Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 April 2013
Jamie Smart informs us that Innate Thinking®, which he apparently credits himself for discovering, is a "new paradigm" in the Kuhnian sense that will revolutionize everything in psychology. In fact he compares it to be as important and as true as the theory of gravity and germ theory. Such is the self-righteous drivel scattered about his book.

He also refers to THOUGHT in capital letters every time he mentions it, as well as CONSCIOUSNESS and MIND. Oh, and Innate Thinking® isn't the only term he made up which he feels compelled to include a registered symbol or a trademark (TM) after.

At the end of every chapter is a plea to go online and comment on different pages on his website.

The material's alright, even though Jamie is completely arrogant (he calls everything else in self-help a delusion, while praising his own approach on basically every page), he seems to be entirely oblivious to the fact that most, if not all of the principles he divulges in 'Clarity' have been understood for centuries. A lot of what he describes is simply understood by people practicing mindfulness, for example, or Buddhists, or so many other people. It's been around in more recent forms according to a previous reviewer as being "The Three Principles, first described by Sydney Banks and developed by Jack Pransky, added some concepts of his own, registered his 'Innate Thinking' as a trade mark and packaged it up as a corporate and professional development tool. It will probably make him a lot of money and good luck to him".

So what is Innate Thinking®?

Basically, it's the most wishy-washy definition you can imagine.

It's hard to put his enormously vague definition of Innate Thinking® (is that registered symbol annoying you yet? if so don't read the book) into one sentence, but here is my attempt:

Everything good (clarity, wisdom, insight, confidence, happiness, peace, good decision making, security, kindness and every other positive adjective in the dictionary) is our default settings and everything bad is not our default settings, but some strange alien thing caused by believing our clarity / wisdom / insight / confidence / happiness / any other positive adjective comes from anything other than ourselves.

LITERALLY that is pretty much all that is in the book. Ok, you could extend it by a few sentences, but that is IT. The rest is padding. There are NO practical exercises and NOTHING that you can 'do', just loads and loads of metaphors and explanations of his ideas.

By the way, there are absolutely no scientific sources for any of this (I can't remember but maybe one or two studies cited which are then stretched to being 'proof' of the whole book; I just remember being extremely underwhelmed evidence-wise). He hasn't really backed anything up at all.

Now for the positive: he is a good writer and the metaphors he uses are fantastic in explaining the concepts he explains. But I would avoid this pretentious nonsense if I were you.
66 comments|148 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am a serial entrepreneur, a University lecturer in Russia, Italy and the USA in Business Economics and International Law and am an international business and peak performance consultant. As such, I have read a plethora of business, motivational, peak performance, coaching, team building psychology type of books over 22 years. In fact I have enough books at home, on these subjects, to sink several ships. I therefore have read many books looking at what makes great entrepreneurs and how the best motivate employees. I therefore have used both my real life business experience and theoretical knowledge to review this book.

If you are thinking about buying this book and have read any of the 1000's of books on success, motivation, confidence, popular psychology, human performance etc, then much of what is in this book is not new. The main idea of this book, is that you have to change your mental thoughts, before your world changes. Earl Nightingale in the Strangest Secret taught us that idea. Whatever you focus on, you get more of in your life. Want to change your life? Change your focus. I am sorry but there is nothing new in this idea. What I did like was the detail this book goes into on how and why we create our own mental "filters" and how it affects our lives. This analysis is good. The next step is how do you change old thinking patterns and these potentially destructive filters? This is where the book becomes weaker, as there is no concrete plan of action you can use to change these areas. What the author suggests is to "go within". Great fantastic, but if you are in a stuck state and have deficient filter systems, you may find this difficult to do this. What is even harder, if you are in a stuck state, is to then change these filters and there is very little concrete analysis to tell you how. I am sorry but the key to change is to understand what is stopping you and then do something about it. Telling you what is wrong and then leaving you in the midst's of "Go Within" is not that helpful. Can I recommend the following books if you really want to understand how to change what is within. Psychocybernetics by Maxwell Maltz and another by Bobbie Summer, The Hoffman Process and Whats Stopping You, all are far better books for personal change, than this fluffy book.

