5.0 out of 5 stars Robots uprising!
There is a New War igniting by the very machines that were serving humans 'Robots.' Is there any hope for the human race and what weapon could match the ability of the artificial intelligence?
We had zombies with World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War and vampires with The Strain nows the time for something new and fresh setting a new trend, evil robots. A...
Published on 19 Jun. 2011 by Lou pendergrast

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, generic, disposable
'Robopocalypse' is a fast-reading science fiction adventure set in the near future. Humanity succeeds in creating the first viable artificial intelligence. Unfortunately, the AI's ideas about human-AI relations are rather different from those of its creators; the resulting struggle threatens humanity with subjugation or extinction.

Daniel Wilson has a...
Published on 26 Nov. 2011 by Paul Bowes

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars entertaining enough but..., 29 Feb. 2012
Sabrina williams (saint-martin,caribbean) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robopocalypse (Robo 1) (Paperback)
i like it enough, i stayed up all night reading this couldnt put it down , i was officially creeped out after part one , it was chilling knowing a silent enemy was about to strike and save a few weary souls we were clueless(this reminded me of battlestar galactica esp rhetoric of rob about human beings bla bla bla)
i love the characters he chose to introduce us too, but in the end this novel left me unsatisfied , the structure and snippets of info were great for the pace of the story and keeping the tension but after a while of reading stuff and this would lead to x doing this and saving humanity bla bla in form of paragraphs at end of chapters had me literally peeping over the cover hoping i might see what actually happen as he kept teasing us about it, i couldnt help but feel that there was the real novel about what happened out there and this was a cliff notes version

this recollection of cormac reads as if he was still in combat not really knowing what's going on but we know that isnt the case he's got all this info at hands and choose to tell it this way, his prerogative!

author would have been better serve to tell the war from different point of views, i wanted to know more about mathilda, i think this could make a great series where you have time to tell everyone story as it is , we're getting the movie and hopefully a sequel

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!!, 20 Sept. 2011
I loved this book and couldn't put it down, my Kindle has taken a battering with this one!

The book is very neatly arranged and flows well in bite-sized chunks, my only criticism would be that some of the grander story elements (and character development arcs) are implied rather than explained fully (which I would prefer as I didn't want it to end), and time frames seem to jump very quickly with barely any acknowledgment of what has happened up until that point. (Maybe that's just me being lazy and not using my imagination)

I'm glad that this story has (apparently) fallen into the hands of Mr Spielberg and not Mr Bruckheimer. I wonder how he will handle the gore when bringing this to the big screen.

All in all this is a great tale of terrestrial threat, and hints at our volatile species being the best we can be when under those conditions.

We have all grown up watching films about this sort of thing happening, (Matrix, Terminator, I Robot etc) yet we still work towards creating this super AI. Science fiction has foretold these events for years, yet we will still show surprise in 30 years when our gentle kitchen Servitor turns to us, wielding a knife, red lights pulsing!

Just don't say Daniel H Wilson didn't warn you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have been better, 7 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Robopocalypse (Robo 1) (Paperback)
Robots trying to take over the world, sounds familiar.
The book follows several intertwining story's of the humans battle with Archos the master computer and the technological advancement of the robot world, although the end game of the robots is never clearly revealed
This will apparently be made into a movie and it certainly reads like a film, the story hops around half a dozen characters as each does something significantly important enough to aid in the final outcome of the war.
Forget character exploration, world building etc - this book is mainly a collection of action sequences that achieve an end goal of an American strike force beating all odds to destroy the master computer housed in Alaska. The task itself is completed by a sentient robot who chooses to fight for the human race of his own free will.
There are some outrageous liberties taken by the Author, as a result the story cannot be taken to seriously.
In conclusion this is a page-turning novel that reads quickly but is more of a screenplay than a novel, there is definitely hints of the Terminator films and this has the makings of another Hollywood blockbuster

