Published 4 months ago by Mrs. P. Clements

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT QUITE SO GOOD...
Published 2 months ago by Rod H

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT QUITE SO GOOD..., 8 May 2014
Rod H (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Feel Good: How to Change Your Mood and Cope with Whatever Comes Your Way (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have read quite a few self-help books, as usually they are full of common sense and can provide something that is of help. However, I must admit that I found this one hard-going. The general advice is pretty sound- though not groundbreaking, but I found the way it was written was a bit 'text-book' for my taste. As a result, I found my attention drifting as I read through each chapter (perhaps I need a self-help book on concentration?)
The book tries to create a balance between mood and science, which is not bad in itself, but when reading this type of book i like it to sound 'chatty' rather than preachy. I suppose these books are what you make of them, and some might like this particular one - but I have read better....

2.0 out of 5 stars vaguely engaging....., 12 April 2014
J. DOUGLAS "Johnny Douglas" (Nr London, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The construct of this book was promising, but in reality the substance of this was really lacking.

The content for each of the well framed chapters, just wasn't there. There was the desire to offer a combination of psychology and science which is both accessible and practical. The anger chapter was laughably light of real helps for many I serve who face this crippling emotion. The offer strategies were very weak and situationally unrealistic, as I had hoped for so much more.......

So, not feeling so good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel Good: How to change your mood and cope with whatever comes your way, 31 Mar 2014
Mrs. P. Clements "bibliophilly" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When you are down it is not always easy to rise above it but this book has some really effective ways of achieving that. We all get low days as well as highs and the secret is to deal with the miseries before they deal with you. Pascoe and Law have delved deeply into all aspects of moods and offer some excellent answers to coping and changing before it becomes a real problem. Even if a reader is not fond of books this is so pleasantly and clearly put together that it is easy to dip into or refer back to.

3.0 out of 5 stars I suffer from SADS, so I thought that this might help. It's waaaaay too preachy., 19 Mar 2014
ROROBLU'S MUM "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I've had counselling in the past to deal with anxiety and have used CBT with a counselor and have made this part of my life - anxiety can be controlled and worked at, but it's often not going to entirely go away. I always feel especially low between Xmas and April, so I thought that I'd try this book out to see if it offered other practical tips and help, especially as I'm learning to live with diabetes and some small issues with guilt over eating and exercising, as well as with stress of an ever-changing work environment, where it's give, give, give on my part.

The book does make a lot of sense, but it's a bit 'full of itself' and comes across as very preachy. The post-its that the other reviewer found helpful, I found annoying and time-consuming. Yes, the book was full of logic, but it was overly-wordy and at times almost read like a book covering law, with the many examples of various situations that illustrated various mindsets and studies/cases. I was looking for more practicality and clarity and understanding of when/why/how in terms of how I'm feeling and what I can do to get myself out of my funk - which I didn't get.

What this did do is make me realise that CBT is definitely for me, and that perhaps I've fallen off the wagon a little and need to re-focus. It's also made me realise that the Dr Jen Nash book that I have that deals with the mental impact of diabetes, is more suited to me personally, as it's a combo of practical advice for diabetics and basic CBT. I'm off to re-read that one.

5.0 out of 5 stars great practical guide to feeling good, 20 Feb 2014
A unique combination of psychology and science which is both accessible and practical. Post it notes are invaluable,as are exercises. A useful guide for social workers....I found.myself revisiting some of.my experiences and techniques and identifying the philosophies which.underpinned.my work.

Sue Woodcock. ( retired social work manager )

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful self-help book, 27 Jun 2014
B. Towns (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you are looking for hints, tips and techniques to deal with moods and want some immediately implementable strategies, then this could be a book worth looking at.

Whilst I didn't find anything brand, spanking new here, the book is a useful compilation of ideas covering a wide range of common human experiences - anger, frustration, distress etc and offers ideas for dealing with these emotions as they arise.

4 Stars because there isn't anything I haven't found in previous publications on these topics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful Self-Help, 19 Jun 2014
G. J. Oxley "Gaz" (Tyne & Wear, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It seems that almost every day now we're bombarded with stressful situations. God knows how the generations, like myself brought up after World War II, could have coped with the conflict millions had to live through. We've become a world full of namby-pambies!

Anyway, let's not dwell in the past; the world is a different place now.This is yet another book advising us how to deal with life's ups and downs and emerge on the other side with a smile on our face.

Useful advice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not in the mood., 19 Jun 2014
Flickering Ember "I need a break and I wanna ... (Once Upon A Long Ago.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I felt the approach of this book was inconsistent and it didn't engage me as a reader. I didn't find any useful or encouraging content and I wouldn't recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, 15 May 2014
A. Woods (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book has a lot of helpful tips for coping with life. It is a bit clinical in places as it is written in a scientific way. However, this makes you try some of the suggestions as they are based on experience. A lot is common sense but needs pointing out. Good overall.

3.0 out of 5 stars Felt hard to get into, 12 May 2014
Mr. Robert Kelly "robert_kelly" (London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I admit it, I suffer from mood swings and can occasionally feel down for days on end. I understand therefore how important mood management can be in terms, both in terms of coping with the things life throws at you, but also in being able to work to achieve your goals.

This book promised much, but I found it relatively hard going in terms of the content, which I found rather unengaging and advice which though I felt was genuinely helpful, none of which felt like a revelation. For a relatively thin book it did seem to take me a rather long time to actually get through it, and whilst I'm certain that there is much to be commended in here, I do think it could be presented better and in a more entertaining manner.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›