5.0 out of 5 stars I Know what song you have in your head!
I have read all of Jane Costello's books and I love them as they are always full of down to earth humour, which make the books such a joy to read so having thoroughly enjoyed her previous I had no hesitation in ordering her latest book All the Single Ladies even though it meant I haven't been able to get the song out of my head!

As soon as we meet our main...
Published on 9 April 2012 by realovesbooks

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as her other books
Published on 2 April 2012 by Best Crime Books

5.0 out of 5 stars I Know what song you have in your head!, 9 April 2012
realovesbooks (South east London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: All the Single Ladies (Hardcover)

As soon as we meet our main character Sam it is clear that her life has just been turned upside down. Partner Jamie has decided that he can't be with Sam anymore as he now has plans to move to South America and these plans do not include Sam although he insists he still loves her. This is hard for any girl to hear and it sounds like mixed messages as surely if you love someone you cannot bear to be without them. Distraught Sam soon comes up with a plan along with the help of her tow friends and Jamie's sister to try and win him back and change his mind.

We see some of Jane Costello's familiar humour shining through in some of the situations that occur to win back Jamie one of my favourites involving a malfunctioning boob boost! I found that Sam's character felt pretty in depth which I think is helped by the fact that the book is told from Sam's point of view so we get to see and feel her thoughts and feelings first hand. I did find at one point in the book closer to the end that I wanted to throttle her for the way she was treating character Ben as I loved him he came across as a true caring gentleman.

Although the book was witty throughout the book there was also a deeper topic which was briefly covered to do with one of Sam's friends and I thought this was covered very delicately and gave a lovely unexpected touch to the book.

I really enjoyed this book and part of me didn't want it to end however I love the ending to this book as it was unpredictable and in all honesty I couldn't have hoped for a better ending to a great book. I cannot wait for another Jane Costello book to come out, this was a thoroughly enjoyable read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as her other books, 2 April 2012
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: All the Single Ladies (Hardcover)
I was really looking forward to reading Jane's new release All The Single Ladies. The last book of hers I read was Girl on The Run which I absolutely loved. This book I also enjoyed but with hand on heart can't say it's my favourite. We meet Sam Brooks as she is going through turmoil. Her boyfriend Jamie has decided that as much as he loves her he has to fulfil his dream of travelling. With that in mind Jamie decides to break it off with Sam, and she in turn makes it her mission to win him back no matter what.

I liked Sam and felt so sorry for her, but to be honest about a quarter of the way in I wanted to shake some sense into the girl. I liked her, but her obsession with winning Jamie back had begun to grate a little on my nerves! However, although I was somewhat irritated, with the appearance of Ben her new man the story took a major upturn. The second half of the book was absolutely brilliant and I found myself smirking and laughing as Sam got herself deeper and deeper into trouble with her ridiculous situations.

One thing I also enjoyed was meeting Sam's friends Jen and Ellie and seeing what happened to them. They were both lovely characters but with their own issue and flaws. I also liked the addition of Luke, Jamie's friend and his relationship woes. One think that did strike me as odd though was that Luke seemed like an addition to the story without anything actually happening with him (if that makes sense).

Like I said before the second half of the book was brilliant and made up for my struggles with Sam in the first half. I certainly enjoyed this and can see that Jane Costello definitely ticks all the right boxes, but for some reason this just isn't my favourite of hers. I will still look forward to her new release, and catching up on her older books that I have yet to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun with a twist or two, 6 Aug. 2013
This review is from: All the Single Ladies (Paperback)
This is my first Jane Costello read though I have had another one on the bookshelf for a while. It was after page 200 before I realised what the title of the book meant - I kept puzzling how it was relevant as I was reading. Also I wasn't sure I'd like it as I am a good 15 years older than Sam and her friends, and thought I might be a bit "too old" for it and not find the characters relatable. And for the first half I thought I was right. We are introduced to Sam Brooks whose "perfect" boyfriend Jamie has decided to go off travelling after a 6 year relationship. This was how the couple originally met when Sam was on a gap 7 months (!) with her two female friends Jen and Ellie, who also play a large part in the story. Sam can't accept it and with the back up of her mates and Jamie's sister launches a campaign to get him back and make him change his mind before he flies out. There were some funny and some cringeworthy moments - Gordon the carpet salesman cracked me up! - as she launches her campaign. Facebook, internet dating and constant texting also feature heavily and can lead to many opportunities for confusion in relationships and a lot of angst!