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, not great, 25 Oct. 2012
Damian Boyd "Damo" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robopocalypse (Robo 1) (Paperback)
A decent book which has some good ideas, but it's too obvious this was written with a view to be made into a film (to be released 2013/14). The format is the same as World War Z, and there is nothing wrong with imitating that format, but the reader is always going to compare Robopocalypse to WWZ, and WWZ will always be a hundred times better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 27 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Robopocalypse (Robo 1) (Paperback)
Picked this up when I saw that Speilberg had optioned the script. If you are looking for a robot equivalent of World War Z then you will be disappointed. Like WWZ it has a compelling premise, sadly Wilson makes some poor structural decisions and doesn't yet have the craft to carry it off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible. How this got close to being a Spielberg ..., 22 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Robopocalypse (Robo 1) (Paperback)
Terrible. How this got close to being a Spielberg film is beyond me. The idea was completely unoriginal but the writing, total lack of actual development.....the lame rip off of what was in my view the weakness within WWZ i.e the short story after short story, meaning you develop no attachment at all to anyone just showed it up as the derivitive tosh it is. I abandoned it between being stuck with lazy Indian reservation characters, and the Japanese techy guy holed up in a factory with his switched off sex bot. I was bored and angry ended up wondering if I should actually wipe my ass with the pages or just give the book to the charity shop. Probably kinder if I don't inflict disappointment on someone else tricked into buying this waste of carbon. Damn you Spielberg !

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic reading for a very entertaining day, 6 Jun. 2011
A. G. Williams "Gavin" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robopocalypse (Robo 1) (Paperback)
Bought it in the airport.... read it same day.
There's great imagination here based on the story of an AI that eventually decides to kill the whole human race.

One of the very powerful vehicles is the use of lots of really short chapters, each with a snippet of storyline.

Top job Daniel... I don't give 5 stars often. Welcome to my "buy next book list"

3.0 out of 5 stars Still if you you like SciFi, Robots and Post Apocalyptic settings, 15 Oct. 2014
Decent enough trashy sci fi novel - shameless attempt at World War Z with a lot of ideas taken right out of the Matrix. Still if you you like SciFi , Robots and Post Apocalyptic settings, its a decent read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't live up to the hype, 21 Feb. 2015
While the story itself was good enough I can't help but feel somewhat let down by its delivery. There was too little character development, the many POV voices all read the same - lacking any kind of individual distinction. I wanted to know more about the characters, but sadly there is too little there and the story has left me of the opinion that the whole thing was rushed, as if the author couldn't wait to finish.
All in all, the ideas and overall premise of the book were great, but the author failed to actualize them in anything other than a distinctly average delivery. Perhaps Speilberg will succeed in film where Wilson was unable to in print.

2.0 out of 5 stars This is no World War Z, 28 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Robopocalypse (Robo 1) (Paperback)
Obviously the structure for this book was 'homaged' from World War Z, from the short tales telling you about the war to the potted chronological history of the conflict. But is has non of it's depth of character or skill.

Putting that aside, this just seemed to be a rehash of a 'Terminator: Rise of the machines' book I read years ago. From the tales of growing infiltration by Skynet, oops sorry Archos/Rob whatever, we then progress to the humans being trapped and killed by automated cars and robots before moving onto the battle. As I went through it, I kept thinking I had read it all before, Whether it was stories of people trapped in their automated cars or killer gardening robots, but no that was the Terminator book, the only thing missing was the launch of nuclear missiles to finish us all off.

I suppose it might be difficult for a machine revolt to be shown differently, but he did not try. I don't care how ubiquitous these robots are supposed to be but that Billions were killed in hours seems a stretch, also no one noticed all these robots infiltrated programming, etc.
I have many nitpicks I could go into but in the end this book left me with a strong sense of deja vu and a pretty boring and bland one at that.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

Robopocalypse (Robo 1)
Robopocalypse (Robo 1) by Daniel H. Wilson (Paperback - 26 April 2012)