5.0 out of 5 stars delightful and delicious recipes
Published on 8 Mar. 2012 by Rogers

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute and comforting traditional British food x
Published on 5 July 2012 by cupcake girl

5.0 out of 5 stars delightful and delicious recipes, 8 Mar. 2012
I bought this book last weekend and have already tried several recipes. The slow cooked chilli using a hint of paprika and chorizo gives a new spin on an old classic. Also tried Victoria's lasagne cooked especially for my teenage son and his friends - it got a definate thumbs up. The recipe's are delicious and Lisa's approach to cooking for her family and friends is delightful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply a must-have., 23 Mar. 2012
Debbie (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
I own hundreds of cookery books. Delia has long been one of my tutors and I've evolved with a sprinkling of Josceline Dimbleby, a good dollop of Jamie Oliver and a squeeze of Nigella.

Why then do I need another cookery book?

Lisa's book and is much more than a cookery book. Her recipes look tempting and easy to make and really look like they will work and become favourites with my family too.

What is different is her life story interwoven with her recipes - quite enchanting to read and brought many a tear to my eye. I'm sure her family are incredibly proud of her - she comes across as a delightful lady.

Lisa - if you ever read this, you have inspired me with your book and I'm certain your Mum will be smiling down on you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excitement followed by disappointment!, 3 April 2012
Sue Ryan "Sue" (Newcastle upon Tyne) - See all my reviews
Recipes from my Mother for my Daughter

I was so excited when I discovered I could download this recipe book onto my Kindle. It looks to be a lovely book with good reviews of the hardback version. I spend time abroad and imagined this would make it so easy to have my recipe books both at home and away. Unfortunately, the book is unusable even on the highest font. I guess the type face in the paper version must be in different colours, none of which have reproduced well on the Kindle. The lack of contrast makes it impossible to see unless you have a good light and a magnifying glass. Not a good stance when one is trying to follow a recipe. I am so disappointed because it looks to have some great recipes in it. I am left now wondering whether to buy the paper version but that defeats my original decision of having it on Kindle so I could use it abroad without the weight of the book taking up my luggage allowance. I do hope Amazon will be able to rectify this. I have contacted Amazon Kindle and they are to refund the payment.
I have given it 4 stars because I am not criticising the book - just warning other Kindle users to beware.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recipes from My Mother for My Daughter, 1 Mar. 2012
K. G. Goddard (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a lovely book, full of manageable recipes for the whole family to make. Lisa's love of cooking is evident and comes through with the little stories she tells with each recipe. A wonderful addition of my quite extensive cookbook collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful food, beautiful book, beautiful author, 6 Mar. 2012
Like most people I've had my share of cookbooks, but this is the first I've read all the way through, picking up ideas as I go.

Not only is a lovely book full of inspiring, beautiful photos with a very British jubilee feel to them, it also tells a wonderful story and introduces each recipe with a personal story from Lisa Faulkner. The introduction is very inspiring and moving, ordinarily I would of said this type of introduction was unnecessary for a cookbook. However it isn't, it sends me back to my childhood and the food I grew up with and got me in the mood to cook.

Although Lisa's culinary fame came about through winning Celeb Master Chef, the recipes are suited for all abilities. Many cookbooks I own have dishes way out of my cooking range, this book has wide selection suitable for all skill levels.

My favourite dishes so far that I've tried are rice crispie chicken, Betty's corned beef pie, macaroni cheese and the amazing Beef Wellington. Beef Wellington is my favourite dish of all time and this is the only recipe I've managed to pull off with great reviews from friends and family. I never need to buy store made again! The book is divided into seasons, I can't wait for summer to try some of the delicious looking BBQ dishes.

Overall this is a lovely book, with lovely recipes, lovely photos with a lovely personal touch from the lovely Lisa Faulkner.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for amateur cooks, 16 Mar. 2012
Each recipe contains a personalised introductory note which makes the reader feel closer to the author. You wouldn't feel intimidated by a professional chef but rather cooking with a friend who wants to share her experience. Also, you will find pictures showing you how the final product should look like and how to serve it. Ingredients are easy to find and you won't require exotic cooking utensils.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly Different, 2 Mar. 2012
What an excellent and different cook book. It is partly auto biographical with interesting recipes and makes you want to experiment and try them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Cookery Book Ever (until her next one), 7 Sept. 2013
I have had this book for months now and it is my bible. I've cooked nearly every recipe in it and have received nothing but praise which for me is unusual and amazing. Lisa has given me the confidence to try anything and I am so grateful for that. I feel like I can cook now. I could not recommend this book high enough whether you are getting started or competent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really lovely, 12 April 2012
I bought this book about a month ago and have made several recipes, all of which have turned out well and I'm looking forward to trying some more. But for me, the style of her writing and obvious passion for special recipes that are dear to her makes it all the more appealing. I really love this book, it is well illustrated, well written from the heart and would recommend it without hesitation. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute and comforting traditional British food x, 5 July 2012
cupcake girl (The Provinces, England) - See all my reviews
Lisa was my favourite contestant on Celebrity Masterchef so I was excited to discover she had a book coming out. When I first got hold of the book, I was actually quite disappointed at the recipes, they are all pretty traditional foods which I already know how to cook (for example, toad in the hole, chicken masala, tarragon chicken and the like. There's even a recipe for mince!) I think most people know how to cook these. However after I read the book all the way through, I earmarked several recipes and proceeded to make them.
The book is based around seasons of the year so all of the recipes are in chapters spring, summer, autumn and winter. In autumn and winter you can find hearty winter fare such as stews, casseroles and Christmas cookies and in the warmer months there are lighter dishes like fish and pasta.
The first recipe I tried was the rice kris pie chicken. I've been making my own homemade chicken nuggets for years but never thought of using rice kris pies to coat them(although I have used cornflakes). Furthermore, the method of using mayo to coat the chicken is brilliant, I've always dipped in flour, egg and breadcrumbs but Lisa's method is easier and keeps the chicken incredibly moist. Not surprisingly they were a big hit with the kids and also made great sandwich fillers!
Next I tried the spinach, tomato and cream cheese quiche which also worked beautifully, although a tad too cream cheesy for me(not a major criticism, just a matter of personal taste) it was still good though!
The children made the sausage rolls and scones and they were good although you can't really go wrong with sausage rolls can you?
The only recipe from the book (so far) which really bombed was the spaghetti carbonara. Lisa suggests using cottage cheese instead of eggs but it totally does not work, the texture is gross and the whole thing just tastes like cottage cheese which is so not good. My children who will eat anything if served with pasta ate it all though so not a complete waste of time.

So, the recipes are in fact quite good but there's nothing new or inventive here. If like me, you are quite experimental and adventurous in the kitchen, you may find this quite boring. It would make a great gift for a novice however.

The main reason for reading this book in my opinion is to read about Lisa herself. She comes across as incredibly sweet and charming and has put a lot of love into this book. Every recipe has a background story which comes from the heart and I really like that. Yes, it is cloyingly cute so if you don't like cloyingly cute or traditional British food then put this book down now, it's not for you!

Recipes from My Mother for My Daughter
Recipes from My Mother for My Daughter by Lisa Faulkner (Paperback - 28 Feb. 2013)