I enjoyed all the name checks of places in Liverpool as I have been in many of the bars and shopping places myself and recognised them. Sam has great friends and family and I liked all the relationships and interaction between them all. I also liked the mini-plots going on within the main story - Julia's shock, Ellie's very serious problem. This I couldn't understand; how had she got herself into that, and what had driven her to it? How did her husband not realise? We never find out. Little Sophie was just a cutie and I couldn't help smiling at every page she featured on. I thought there was some editing error though with the ages of Julia and Sam's mum and the storyline - the dates and ages didn't seem to add up.

As we get into the second half, Sam, and the book, grow up. Well, if you discount the scene in the supermarket which I thought just ridiculous. She seems to lose the blinkers she had on when with Jamie and realise where the cracks had been in the relationship. I thought she would have had at least a vague notion that he maybe couldn't settle down forever, and we find out about his faults and he is revealed as quite a selfish, laddish character. Knowing this I wondered why she had gone to such lengths to get him back, and Sam eventually realises this for herself. As for Ben, maybe he was too nice for his own good. I thought the way Sam behaved towards him was atrocious. The story is very unpredictable; you never know who Sam is going to end up with, there are twists aplenty to keep your interest going, and the scene at the end, Chapter 90, is just brilliant. I'm glad to have found a great new author and thought it a good balance between serious issues and silliness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable!, 7 Oct. 2012
This review is from: All the Single Ladies (Paperback)
This was the first Jane Costello book that I have read and I will be seeking out the others very soon. I read this book in less than a day. I started it on a two hour flight and then as I couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen, stayed up until I finished it when I got home. Thankfully I was on leave from work and so could fit this 4.30am finish into my schedule! The characters are easy to relate to and the author strikes a great balance between emotion and humour. It was great to read a book with a decent storyline after a summer of 50 Shades. Loved the fact that it was set in Liverpool, this brought it to life to me as I live in the North West, even though my knowledge of Liverpool is minimal. Off to order my next Jane Costello for a train journey next weekend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 16 Feb. 2014
This review is from: All the Single Ladies (Paperback)
First of all: What a great title! :)

When Jamie tells Sam about his plans to break up and him going to South America, she is devastated. Everybody thinks, that Jamie made a big mistake. They were perfect together and now their relationship is shattered in pieces. Sam still loves him and he even tells her that he still loves her, but ...

She wants to fight for him, tries to seduce him and goes on different dates to make him jealous, which is really funny to read about.
That’s not the only problem she’s got though. Her best friend Ellie is a drinker, but she doesn’t want to be helped, not from Sam, and not from Jen, their other friend.

One of her dates is a real success, the gorgeous Ben is almost too good to be true. When he spends the night and they get real close, Jamie turns up and wants Sam back. She sais yes and he moves back into the house. That got me really annoyed. She’s finally met another great guy, and what does she do? Jumps back to her ex, who still seems to be hiding something.

The atmosphere between them is weird though. Then Sam finds some papers, booking papers. Apparently Jamie wasn’t supposed to go to South America by himself, no with another girl. The truth about Jamie and what he was hiding comes out. The was such a relief, I couldn't see her what that guy anymore.
Unfortunately, Ben is still a little angry and they don’t really see each other and then the day of decision making comes: Jamie proposes and Ben tells Sam about his feelings and she knows she feels the same, but she is soooo confused!! All I wanted was to shake her and make her see her true feelings. She was confused all the time and decided to move to New York for a few months.

Finally she gets back and goes to see her man...

I really wanted Jamie and Sam to get back together again, but when Ben came into the picture I changed my mind. Team Ben all the way!!!! A beautifully written book, with lots of fun parts and romance. I couldn’t put it down!!!!

Rating: 4.5

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Costello, 18 Dec. 2012
S. Shamma "Suad" (Abu Dhabi, UAE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All the Single Ladies (Paperback)
I cannot stress enough how much I enjoy reading Jane Costello's books. Each and every one of them I have read in one sitting, going through the pages so quickly that I'm left feeling impatient for her next book.

I waited a while for this one, and was excited when I finally got my hands on a copy of All the Single Ladies. The synopsis sounded like it was going to be another one of Costello's mad plots with the most hilarious twists and turns and the most endearingly entertaining characters.

It was a bit of a disappointment however.

Yes, the characters were endearingly entertaining. Sam Brooks - the protagonist - has just been dumped by her six year boyfriend Jaimie and is in total break down mode. Her two best friends, Ellie and Jen, are trying to pick her up and help her move on (or win him back) while they deal with their own dramatic lives.

Now, when the synopsis said that "a gorgeous new pretender has entered Sam's life", I did not think I would have to wait until page 240 for this new pretender to enter her life - and have it be the same person she once met while holding a bag of dog poo (although Costello decided to do nothing with that little fact). Ben was absolutely brilliant. He is the kind of man every girl wants in her life. He is gorgeous, sweet, domestic, mature, funny, intelligent etc. He basically ticks all the boxes, and is so obviously crazy about Sam. It is also just as obvious that their chemistry is out of this world, and Sam is smitten by him.

