Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 December 2013
Definitely a Christmas present for anyone you know starting a business, but plenty in here too for those marketers who have to get their hands dirty doing real marketing, PR and social media.

Particularly useful for partners, consultants and other professionals who have to market their practice in addition to their day job.

The 15 Essential Marketing Masterclasses for Your Small Business, promoted by the Chartered Institute of Marketing is primarily aimed at small businesses but, quite frankly, should be compulsory reading for many of the people involved in marketing businesses of all sizes too.

It is really a "how to market your small business", with chapters starting with the marketing plan, and then ranging through practical aspects as "copy that sells"; "how to get PR"; the importance of direct mail; "how to cold call" and "how to build your expert status".

Elements that make the book highly commendable include:

- Everything is explained clearly in jargon-free plain English (none of that "brand architecture" or other dreadful marketing-speak in it);

- It covers a broad area. While this does mean each area is not covered in huge depth, quite frankly this is a bonus since many "in-depth" books often have lots of tedious padding. In each chapter there is certainly enough to get you up to a competent speed;

- It is full of good and experience-based practical advice that applies to businesses of all sizes.

The Twitter chapter is a good example. While you can get whole books on the subject if you really want to go into it, simply reading Chapter 15 will allow you to quickly figure out whether you should even bother with it (and for many B2B businesses they shouldn't!) and then get on and do it. All those businesses Tweeting dull corporate announcements would benefit from this chapter!
on 29 November 2013
I purchased Dee's second book The Ultimate Small Business Marketing Book last year, it helped give our business an edge on our competition locally.

Knowing Dee's accessible style of writing and the no-nonsense nuggets I couldn't wait to get hold of The 15 Essential Marketing Masterclasses.

What you're getting is not just a book, but a blue print as to how Dee approaches her work with her clients. You're getting an experienced marketer at a fraction of the price!! It's a 'no brainer' if you're running a small business and need to not just reach out to new clients but look after you're existing ones.

As a printer, I was delighted to see a whole masterclass on Direct Mail - a great endorsement that clients still welcome the printed word. As an 'old school' (i'm sure Dee won't mind me using that term!!) marketer the book joins up digital marketing with tried and tested 'old school' marketing techniques, making sense of bringing your online and offline marketing together.

I particularly liked the Masterclass on taking the chill out of cold calling - like most people it's not something I enjoy, but this has made it a little more palatable.

Just like her last book, i'll be ordering extra copies to give out to new clients.

Why?

Because I wish someone had given me a book like this when I started out.
on 18 November 2013
I saw Dee speak at the Pro Copywriters Network Conference in October 2013 and she was superb. She's an engaging, informative and friendly speaker - and because she dictates all her writing, I suspected her books would be equally as enjoyable. 15 Essential Marketing Masterclasses didn't disappoint. It's great - very easy to read and understand.

I'm a copywriter, so I do have an understanding of marketing strategy - but it always seemed like too big a task to actually sit down and do. However, Dee's book breaks everything down into bite-sized pieces and makes it all seem much more manageable. I've started writing my marketing plan, and have scheduled time every few weeks to review and refine it.

There's advice for people who don't write for a living, which is very useful. The chapter on PR is great. And there are plenty of strategies for small businesses and entrepreneurs to pick up and run with.

It's a brilliant book for small businesses and the self-employed, because Dee makes everything seem non-threatening and eminently do-able. You can dip in and out of it as and when you need specific advice - or sail through the whole thing (which is what I'm doing) then come back to it when you need to.

Highly recommended.
on 23 September 2013
If you have a small business buy this book. I've waited the best part of 12 months for it's release and it was worth it. The author's previous publication was lent to me not long after starting my business and enabled me to secure some great publicity and attract new customers.

Since this book arrived at the beginning of the week I've already dipped into a few chapters and put the advice into practice. All the examples and principles can be taken and with a little thought applied to most types of business.
on 20 October 2013
To be transparent I know Dee but seldom buy business books. Many are re-hashes with too much theory compounded by an Americanized slant. In midst of re-branding 'myself' I needed a marketing focus, so it was irresistible...

