5.0 out of 5 stars Robots uprising!
There is a New War igniting by the very machines that were serving humans 'Robots.' Is there any hope for the human race and what weapon could match the ability of the artificial intelligence?
We had zombies with World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War and vampires with The Strain nows the time for something new and fresh setting a new trend, evil robots. A...
Published on 19 Jun 2011 by Lou pendergrast

2.0 out of 5 stars Read World War Z instead
I so wanted to love this book. I thought that the writers background, Spielberg's buying of the movie rights from Foley's, and all of the great reviews, would guarantee a technological & emotional roller coaster, a magnificent world striding tour de force - in short, a modern sci-fi classic. What we got instead was a small, largely badly written, jingoistic, borderline...
Published on 19 Feb 2012 by dazzaboy

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 22 Aug 2012
This review is from: Robopocalypse (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found very little to dislike about it. My only fault would be that it wasn't long enough and I wanted more so it only gets 4 stars.

I enjoyed the style of writing but think it might not be to everyone's taste, its short sharp chapters, each chapter being about a different character at a different time. I found it easy to keep up with the characters and follow their story's to a conclusion over a period of years.

Its a good read, I liked the characters and sympathised with their predicament, the action comes thick and fast, their are twist's and turns and it all kept me guessing. Whats not to like.

Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars ROBO war kicks ass, 21 Aug 2012
This review is from: Robopocalypse (Kindle Edition)
This book was great from start to finish. If you have seen the Matrix, read any Phillip K dick or seen any science fiction film recently then you will be at home reading this book. The book is fast paced, the science behind the robot uprising seems believable and action and violence depicted is quite graphic. The story is great and you really feel like this could happen one day. I would highly recommend this book and I cant wait for the Spielberg film now. Read it before the movie as
I'm sure they will tone it down some.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Easy Read, 12 Sep 2011
Mrs. C. Colbert (Blackburn, Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Robopocalypse (Robo 1) (Paperback)
I don't read a great deal of Science Fiction books as sometimes I find them a little too 'heavy' and long-winded with lots of scientific jargon that I find difficult to follow ....... but I'm happy to say that this book doesn't fall into that category. It was quite an easy read with some likeable characters.

As the blurb mentions, the story starts just after the War has ended and we are introduced to the main protagonist who finds a black box that's showing holograms of the robot uprising and he writes it all down as he thinks everyone should know about it from beginning to end ......... and this is how the story starts.

The first chapter details how and why the uprising began and each chapter from then on is narrated by a different character - we meet most of them before Zero Hour (this is how the uprising is described) and they are a fascinating mix - including a soldier in Afghanistan, a little girl in the US who's dolls suddenly start talking to her, an elderly man in Japan who's a machine expert with a doll robot for a companion. An interesting mix that we also meet during and after Zero Hour.

I really liked how each chapter deals with the way each person has coped with the uprising and how they survived it.

There are lots of descriptions of different kinds of robots who do all sorts of jobs from domestic robots in the house to Army soldiers, we know what they're made of, their size, shape etc. and I did have difficulties sometimes visualising these robots.

"In the first months after Zero Hour, billions of people around the world began a fight for survival. Many were murdered by the technology they had come to trust: automobiles, domestic robots and smart buildings."

This isn't a gory story of fighting, though there is some of that, but there are human stories and tales of survival and heroism and this is what makes it so interesting and gripping.

A well-written and steady paced novel that was scary in parts (I even think the cover is scary!)

4.0 out of 5 stars A novel for big bucks, not for big brains, 31 Aug 2011
Andrew Ross "J. Andrew Ross" (Southern England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robopocalypse (Robo 1) (Paperback)
This is a real page-turner with a great concept and a neat execution. But the focus on butchery and horror is too much for a cool chap like me. I don't see any possible future where robots go berserk like this. Sorry, Dr. Wilson, you may be a robogeek but in all honesty the scenario sucks. I too studied robots and I published a 1996 novel (now defunct) exploring a way for robots to take over the world in a slightly more civilized fashion. As for the writing style, the breathless verbatim reports of immediate observers is great for putting the reader in the battlezone but is really a cop-out for an author who couldn't make a more considered perspective on this scenario fly straight if he tried. The novel is a great addition to the Michael Crichton tradition and a natural for Steven Spielberg treatment, but I despair for your soul, Dan Wilson. If you want to see how the robots can really achieve their Global Organo-cybertronic Dominion, read my 2010 manifesto G.O.D. Is Great and weep. Snoozilicious it may be compared to Robopocalypse, but at least it seems feasible in the cool light of day. In short, Dr. Wilson has written a novel for big bucks, not for big brains.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps too short...., 30 July 2011
A. MALIK (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robopocalypse (Robo 1) (Paperback)
Robopocalypse is written as a chronological sequence of historical records from several different characters point of view, much like world war Z.

Where this book succeeds best is in the first half outlining the birth of a super-intelligent quantum machine and humankind being hunted in cities and having to find refuge in the wild, to escape all manner of mechanical machines who have begun to hunt them. The latter half of the book shows the fightback. The problem with telling such a grand story in such relatively brief length is that the book seems to jump from action scene to action scene as the story moves towards the end, its jarring.

Some of the most interesting ideas which I won't mention for spoilers sake, are touched upon but not fully explored. The book was signed to become a movie directed by Steven Spielberg before being published and perhaps this is what lead to its brevity, to make the adaption as easy as possible. Whereas I think the breadth of story, characters and ideas meant the book could have been twice the length.

However these points aside I still thought it was a great read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Almost painfully inadequate, 7 Dec 2011
This review is from: Robopocalypse (Robo 1) (Paperback)
I've got to say I agree with whats been posted in pretty much every 1 or 2 review going, so rather than repeat what I've read there I want to make a couple of points I've not seen elsewhere.