There are parts of this book that are very informative and good. Where it is weak is in the how to change the thoughts that are holding you back. Personally I would buy one of the books I have listed if you want to experience real and deep change.
on 21 August 2013
My main gripe is that I'm not getting what I paid for. The book seems to rely on links to video clips on the website - but you have to 'like' the website links in order to release the second video for each section. I want to be able to read books like this without broadcasting the fact to the world. I want what I've paid for with no strings attached.
on 30 May 2013
This book is the most shameless piece of plagiarism and self-promotion I think I've ever read. The author appears to have exhausted his endeavours in the NLP market then discovered the work of Daniel H. Pink and Eckhart Tolle before cobbling together what he calls a new paradigm. At least the aforementioned authors had the good grace to cite their many influences. This work is full of bold statements and metaphors and very little else of practical use. Big on description but very light on prescription. The author is more interested in creating an online community and appropriating this "New Paradigm" as of his own making (as another reviewer mentioned, he has even had the gall to trademark it). It's noteworthy that the author thanks his publisher at the end of the book for getting it out so quickly. I bet they did. The result is a vague catch-all piece of sheer opportunism that will likely claim any future genuine innovations by others in the field into the author's very accommodating model. Ka-ching goes that cash register...If you want to explore present moment awareness and the nature of thought/consciousness check out Eckhart Tolle's brilliant "Power of Now". And for a truly inspiring introduction to an emergent New Paradigm take a look at the work of Daniel H. Pink (who takes no personal credit and makes some excellent recommendations for further reading).
on 14 April 2013
The book jacket - and the Amazon page - are full of gushing praise for this book, so I thought I must be missing something. However if you look behind the pen-names you can find most of the reviewers are life-coaches, consultants or Jamie's happy customers. Very few business references.
My opinion? A lot of words to dress up an interesting observation, however almost no recommendations for how to apply this observation. I tried hard, and got 2/3 of the way through waiting for the moment of clarity before finally realising that the book was not going to tell me anything of practical use.
I finally reached the conclusion that the whole purpose of the book is to flog Jamie's consulting service.
44 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 May 2013
This book is best used as expensive toilet paper to caress one's derrière. Save your money. There are enough narcissistic charlatans out there already. If my bookshelf had a spam shelf then this book would be on it.
on 22 April 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
For my review, here are the reasons why I am giving this book only one star. The author claims that, unlike most self-help books, this particular book won't tell you what to do or how to do it but will give you the fundamental insight you need to change your thinking and, therefore, change your life. Well, the book certainly does deliver on the first part of the promise: it never tells you what to do or how to do it in order to change your life.

Now, for the second part of the promise. While the author trademarked his so called unique insight as Innate Thinking, I will tell you this: it doesn't matter what terminology he uses, his so called insight or Innate Thinking is certainly nothing new. Most recent books on positive psychology effectively talk about the same thing with one crucial difference: most other self-help authors at least attempt to give you a set of guiding principles as to how you can get to your core state of clear, unclouded and peaceful mind. And if Jamie Smart seriously believes that nobody else has covered the idea that our reality is a product of our thinking, then he is seriously deluded and should have at least tried to familiarise himself with what already exists before he decided to reinvent the wheel.

Undoubtedly, this book will work for some people. Just like religion works for some: certain people can accept that God is at the centre of it all and is responsible for our peace of mind, wellbeing or the opposite while others need to challenge the concept and can't accept it unless it makes total logical sense to them. Neither of those groups is wrong. It's just how people's minds work. If you are the latter, logic and outcome driven type, this book will not work for you because it's full of contradictions that lack clarity to such an extent that Jamie Smart gets lost in his own drivel half the time. Here is one example: at one point, he talks about fear of flying. Consistent with the central principle of the book (it's all in your head), he says the fear isn't really there because if it was, you would still be afraid once you are sitting on a plane and the plane is flying. He believes that most people, who have fear of flying, are, however, afraid only before the flight but can tolerate it quite peacefully once flying. According to him, same applies to nervousness before interviews and all similar situations. This means that none of it is real and all of it is in our minds 100% of the time. And this is the biggest nonsense I've ever read in my life. Why? Because the majority of people, who have fears, phobias, nervousness and worries about anything, still feel them while the experience that brings those feelings on is happening. For example, take job interviews. Most people, who have been through one, will know that pre-interview nerves typically stay with them for the duration of interviews. And while, evidently, it doesn't kill most of them, nobody can say that as soon as they walked into the interview room, they felt calm and relaxed and everything was great!

