5.0 out of 5 stars A humble legend Mr. Iommi is.
Published on 6 Nov 2011 by MARCOS ANTONIO BELLO PEREZ

3.0 out of 5 stars The story is great, the writing style not so much...
If you are a Black Sabbath fan, as I am, you will buy this book nonetheless.
The stories are great, the commentaries on every Sabbath album insightful. Tony's portrait emerges as a very down-to-earth guy who won over adversities with just stubborness and the gift of believing in himself.
That said, the writing style of this book is very dull. Divided in short...
Published on 29 Nov 2011 by Rambling Man

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A humble legend Mr. Iommi is., 6 Nov 2011
This review is from: Iron Man: My Journey Through Heaven and Hell with Black Sabbath (Hardcover)
What a great read. I love bios, I have a lot from musicians I love/like and this one is among the top 3. Full of anecdotes and cool facts from this man's life. I just wish if he could have put more pictures, but the reading itself it's great. Has lots of chapters (90) which by no means make the reading dull, quite the contrary, does it very fluid; I read it in 3 nights, but if you have the time it can be easily read in 1 day. One thing that amazes me is Mr. Iommi's humbleness considering his legend status, I mean, if it wasn't for him there would not be heavy metal. All in all a must have/read for rock and metal fans alike. Highly recommended.

p.s.: Sorry for my english.

3.0 out of 5 stars The story is great, the writing style not so much..., 29 Nov 2011
If you are a Black Sabbath fan, as I am, you will buy this book nonetheless.
That said, the writing style of this book is very dull. Divided in short chapters, it's always "We did this, we went there". "I said this, he said that". It's really transparent that is based on interviews and the ghost writer just put together the pieces. Considering Tony's unbelievable personality, it could have come out much better. But still, maybe this is the way Tony wants to look.

5.0 out of 5 stars An unalloyed delight, 21 Jan 2012
A wonderfully fresh memoir from a man who has lived through extraordinary rock and roll dreams and nightmares. I can hear Tony's soft Midlands accent as I read every line. Strikingly frank, extremely wry and funny and the complete opposite of the kind of rock that Zappa described as "Snotty Boys with Lipstick On".
The book feels like chatting to the godfather of metal over a brew and smoke in the back room.

Oh, and the back cover is more Rock than it has any right to be!

Superb.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heaven and Hell, indeed...., 25 Nov 2011
Big, big fan of Sabbath and the LeftHandedOne. To me he is the most underrated guitar maestro. I will not go into any details, but he really did go through H&H in his music, business and personal life. This is an account of it, although sometimes you may wonder if it really happened or certain substances made him believe they happened... I dropped one star only because I would have liked him to close the book by reflecting on what he could have done better, and even more so a word of wisdom to any younger readers/aspiring musicians.

Gotta get me an SG now, or at least a copy and try to learn so I can try some of those riffs :)

Finally, a huge THANK YOU to his ex-boss at the factory for playing Django Reinhart to him. We are all in your debt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book throuroughly enjoyed the journey, 30 Dec 2011
This is my first ever review! Totally enjoyed this book from the first to the last page and what made it even more fun was listening to the music while I read. Tony comes across as a great human being, awesome riffs and some serious motivation and dedication, perserverence.

He and the rest of the guys in Black Sabbath seemd to have a ball when they hit the bid time.

Thoroughly enjoyed his musical journey and thanks for this quite inspiring story ......

5.0 out of 5 stars A true original, 28 Oct 2011
B. Craig "BC" (London) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this book. I finished it the same day I got it. It gives you an insight into the personality of one of the few truly original musicians in rock. Full of great anecdotes which will make you laugh. A good fun read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The sound of Sabbath, 17 Jun 2012
Through thick and thin Iommi has kept the Sabbath flame lit, often well passed it's sell by date.
As you would expect, this is the history of the man including the gruesome accident that cut of the finger tip, the early bands leading up to Black Sabbath and their antics, the sacking of Ozzy, and the post-Ozzy line-ups and albums.
Good, simple reading (best read to with the albums blasting out as a soundtrack)and I preferred it to Ozzy's autobiography.
It is exactly would you would expect of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, 2 Jan 2012
I'm very pleased with my purchase, and never doubted that I would be when I saw it advertised. A detailed insight into the life and trials of the Father of heavy metal, from his very beginnings to the present day and not just about Black Sabbath. This book had me creased with laughter in parts, as my wife will testify, lying next to me in bed while I was reading it. My only criticism: it isn't long enough. There's a very funny punch line at the end too. Highly recommended to anyone remotely interested in Tony Iommi.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 11 Dec 2011
This book is a must-read for fans of THE best band known to humanity. Like 'I am Ozzy', it's written as a matter-of-fact, no-nonsense personal recollection of the guitarist's rock 'n' roll past. The anecdotes are, at times, laugh-out-loud funny and it's an interesting, enjoyable autobiography from start to finish. I can't say more- just read and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Read.........., 16 Nov 2011
Although I knew alot of the stories already from previous documentaries / books, there was a wealth of new material for fans of Iommi / Sabbath.....and a fascinating insight into some of the colleagues he worked with over the years....(Geezer / Ward / Ozzy / Dio / Hughes / Gillan / 'The Cat' etc).....

Read it in a couple of days as I could not put it down.

My only complaint is the story of when Toni pulled down Bill Wards pants in front of the Milton Keynes Bowl at Ozzfest 98'........I was at Ozzfest, and I swear it was Ozzy that did this..........made me feel like someone else was writing this book.....

Some insight into his equipment (amps / guitars / customization etc)........but not in precision detail.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›