4.0 out of 5 stars Great parenting guide
This has been a real help with my first child who is now almost 8 months old. I got this from the library and liked it so much I bought it. I have found it particularly useful when learning about what to expect at each stage, about moving from breastfeeding to cup feeding and how to help your child to grow and develop.

Some of the other popular parenting books...
Published 21 months ago by MrsWillis

1.0 out of 5 stars Spock's Guide to Child Neglect: should be burned!!
Did you know...? Did you know that not just one but two of Dr. Spock's children committed suicide!? And would't you agree that this reflects badly on his parenting skills?

Published 6 months ago by A. G. Hamer

4.0 out of 5 stars Great parenting guide, 27 Nov 2012
This review is from: Dr Spock's Baby & Childcare (Paperback)

Some of the other popular parenting books seem to me to be a bit bonkers. I felt comfortable with this book, as it is written by experienced health care professionals. It also does not tell you what your baby 'should' be doing at each stage, but instead tells you when to be concerned.

I have used this book alongside some of the NCT books, and also alongside 'Weaning Made Easy' by Dr Rana Conway, which is also a very useful, practical guide to weaning using the method of your choice (ie either baby-led weaning, purees, or a combination).

4.0 out of 5 stars must read, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dr Spock's Baby & Childcare (Paperback)
Very practixal, filled with good advice. ? Most of it seems obvious but reading it makes it sink in and you realize you had it all along.

5.0 out of 5 stars Partner loves it, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Dr Spock's Baby & Childcare (Paperback)
Was for my partner as we are having our first child. She has read through most of the book now and quite enjoys it. I read some also though and I wasn't overly impressed. Some of the things it talks about I would have thought it was common sense, no need to talk about it for more than a 1 line nevermind page. But I guess not everyone is as easy going and thoughtful especially if they are the nervous first time parents.

All in all though I can't fault the book, seems like a well put together book and worth the money I paid for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best baby book, 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: Dr Spock's Baby & Childcare (Paperback)
I bought this book for my daughter on the birth of my first grandson. Both my daughters were 'Dr Spock' babies, so the trnd continues. Would definately recommend this above all others, he knows what he is talking about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Aug 2014
Modern classic!

1.0 out of 5 stars Spock's Guide to Child Neglect: should be burned!!, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: Dr Spock's Baby & Childcare (Paperback)

Child rearing has been done for thousands of years without any "advice" from doctors and it's purely a biological function, an instinctive function. Human are mammals and we don't need advice on how to let a child just lie there when it's crying and by doing so indicates its needs! Dr. Spock 's basic premises is that the mother should just go against her natural instincts and totally ignore the needs of the baby. Instead she just follow his "schedule" for feeding! What a fool! How did he make it up? he must have been jealous of the attention his wife gave to their babies, or tired of the diaper smells. "Get that child out of my face woman!!" would be another synopsis of this Guide to Child Neglect. But don't forget, this man somehow got respect and admiration for his heinous crimes against humanity. What does a male know about child-rearing?

It makes me really sad to see that the book of this child abuser is (after over 40 years!) still being sold. For one, the content is obviously very much outdated now. Two, the advice of this man has ruined many people's lives. A child is at its most vulnerable before it can walk or speak. That is exactly when this child abuser pops his head around the corner and starts spouting his inanities.

I am not an advocate of book burnings, but this book should be burned en masse, huge piles of it. Dr Spock's remaining family -although I feel sad for what they must have suffered while living with this vicious psychopath - should be forced to pay damages to all the survivors of his "child rearing" methods.

Dr Spock's Baby & Childcare
Dr Spock's Baby & Childcare by Dr. Benjamin Spock (Paperback - 21 Jun 2012)
11.89