4.0 out of 5 stars Modern Fushion that really works

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun read but that's it
Published on 4 April 2011 by ElvenAngel

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern Fushion that really works, 13 Aug. 2010
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Jane Slayre: The Literary Classic with a Bloodsucking Twist (Paperback)
One of the most recent changes to the genre is to take a modern classic and put a spin upon it. Here within this offering Sherri has paid homage to this tale and taken a serious bite out of the stuffiness within for the current audience. Beautifully constructed, carefully managed, the author not only embellishes the story but adds a whole new twist of flavours for a new exciting fusion. Add to the mix a strong female lead, some great one liners and of course a tale to savour in much the same way as a fine wine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jane Eyre, Victorian Buffy, 23 May 2011
The 19th century undead butt-kicking begun with "Pride & Prejudice and Zombies" and continuing on that theme is "Jane Slayre", which features (in chronological order) vampires, zombies and werewolves. Some are critical of this shameless genre mixture, others love it.

Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed "Jane Slayre". Sherri Browning Erwin has taken Charlotte Brontė's original text but removed the tedious babble and added undead and modernised the vocabulary a bit, which I only noticed on a few jarring occasions. I was impressed by how closely the first chapter was to the original book and how cleverly she had made the Reed family into vampires, or - as it says throughout the book - vampyres, and had a good giggle at the fact the stiff servant Abbot had been turned into a zombie!

The book follows young Jane Slayre, a poor, unconnected orphan, living with her vampiric relatives at Gateshead. When she's finally taken away to Lowood school, everything seems great for a while, but there are some "special students" that sends her slayer senses tingling ... (Why Mr Brocklehurst has been re-named Mr Bokorhurst, when everything else is so close to the original, does get explained eventually.)

Adult Jane advertises, goes to Thornfield and meets the Master, with whom she falls in love (bet you never expected there were vampires afoot that dreary afternoon in Hay Lane!), but there's a problem - and it's not just because Jane suspects one or more of the house party guests to be a vampyre. It turns out there's a madwoman werewolf in the attic ...

For me, this is one of the best "Jane Eyre" sequel/rip-off I've read so far, because it does stick to the original story (the undead aside) and is fairly in keeping with the characters. Maybe because it's meant to be a bit of a laugh rather than a really serious story, it's easier to forgive some character personality errors, because hey, the original book didn't have vampires to contend with. Maybe.

Jane is turned into a 19th century Buffy, more or less. St John Rivers was probably the character I had most problems with, because I just didn't feel he was icy enough, and he even admits to fancying Jane (so, so wrong). Rochester - no qualms there at all that I can remember, surprisingly.

The thing that most bugged me was that while some of the incessant waffle has been removed to make a much sleeker and less eye-rolling read, some of the really nice and enjoyable bits have been removed as well. Did they really have to cut the proposal for pace? There were some other bits too, which left me wanting. Other bits were added instead, involving undead having their hearts staked or heads chopped off and some of those worked okay with the rest of the narrative, but others failed and were just disappointing "yeah whatever" scenes.

There were a number of occasions where I had to reach for the original to double-check if something was actually in there or if it had been an additions. In most cases, they were in there but I hadn't really noticed them before.

On the whole, though, I really enjoyed this book. It's a quirky take on a classic and keeps with it reasonably well, considering the addition of a number of creatures of the night. I like quirky things, and I love "Jane Eyre", so for me, it really worked. For others, it might not. Either way, maybe "Jane Slayre" can help bring more people in to the classics and maybe get an interest in reading the original. If that happens, great. If they don't, they've still read "Jane Eyre". And I bet they bloody enjoyed it too.

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun read but that's it, 4 April 2011
While it's one of the better monster-mashes of newer times, it's still not really something extraordinary. It's good fun to read on a very long road-trip or on the plane, but there's really not all that much to recommend it for much else. It's a good joke and that's about it. If you love the original Jane Eyre, give it a read, but don't expect it to have the quirky tenacity or bravado of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

3.0 out of 5 stars A well written, fun rewrite, 26 Jan. 2014
I have a love of the classics. The Brontės reaching the top of my favourites list. In fact, I did my final project for my English Degree on the novels of the three Brontė sisters.

I've seen the trend for horror rewrites in my local bookshop and I've warily avoided them. Odd seeing as I love classics, romance and horror alike, it should have been a great mashing of worlds for me.

So it was with a certain amount of trepidation that I picked up this book. Worried that the introduction of zombies would somehow detract from the beauty of the original.

'Jane Slayre' is a somewhat tongue-in-cheek rewrite of 'Jane Eyre' and in many places was almost a recount of the original.

For those of you who haven't read the 'Jane Eyre'. In a quick nutshell, it is the story of orphan Jane who goes to live with her aunt and cousins, the Reeds, a selfish and unkind family who treat her with disdain. Eventually, Mrs. Reed sends Jane to boarding school and she enters into the cruel and barren world of Lockwood Institution. Much of Jane's early life is about suffering and endurance. At eighteen she escapes and finds employment working as a governess for the taciturn, but oddly charismatic Mr. Rochester, with whom she falls in love. However, the course of love does not run smooth and this is a gothic tale with a dark secret. Jane is a tough and beautifully humble woman who more than deserves her happy ending.

This version, of course has some very notable changes. The Reeds are vampires, Lockwood is overrun with Zombies and Rochester's wife is a werewolf. All written in with a sense of fun and a nice amount of delightful ghoulishness.

The author has kept very true to the original text. So much so in fact that I had to pull out my copy of 'Jane Eyre' to compare some passages. The only thing I really noticed is that there have been a few changes to make it more readable for a modern audience. For example:

Original:
"You are afraid of me, because I talk like a Sphynx."

'Jane Slayre' edition:
"Are you afraid of me?" he asked, his brow arching. "You think me a monster?"

As you can see the affect is cleverly, very subtle.

There are some genuinely amusing moments. The vision of Jane out for a quiet evenings stroll where she whips a stake out from beneath her skirts to slay an unbeknownst vampire did make me chuckle.

The book has been written with obvious deep affection for the classic. But, maybe I'm a purist, but part of me would hate for people to read this version instead, or least before they pick up the original.

'Jane Eyre' is magical and wonderfully dark in its own right. But the darkness in the original is born of human behaviour which in many aspects is more cruel than the acts of the undead.

VERDICT:

This is a well written fun rewrite that will entertain horror fans. If you're a fan of the other mash ups then I don't think you'll be disappointed. It just wasn't quite my thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jane Slayer, 2 Jan. 2013
Tashia Colluney "EternalsBlissy" (Nottingham, England, UK) - See all my reviews
I am not really into horror type books so when I bought this book, I did so with a lot of trepidation. The book followed well with the original writing but with such a wonderful and interesting twist. I highly recommend to those of us who love the classics and would love to evolve them into something more. I even had a few laugh out loud moments!! I will be reading more from Sherri Browning Erwin. I see a very bright future ahead for her!! Well worth the buy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars give it a try., 21 Mar. 2015
T. Giles (Kings Langley) - See all my reviews
Awesome. Beautifully written. A fabulous story, well worth a read. Lovely language and typical of era, I would read the original just to get a contrast.

1.0 out of 5 stars Jane Slayre, 30 Mar. 2011
I didn't like this spin on Jane Eyre at all. It was a speed read and I couldn't wait to get to the end so I could throw it away.

I will not be reading any zombie, vampire books at all in the future.

Jane Slayre: The Literary Classic with a Bloodsucking Twist
Jane Slayre: The Literary Classic with a Bloodsucking Twist by Sherri Browning Erwin (Paperback - 29 April 2010)