4.0 out of 5 stars Good cookbook, tasty food
Published 19 months ago by Andrew Campbell

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, overly complex
Disappointing after the lovely cover and nice pictures. I thought that 3 Asian women would be able to do the job better than me. The recipes are only what you could achieve using Patak's curry pastes, and they take a lot longer. No need for a 'spice box' - what a waste of money! Also would be nice to have some narrative about each dish; its provenance and history.
Published 22 months ago by PM12SD

4.0 out of 5 stars Good cookbook, tasty food, 19 April 2013
Andrew Campbell (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Three Sisters Indian Cookbook: Delicious, Authentic and Easy Recipes to Make at Home (Mass Market Paperback)
The thing that normally puts me off recipes from cook books (and particularly Indian cookbooks which can use a LOT of ingredients) is a huge and intimidating ingredient list. This book separates out regular ingredients, ground spices and whole spices into different sections within the list, which makes the whole thing look a lot less intimidating and the recipe a lot more manageable.

There are pictures next to every recipe showing how the finished dish should turn out, and for what it's worth the presentation and photography is neat, functional and does the job well. Flicking through it makes me want to start cooking something spicy.

I've tried quite a few of the recipes and had good results, not difficult to follow and with a nice balance of flavours. The Red Split Lentil Daal in particular is providing a lot of easy, healthy, microwaveable lunches at the moment. My only issue would be as per one of the earlier reviews, where some of the cooking times seemed to be understated - though I'd also say that I've had the same issue with a number of cookbooks where the cooking time is a bit optimistic.

If this book does one thing well, it's that it makes Indian food at home accessible to the masses. Other books also do this, so you may find another book suits you better. However, the Three Sisters book has worked for me and continues to be a well thumbed and much enjoyed resource.

4.0 out of 5 stars Made some different curry recipes, 24 Feb 2013
I like this book. It is well laid out and it sits flat on the work surface which is a bonus. It gives a clear list of curry ingredients for each recipe so you check what ingredients you may need to buy. I have made quite a few of the recipes, butter chicken was very good. One tip I would give is read the recipe thoroughly first as I have been caught out a couple of times when putting the ingredients together for cooking and then I read that it should be marinated overnight. Not all the recipes require this but what I have done is go through the book and using a highlighter have marked the recipes that require this so I don't make the mistake again. A minor quibble is that book tries very hard to sell their own spice box which admittedly looks very attractive but I think is way too expensive. I bought a spice rack from Amazon (Andrew James) at a very good price and I put all my spices in the rack to they very easy to locate.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, overly complex, 18 Jan 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book!, 15 Mar 2011
I got this book as a gift and have tried 7 of the recipes so far, all of them have been absolutely delicious! The recipes are so clear and easy to follow, and not fiddly or particularly time-consuming. In fact, I made a meal for 8 using recipes from this book (butter chicken, cumin potatoes, hot and spicy chickpeas, and mango chutney) and it took me less than an hour in the kitchen. As someone who had never attempted Indian cooking before, I found the prospect daunting, I have to say this book is one of my favourite cook books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic cookery book, 24 Sep 2012
I bought this book from another seller originally but have re-ordered it as a Xmas gift from Amazon. It is probably the best Indian cookbook I have used, it is so simple and all of the recipes have worked out brilliantly so far. The main thing to note is to stock up on the spices to begin with to ensure you have them ready but after that, you only usually need a few extras i.e. meat/veg and yogurt etc. Really straight forward and some of the recipes only have a couple of steps but still turn out to be delicious. Excellent for mid week cooking when you have limited time and for dinner parties etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It, 4 Mar 2013
I wanted a no nonsense book of authentic Indian dishes and searched Amazon for such a book. The Three Sisters book looked appealing, so I read all the reviews. Yep, I thought, I'm going to for this one. It is truly fantastic and every recipe I've cooked was OH SO DELICIOUS. It's easy to read. the book stays open on the page you're working from and the ingredients are listed under 2 headings - Ground Spices and Whole Spices, allowing super easy preparation. If you are looking for a book of Indian recipes, I would highly recommend this on. You honestly won't be disappointed. Thank you Three Sisters and Thank you Amazon.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea but recipes not reliable, 5 Dec 2011
Marand (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I was attracted to this book because the recipes seemed ideal for after work suppers - delivering something fresh but quick and easy. The recipes are set out on a single page and generally involve only a few steps, although for some the preparation time (which is not stated) is longer than the cooking time.

The true test of a cook book is whether the recipes work, and here, whilst I like the ideas and the general simplicity, I am not convinced that the book does its job. I have tried a few of the recipes now and unfortunately there has been a problem with all but one of them. The main issue I have had is the amount of liquid specified is frequently too much. After the first attempt I started reducing the amount of liquid by half where the liquid content looked to be too high, figuring that I could add more as necessary. In fact I haven't actually needed to add anything more. The other problem I have found is that cooking times often seem to be inaccurate. In one recipe where the vegetables were supposed to turn out crispy, if I had used the cooking time specified in the recipe I would have been left with a soggy mess. In another, a recipe for dahl, the cooking time was clearly too short.

The recipes have the main ingredients in one column and then a 'From your Spice Box' section which lists the spices you will need. I was curious about the spice box reference until I realised, reading through the introduction, that the sisters are also trying to flog a vastly over-priced spice tin with its spice spoon to measure spices out (I have never found using ordinary tea or coffee spoons to be so difficult as to make me seek an alternative!).

There are better Indian cook books out there, and if it is quick Indian meals you are after, then I would suggest you take a look at Anjum Anand's books or Madhur Jaffrey's' Curry Easy'. In my experience, the recipes in those books are more reliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cookbook for the common man/woman, 29 Jun 2012
Bob Sherunkle (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
A few months ago, my wife went to one of the Three Sisters cookery workshops (highly recommended if you want to enhance your skills in Indian cuisine). Since then, she has become an enthusiastic user of this book. Her verdict:
"Incredible recipes, easy to follow even for a beginner. They use only a few core spices , but they achieve a surprising variation in taste by varying the proportion of different spices things between different dishes. There are suggested accompaniments (recipes for which are also in the book) for each main dish. Overall, the book, like the Sisters' workshop, demystifies Indian cooking and helps you to make curry with confidence."

We have tried most of the recipes, and all were delicious. The only downside is that, with my wife's new expertise, it is quite hard to find an Indian restaurant which meets her standards!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oscar winning book, 8 Nov 2010
Saw the sisters on This Morning TV so bought the book. The Bollywood style cover is glamorous and opulent (love the embossed gold design) but there is nothing flashy about the recipes. They all have really easy, very clear instructions and you can get all the ingredients in a supermarket. As soon as I got it I had a go at Spicy Butternut Squash Soup which was very quick to make and totally delicious. I was really impressed by the fact that there is photo for every recipe and that the book lays flat when open on the kitchen worktop. The large square format makes it look much more expensive than it is. Great for presents!

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure to cook with!, 11 Nov 2012
I was attracted to the book by its cover and internal lay out. I've now tried several of the recipes and they have all been delicious. The Mango and Apple soup is a real winner! I also bouight the spice box and spices and love using it although I think it is quite over priced. Nevertheless, I've just bought one for my daughter as a present as it is such a lovely package.