First up, where is the drama in this book? The robot rises up, kills a couple of billion people, then the humans win. There's literally no discussion of shortages of ammunition, food, or the logistical support needed to create a military machine to fight the war. No one ever has to make a single tough ethical choice or is ever really under threat. In World War Z (the most comparable book to this in my opinion) people literally have to eat their friends to survive. In this, there is none of that. As far as I can tell the worst thing that happens to any of the character is that they are sometimes scared. Wow. Drama.

Second, what is the robot trying to do? There is a bunch of muddled nonesense about this, but ultimately its never made clear if its trying to rebuild humanity into some sort of new race, eliminate humanity and return earth to a garden of Eden, or something in between. I have no idea what the motivation of the enemy in this book was, so I don't care about him, therefore I can't bring myself to care about any of the other characters fighting an essentially faceless enemy, who seems to want to avoid killing humans.

Third, apparently you only need 4 people to save the world. World War Z didnt have a cast of characters, it had a story, which it told through lots of individual accounts. This book tries to do the same, but the author forgets this after a few chapters and just recycles the same characters over and over. The last few sections he abandons even this and just goes for 2 characters, utterly losing even the slight vestages of recognition there is a wider world. The first person narrative also annoyed me in this regard. You can't have a narrator who is inside the head of the character's he is talking about. Either it's first person, or its a narrative style.

Finally, so many of the problems in the book are solved essentially by magic. (SPOILERS AHEAD). There's a magic girl who can "see" machines, which is set up as a big deal but ultimately achieves nothing. There's a magic robot who frees lots of other robots. Neither of these things are explained or explored. They just happen. Its some of the worst Deus Ex Mecanica that I've ever read.

Boring, generic and dull. It was a struggle to read. Do not spend money on this. Go buy World War Z again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful book - avoid at all costs, 7 Nov 2011
Toby Frith (Tunbridge Wells) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robopocalypse (Robo 1) (Hardcover)
The idea of a sentient AI going "rogue" and turning on mankind isn't new - we saw it delivered in stunning style by James Cameron with the Terminator films. Wilson, himself a robotics engineer, has this thriller revisiting old ground, instead going for a global approach by seeing the rise of the robots through a number of POVs. It's a clunky page turner with little or no quality about it whatsoever, told with little in the way of any definable style and not even having anything approaching a remotely interesting plot. The fact that the malevolent AI has the same name as a clunky digital music player didn't endear me either. Avoid at all costs.

1.0 out of 5 stars World War Z(eroes and ones) II, 26 July 2011
This review is from: Robopocalypse (Robo 1) (Paperback)
If you thought the despicable World War Z by Max Brooks was bad, just wait until you see this. Same format, very short 'historical' chapters told in the same 'voice' whether the narrator is a young girl or an old man but with robots instead of zombies. One of the dumbest, most irritating books I have read for a while - the film will make Transformers 2 look intelligent. Silly and without depth, why does the newly created computer mind want to destroy all humanity? Who knows, just because the author watched Terminator is my guess. To think the last science fiction book I read was Zoo City by Lauren Beukes, an amazing piece of writing, like buying a ZX Spectrum to say "Hello world!" after using the fastest supercomputer to manage a city's infrastructure. This is at best a holiday read for people that don't like books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling page turner, 24 Sep 2011
A. J. Waters "AW" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robopocalypse (Robo 1) (Paperback)
I have just finished this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. The short 'news bulletin' style chapters keep the story moving quickly and introduce us to a wide range of events leading to the 'New War.'

Once the war develops it is fascinating to see how the robots evolve once they gain control of their own design.

One can easily see how this book will soon be adapted into a film. My main criticism would be that it is quite short and many things which deserve more attention are quickly passed over.

The second half is weaker and the opening chapter revealing the outcome of the war will be a point of contention for many.

Regardless this is still an imaginative and exciting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Immense Fun!, 2 Aug 2011
This review is from: Robopocalypse (Robo 1) (Hardcover)
Some of my favourite films are Ghost In The Shell, I, Robot, The Matrix and the first two Terminators. And what do all these stories have in common? Bad robots! Bad, superintelligent, sentient robots in fact, the type that want to wipe out humanity, and this rich vein of storytelling is enriched still further by Robopocalypse, the first novel from Daniel H Wilson.

The novel is actually a series of collected scenes much in the same style as World War Z but instead of zombies we have Rob, as they are called. Through the scenes we see how the robots became sentient (through robot leader, Archos), how they decimated mankind, and how pockets of resistance got together and used the robot technology to their own gain in order to retaliate against their new aggressors. The structure has been done before but here each section adds to the cohesive whole of the narrative, that is extremely well plotted. You can tell the author likes science (he has a PhD in robotics) because the plot is machine-like in its construction. It reminded me of solving a particularly long-winded equation in A Level maths - the same sort of satisfaction that comes from understanding something at a logical level.

It also reminded me of a Michael Crichton book, not only because of the technological bent but because of the simple prose that drops in technical terms that always sound cool for some reason. In this respect the novel can be enjoyed by a wider audience than pure sci-fi fans (who would also enjoy it).

Steven Spielberg is planning to direct the film version in the next few years and I for one will be buying a ticket. This is a fast-paced, fun, interesting read that doesn't go too deep into emotions because it doesn't need to. If you're looking for something light and fun, but which is also intelligent, then Robopocalypse is perfect. I say light and fun but there are some extremely grisly bits in it. Thank God!

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

Robopocalypse (Robo 1)
Robopocalypse (Robo 1) by Daniel H. Wilson (Paperback - 26 April 2012)
5.59