly thru his obviously diligent & exhaustive research, but also through his very apparent talents as a Writer.
EVERY Manchester United Fan - from Manchester to Mandalay - should see it as their duty as well as a labour of love to read this Book and acquaint themselves with a Man and a truly gifted Football Player with the World quite literally at his feet and by global common consent at the time was destined to become one of the Greatest Football Players OF all-time.
Manchester United Football Club transcends Football - such is it's status inside & outside the game around the World. This is in no small part due to it's History, it's Achievements, the calibre and class of it's Players & Managers, the Munich Air Disaster, it's Footballing prowess ethos & values, it's innately Dramatic modus operandi almost - and Duncan Edwards is a key key figure in all these regards.

James Leighton's book captures & shares all of this brilliantly.

Duncan Edwards - The Greatest was shortlisted for 2012 William Hill Sports Book Of The Year.

5.0 out of 5 stars memories, 6 May 2013
This review is from: Duncan Edwards: The Greatest (Hardcover)
For all those readers who, like me, never saw this man play, this is a book that tells us how much we missed, excellantly researched, with a wonderfully interesting point that the modern day player would have found it difficult to perform on the pitches of yesterday, in, of course the playing gear of those times, l found the book engrossing and a joy to read, you will too, buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest, 4 May 2013
It's such a difficult argument to justify. The greatest player or the greatest player you have ever seen live or on tv.

Having read this book and perhaps I'm tinged with a little bit of Black Country bias I believe "our Dunc" is probably the greatest player ever. Why?

1. Read the book!

2. Having read the book and digested the conclusions, could any other player past or present achieved what Edwards did in so many different positions, with such quality and with the praise that he did in such a short career. It's obvious he was a freak. That's a compliment.

3. Who could come close? In the modern game, for me it would be Gullit. Similar in stature, pace and if asked, could play anywhere. Rooney - if bigger would try and play any position. You have to admire him. Gullit for me is the closest.

Many clubs and countries have great players, Steve Bull, Jeff Astle, Nat Lofthouse, Stan Mathews, Pele, Eusabio, Beckenbauer, Colin Bell etc etc so many. For me having read the book, the newspaper articles, and watched the film available Duncan Edwards is the Greatest footballer ever

Duncan Edwards: The Greatest
Duncan Edwards: The Greatest by James Leighton (Hardcover - 24 May 2012)
13.68