on 20 November 2013
An inspiring and practical read. I listened to most of this audiobook during a twelve-hour drive from Harare, Zimbabwe to Blantyre, Malawi.

My notes:

Daniel Priestley talks about how we all have an empire building brain, however, the empire brain can be shut down if the lower parts of the brain (reptile or monkey) are over stimulated. The reptile sees resources as very scarce so it's extremely selfish, guarded and doesn't want to share; it only sees what is there; it's very low in imagination. The monkey is good at repetitive work but is very easily distracted. The empire builder is empathic, creative, strategic, resourceful.

As one of his 10 challenges, he recommends walking around with GBP1,000 in cash at all times to adjust your views on what is a lot of money, to learn a degree of self-control and I suppose to discover other fears and emotions that go with carrying what most of us would consider to be a fairly hefty, even unsafe, amount of cash.

Take two people you want to get to know better out to lunch every week.

Cut news out. Keep a journal.

Always have 5 people on your team:
1. A visionary
2. A sales person
3. A graphics person
4. A Swiss Army knife (i.e. a jack of all trades)
5. A mentor

Lean in! i.e. go for it, network aggressively, seek opportunities, visualise and believe in the vision!

Formula for success: luck, reputation and vitality

Ascending Transaction Model - ATM:
- Gifts
- Products for prospects
- Core products
- Logical next steps (charge a few thousand for these)

7 Maxims
1. You get what you pitch for and you are always pitching
2. Influence comes from output NOT confidence
3. Income follows assets (this has been ringing in my head almost daily since I read the book)
4. Get known by the success of your clients
5. You're in partnership with everyone that touches your business
6. Ideas are worthless - implementation is everything
7. Being imaginative is NOT being creative

I recommend you read this book for practical steps that will push your vision/business forward. A must read.
22 comments|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 November 2015
I am an avid reader of business books as I have seen how they can change your course. So I was delighted to come across this book. What I loved most about it, is the very practical steps you can take RIGHT NOW to make a difference in your business.
The book covers some very important basics as well, that it is easy to think you've got right. Daniel really encourages you to get these foundation basics right, from the beginning. And it doesn't take long to read at all!
I have already started making a list of the topics I can write about, and have set a goal of when, how many and where to publish them. I am also starting a blog. Basics we all should know and be doing - but don't know how important until somebody like Daniel puts it into perspective.
If you are starting a business now, or want to make the leap from a job to your own business, this book is for you - read it urgently!
on 22 May 2014
This book, which I have now read 3 or 4 times has had a very deep effect on me. It is the most inspirational and motivational book I have ever read and as such felt compelled to write a review to urge you to purchase it.

If you are anything like me you will have the following feelings:
- urges to 'do your own thing'
- Hate answering to a person
- Get frustrated with having to work based on time schedules
- feel like a caged animal
- Feel like that there should be something else that you should be doing
- Have tried self employment various times
- Live for the weekend
- Can't wait until you retire so you can do all those fun things

and so on...

After my second failed attempt at trying to run my own business, a friend recommended The Entrepreneur Revolution. Suddenly all those feelings I've had, my previous failed attempts at starting a business, all made sense. I had been approaching my whole life and work the wrong way.
I can't stress how satisfying it is to be able to understand why things don't work and more importantly what to do to fix it. This book has taught me all of these things and more.

I apologise if I'm being ridiculously gushing about this book but I honestly think that this book is a blueprint to how you should try and live your life let alone become a succesful business person.

I have already started implementing many of the advice and strategies laid out in this book and things are starting to go from strength to strength. I'm not saying that this book will miraculously turn you into a business god, that is down to you, but it will give you the strategies that you need to implement to get you there.

Good luck
Eddy
on 6 February 2016
As a University Student I feel really appealed by this book and here is why.
While growing up I've always learned that it is important to get the best scores at school and be the top of the class. But even by getting scores that topped my parents expectations I never felt satisfied. I thought really hard and long about what I really wanted and I realized that I don't want to be stuck in an office from 8 to 5, come home to just sit in front of my television or computer trying to entertain myself with the latest viral videos. That's why I decided to buy a book written by a person that believed that change was possible because I wasn't raised with it, my parents are people with boring jobs which they hate and I hear their depressing stories every day but still they expect that sometime they will get rewarded for their hard work. Daniel Priestley has opened my eyes to the truth and this truth is that a different live is possible, a life in which you can do what you love day in, day out without wanting to ever stop because it's your passion. I learned a lot about what I really wanted in life because of this book and that's why I give it the best rating, this book thought me more in 200 pages than the 5000 pages I've learned at school. If anything else I would just like to add that I would love meeting him to talk about his experience because he seems like a really nice guy.
on 25 February 2016
As a freelancer who is going to create proper business within 12 months I find this book incredibly useful. Apart from clearly explaning us the difference between industrial and enterpreneurial revolution and your choices as a human within these backgrounds, Daniel is also taking to the future. What future is ahead of us and how all of us can help to make the difference.
You are given tuns of tips, dos and donts while reading, that you can apply straightaway. I mean literally-in next few seconds.
It's true I get a little bit overhelmed by all the useful information somewhere in the middle of the book but until the end everything nicely fits together and the whole picture becomes very clear.
There are two more things I highly appreciate as they're not so usual in books. First, at the end you can read through case studies Daniel worked on (truly inspiring) and second, you feel Daniel's authenticity and passion from the book. And that makes you to read the book in one breath.
After this experience I immediately purchased his KPI book and after finishing it in couple of hours, Oversubscribed is next in the row.
on 28 December 2013
After having read Key Person of Influence and been to one of Daniel's events, I bought this book as a Christmas present for my nephew in Hamburg who is in his last year of University and currently considering the corporate career ladder. After he had read just the first two chapters it already sparked a good discussion between us about how the world of entrepreneurship is a far more promising route for him to take. However, I then started to read the book myself and finished it in two days while I was in Germany, so he has yet to have the chance to read it again!

With the UK government recently announcing that 500,000 businesses were started last year, the Entrepreneur Revolution concisely and eloquently explores this trend and gives people some really important advice as they choose the world of self-employment and the satisfaction that you get from building your own business(es). Having only left the corporate world and employeedom behind a year ago, I find books like these to also be a great source of inspiration which help me be in absolutely no doubt that I am far better off now than I was beforehand.
on 7 September 2013
I thought this book was going to be a bit naff because of the cover, but it turned out to be a brilliant read. Clear and concise, it lays the foundations for transforming your thinking around what's possible for creating a more stimulating existence for yourself.

For people who are not natural entrepreneurs, such as myself, but who have that entrepreneurial itch, this book is particularly important as it gives easy to understand and tangible guidance on how to shift your thinking and your actions out of the conventional way of making money into a more fluid, innovative and exciting paradigm. Among many, one of my big takeaways was the author's ATM (Ascending Transaction Model), an elegant system for delivering your services and products and giving them a context in the bigger picture of where you want your business to go. Another takeaway was the reminder of just how fun it can be to productise and package what you love about life so that other people can enjoy it too.
on 19 July 2014
I love this book and athlough I'm not much of a reader I finished it just 3 days. I did his tasks and I can safely say it has completely changed my mindset! Great book for the entrepanuer
on 10 September 2014
This was one of the most readable business books I have ever picked up. If you run your own business or are considering it then buy this book. It inspired me to make some huge changes in my business, and completely changes my mindset about how a real entrepreneur should behave. Having the correct mindset to start a business is absolutely crucial and Daniel does a fantastic job of drawing this out of you.
on 25 June 2014
I've read countless books on this subject but this is definitely one of the best. I read the book in one day and found it inspirational as well as informative.