In my humble opinion, some nervousness, fears, insecurities etc are all part of human nature. These things make us who we are and make us more interesting. No amount of clarity can totally eliminate them. All those things only become a problem when they incapacitate a person so much that s/he becomes unable to live and experience life fully. When this becomes the case, those with the problem need to seek help of a professional who is qualified to assist. This brings me back to the book. Jamie Smart outright dismisses the necessity of doing anything to deal with any issues, regardless of what they may be because it's all in your head. As long as you realise this and stop thinking what you shouldn't be thinking, you will be fine and everything will be great in your life.

Interestingly, the one thing that he is pushing throughout the book is the QR codes that will help you link to his website, where you can find out how you can pay for his workshops, coaching and his time at various events. You will have one of those codes at the end of each chapter; it's usually masked as a summary and an opportunity to connect with other readers of the book. For some reason, despite his claims that you don't need to do anything to achieve this unique insight, that will clear everything up for you, he does say that connecting with other readers by going on his website will help you externalise your thinking which is important to achieve the right outcomes.

Now the question is why do I need to externalise my thinking when, on every page, the same guy tells me how important it is to understand that it's our Innate Thinking that creates our reality, not external events???

I would absolutely love to challenge Jamie Smart to get a 1000 people, who live in an Indian slum or a starving village of Ethiopia and get 800 (80%) of them to achieve a significant tangible improvement in their lives by merely getting them to read his book. I assume they don't need his workshops or coaching because he doesn't need to tell them HOW to achieve anything. He merely needs to tell them that it's all in their heads, and all their minds will clear up and drive higher performance and better lives.

That's fundamentally what the whole book is about. Once you understand his insight, your mind will become so clear, it will be like the "Eureka!" moment.

All in all, my suggestion is this: if you are the sort of person, who can accept what they are told most of the time without challenging anything, this book may work for you. If you are the person who questions everything until it makes sense for you, I really wouldn't waste my money and time on this. Seek your answers elsewhere.

I guess I am the latter... Hence, one star.
88 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 24 August 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A good opportunity squandered by crass marketing and self-promotion. It may very well be a question of sensibilities, but I found Smart's style and deliberate tie in with his consulting services to be, at best distracting and, at worse, I just struggled to find him credible. No depth, strangled logic and little constructive advice to be drawn from the page. There are better books out there and I would encourage anyone considering this book to have a look at Dan H Pink and the authors cited by the other reviewers first.
on 18 April 2013
If you are new to areas of thinking like the 'Three Principles', the 'Power of Now', 'Buddhism', 'Mindfulness', etc, this book will provide a new and interesting perspective. For others who have read various teachings and philosophies, this book serves as a reminder of some key concepts. Whilst the book is easy and engaging, I agree with several other reviewers, that there is little practical advice. As you progress through the book, there is a strong supsicion that one of the aims of the book is to get people to undertake the author's personal coaching programme (at cost!).

So, although this is interesting, it is not new and lacks in tools to equip someone to change their life and improve it through clarity.
on 20 April 2013
I felt while reading this book that the author had read 'The power of now' and thought how can I rewrite and remarket these ideas to create a bestseller. The presentation is all very slick and the metaphors very current (as Simin Cowell would say) but the whole thing just smacked of a cynical self help business marketing campaign. The author has trademarked the phrase Inate Thinking and everytime that expression is used in the book it has a little TM above it. Christ almighty!.... periodically you are invited to pause for a moment and chat to your friends on the internet about what you have just read. .... please.!

Although it attempted to repackage some wise concepts it fails to convey them because you just couldnt take the author seriously. Like many of these books it keeps promising to reveal something to you but fails to ever deliver it.

A book written by someone who I imagine is an expert at powerpoint and remembering little tips like...tell them what you are going to tell them, tell them, and tell em what you told em. But ultimately lacking any depth or genuinely useful, practical ideas that can help people in their life.

Definitely not the real deal in my opinion.