Each Master-class is highly relevant, packed with information, delivered simply, summarized with action plans. No science/jargon, only practical advice that's do-able. This means business owners don't need to be rocket scientists. Dee also harnesses other masters of disciplines - people she has worked with to get better results. Each section is backed with real case studies from her clients who can be cross-checked. There are excellent resources (generously shared) to further help get traction without wasting time/money. Dee's not a "fluffy marketer" but engages with sales/business development disciplines, softening processes to create more opportunity to sell effectively.

An important book. Published by a 'leading' house. Crucially CIM (Chartered Institute Marketing) branded. Likely to remain the bench-mark resource for SME's. Buy it - top value!
on 21 October 2013
I first heard of Dee when I brought her second book "the ultimate small business marketing book" which I brought due to it being an amazon best seller.

The thing I like about Dee is her style of writing, its so easy to understand and follow, I was genuinely fed up of boring, lifeless marketing books that were all theory based and with Dee she makes the theory fun and provides lots of real life examples and lots of templates you can use yourself.

I didn't think Dee's second book could ever be topped, but I find this third book just as useful and business changing as the second.

If you run your own business and just dived straight into selling without thinking up a marketing plan and getting a full understanding of who your market is then you need this book. Its full of great practical advice and importantly its very easy to understand as always.

Marketing has never been easy or fun for me but with this book it's like having my own little marketing angel in my ear.
on 29 April 2014
This is the second book I have purcahsed by author Dee Blick and it was as informative and helpful as the first. I intend to launch my first small business in July this year and without this book I would definitely be at a loss for how to achieve the most out of my marketing plan.

This book is essential reading, in my opinion, for all business owners and the simple but effective explainations mean this book can be used by anyone. Coupled with her first book, The 15 Essential Marketing Masterclasses is a formidable tool when developing your marketing plan; yet there is an abundance of useful tips and information to allow it to be used in its own right.

Not only are her books by far the most useful I have read since I got her first book, I have also had the pleasure of speaking with Dee and she is honest, knowledgable and very approachable, all adding to her crediblity and her expert status. I would highly recommend not only this book, but all her books.
on 17 October 2013
Being a big fan of Dee's books I was really looking forward to receiving The 15 Essential Marketing Masterclasses For Your Small Business. Being a small business owner who does his own marketing, I found the information in the book really important in guiding me on the right path to new clients and showing me where I had been going wrong with my approaches to marketing so far.

The book is really easy to read and set out in logical easy to follow sections, I find I can dip in and out of it when I need to, a bit like having Dee on the end of the phone for a quick chat when i'm stuck!

I found the sections on discovering and reaching your target market, writing successful adverts, direct mail, telephone calls and emails, social media like Twitter all really helpful and I am already seeing some good results from using Dee's methods.

I'm really happy with this purchase and have no hesitation in recommending it.
on 12 December 2013
Each of the Masterclasses covers a vital aspect of marketing for the modern, small business and the business owner is guided logically from planning a multifaceted marketing strategy through to its implementation. While the final chapters embrace all-important social media, there is no sense of "out with the old and in with the new" as the traditional skills of writing copy and making cold calls are given equal importance.

However, the way in which it is written is what differentiates this book for me. The messages are delivered in plain language and with humour. If you have attended one of Dee Blick's presentations, you can hear her voice in the pages as they reflect her enthusiasm for what small businesses can achieve.

I use this book in my own business and have recommended it to my clients. Having read the whole book, I now dip in and out when I need a quick refresher or to refine my objectives.
on 2 January 2014
There are some authors who write for themselves and their own enjoyment and others who write with the sole intention of helping others by sharing their knowledge. Dee Blick is definitely in the latter category. She certainly has plenty to share. There are few authors who have such an in depth knowledge of their subject linked with the ability to convey it is simple and easy to understand terms. No jargon here but plenty of plain common sense which has been forged in the heat of battle in the real world, not just in the theory of a classroom.
I can heartily recommend Dees new book "The 15 Essential Marketing Masterclasses for your small business" I guarantee that any small business putting even a fraction of its good advice into action will not be a small business for long - but a fast growing one.

Chris Day - AuthorCraft