Yet, Sam uses him to try and make her ex-boyfriend jealous. And then when he finds out, he stomps off in anger, but later decides to forgive her and they become chat buddies. I mean...she USED you. That's not very nice at all!

It just all seemed very bizarre. There's only so many twists you can take Costello, you should have quit while ahead.

I think the story would have made so much more sense if Sam had met Ben earlier - i.e. when she actually DID at the tennis event holding that bag of dog poo, rather than through a dating website. And their journey should have started from there. I also think, after all the crap Jaimie gave her, she should have given up on him ages before she actually did. I mean, to think she went back to him in the end leaving poor Ben out in the cold. And to think she considered marrying him after finding out what she does about him. And I have to say, Jaimie cries an AWFUL lot, which to me is an immediate turn-off. I do appreciate a man who is comfortable displaying his emotions that way, but not THAT much. Get a grip. Sheesh.

Finally, the ending. Oh, the ending. That was a let down for sure. I mean, this is a chick-lit romcom novel! I'm glad she picked herself, and went on to build her life and career and so on, but I wish the ending could have showed us a little more of Ben and Sam.

I think that's where this novel fell short. There just wasn't enough of Ben and Sam - the couple this story is supposed to be about.

I really did enjoy reading this book, and I stayed up half the night reading it until its very last page, but I can't help being a tad disappointed by it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best novel yet!, 28 May 2012
This review is from: All the Single Ladies (Hardcover)
I'm a big fan of Jane Costello's laugh-out-loud novels, and have absolutely loved her previous offerings, in particular The Nearly Weds and My Single Friend, but now I have a new favourite - All The Single Ladies! The characters are thoroughly believable with the heroine particularly engaging. It's easy to sympathise with her predicament one minute and tell her to get shut of her undecided ex the next. I also loved the fact that this isn't just a book about male/female relationships, but about the complex nature of female relationships too - sister/sister, mother/daughter and friend/friend ties are all sensitively explored. Would recommend anyone who has the slightest leaning towards chick-lit to buy this book. It's an absolute delight and will keep you engrossed from start to finish.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read, 6 April 2012
M. Trevelyan (Brentwood essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All the Single Ladies (Hardcover)
An interesting tale where once the heroine gets what she thinks she wants she immediately begins to question it. Samantha, the lead character is likeable and is devastated when she learns that her boyfriend Jamie is planning to travel. She acknowledges that he is a free spirit and that this is the most frustrating thing about him.

Instead of lying around brooding Samantha summons the help of her two closest friends and comes up with a plan - to make Jamie jealous and make him see the error of his ways. We enter the world of internet dating with mixed results and then Ben arrives and things begin to get complicated.

As well as the problems Samantha has in her love life she comes to realise that her best friend is spiralling towards alcoholism and there are some touching scenes when she confronts her in an effort to help her deal with the problem. There are plenty of surprises and upbeat moments in the book. Samantha's family also feature and add to her worry load as her sister decides to seek out her birth father which leads to the unearthing of a few skeletons in the closets.

An entertaining read that is both funny and touching.

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 26 April 2012
This review is from: All the Single Ladies (Hardcover)
I loved 'The Nearly Weds', I liked 'Bridesmaids' and I thought 'Girl on the run' was fantastic, so I had very high hopes for this book.
However, I didn't empathise as much as I wanted to with the character of Samantha Brooks because I got bored with her quite vacuous lifestyle and friends. I couldn't see why she desperately wanted Jamie her boyfriend who dumped her back, and the new man Ben was too perfect, but the style of writing was highly comedic, so who cares.
Sam made me laugh and I kept on wanting to go back to the book to find out what happened with each character next, to the point I put off going out.
I have to say while this book is definitely a good read, it didn't really engross me until Julia, Samantha's sister's storyline really became more apparent and I wish she and Sam's parents had featured more. I also felt I wanted to know more about Ellie, Sam's best friend and what led to her problem, although I am aware this is a light read and the introduction of these other themes is one of the many reasons the previous books have been so entertaining, and head and shoulders above other of the genre.
I liked the way the book ended and it was as uplifting as it was unpredictable. I will be definitely hotly anticipating the next book from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 8 Feb. 2013
Once I got into this book I couldn't put it down, there are some cringe moments in that most girls will think, oh God I've done that and there are parts where I was crying I was laughing that much.

All the Single Ladies
All the Single Ladies by Jane Costello (Paperback - 7 Jun. 2012)