on 27 April 2015
This book provided a different angle on building a company and a product to other books I have read. I am seeing a convergence of ideas from different people and places, this book is a very motivating and business focused book with good ideas about building personal brand and the importance of turning IP into products.

Key take away's for me (your mileage may vary of course)

"Lean in", as a snowboarder I know what he means, as a person I was reminded of those times when things click - they are always when you focus, commit to a course of action and "lean in". This to me has echoes of some of the messaging of Dave Farley & Jez Humbles Continuous Delivery "If something is hard do it all the time" - Hard then becomes routine and you can step up a gear.

The importance of personal brand - This is a trend you need to be aware of even if you are an employee I have been becoming increasingly aware of it in my industry.

The Ascending Transaction Model - This has some similarities to the Lean Startup model but illustrates the ongoing need for different levels of product.

Overall a great read and some good exercises that will be putting me outside of my comfort zone in the weeks ahead for sure. Highly recommended check out some of Daniels online videos as well.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Daniel Priestley walks his talk, I enjoyed his first book titled 'Key Person of Influence'and this follow up Entrepreneur Revolution is packed full of 'how to' ideas and suggestions. I particularly liked his description of how the brain works. (see my blog)
The book will challenge the way you look at employment and gives you powerful ideas and step by step actions to take in order to become an Entrepreneur.
His training events and courses are packed full of value and in order to decide if you want to take his teachings further his company provide a discovery session, the proceeds from which go to charity. I attended his KPI event on 14th June 2013 in the UK and wrote about the event and this Entrepreneur Revolution book on my blog here: http://www.workstresstosuccess.com/key-person-of-influence-daniel-priestley/

I have watched Daniel's career evolve over the last 5 years and observed his kindness and patience with people. Daniel is an unassuming, lovely person.

I have a tremendous respect for his approach and business acumen. He is someone you can trust.

Daniel himself is a Key Person of Influence and in my opinion is someone worth being influenced by.
on 22 January 2015
We discussed this book at the CSNET book club with the author and this is my personal opinion. ..

Do not expect hard evidence to be presented and analysed by Daniel. Whilst he briefly skims through some trends and events to justify his thesis, this is really a distillation and formularizing of his personal business experiences to date, so we should heed them These have combined a love of the what, how and why of business with generating significant revenues from them. Well written and illustrated.

For me, in particular, his ATM process resonated strongly, capturing in a more rounded context other wisdom on the email marketing of digital products.

What is missing is a health warning. Success in entrepreneurship is very hard, however you define it. The blood, sweat and tears needed to be out-poured to progress from establishing a single person operation to anything more substantial is missing.

So he is right to ask us to search for the "new" ingredient that he hints at throughout the book to increase the risk of being successful!

A very good read and a refreshing addition to the HBS and other weighty tomes on my shelves. What's more, we are implementing much of his advice in our own business at Meggitt Bird LLP.
review image
on 16 February 2014
I bought this book for one reason -- the reviews, and it certainly didn't disappoint. Daniel speaks from a wealth of experience despite his young age, as someone who has tried and tested every tip many times over.

He covers many areas, but the focus is always on the building blocks of great 'global small businesses', or GSB'S, as Daniel puts it. He writes about the essentials and the glue that holds them all together. He sheds light on our basic decision making abilities and why most businesses never really hit that sweet spot: doing what you love, are good at and getting rewarded generously for it.

One of the things I appreciate most is that he doesn't include any content to pad the book out, he makes his point and then moves on, making it a very easy read. The other thing I really appreciate is the quality of the book itself. It is well designed and we'll built, an example of what a good book should be, which only goes to show that Daniel doesn't just write about his ideas, he puts them into practice.

This book has already provided a lot of value to me, I'll certainly be rereading to glean some more.

If you have any ambition to move into a new level of the entrepreneur revolution, check this book out.
on 28 December 2013
After having read Key Person of Influence and been to one of Daniel's events, I bought this book as a Christmas present for my nephew in Hamburg who is in his last year of University and currently considering the corporate career ladder. After he had read just the first two chapters it already sparked a good discussion between us about how the world of entrepreneurship is a far more promising route for him to take. However, I then started to read the book myself and finished it in two days while I was in Germany, so he has yet to have the chance to read it again!

With the UK government recently announcing that 500,000 businesses were started last year, the Entrepreneur Revolution concisely and eloquently explores this trend and gives people some really important advice as they choose the world of self-employment and the satisfaction that you get from building your own business(es). Having only left the corporate world and employeedom behind a year ago, I find books like these to also be a great source of inspiration which help me be in absolutely no doubt that I am far better off now than I was beforehand.
on 21 October 2013
Having left my 'proper job' 2 years ago to establish my own business, I have spent this time doing what I am good at, what I really love doing, and making a good living. This book articulates exactly why I did this - and provided me with some additional food for thought about next steps to push myself even further in developing my innovative approach to consulting in the public sector. It also provided me with material to support a structured analysis of why I made some of the choices that I made, and helped me to really focus on how I can add even more value to my clients, and in doing so, maintain the balance between fun, value and business growth.

There are so many things I have taken away from Daniel's experience that I will be putting into practice.

I recommend this book to anyone who has established their own business, anyone considering doing so and even those who feel that a more 'traditional' career is for them - but prepare for some surprises. I will definitely be reading this book again in the next few days.
on 14 January 2014
I have to say, I love this book.

So many self help/business books seem to tell you how you can have a wonderful life like the authors but then you realise the author only has this life due to selling a book on it and not because they have anything interesting to say. This then leaves me feeling cheated and distrustful of the genre.

I didn't get that feeling with this book and have read it twice to date, each time getting more out of it. Daniel has a great way of speaking to you through the book and there were so many times that I really connected with what he was talking about.

The book is fairly substantial too. When I thought I must have been getting near the end, I glanced to the kindle bar at the bottom which showed me I was only half way through!

The proof will be in the pudding though, I am setting up my own business right now and I hope to implement Daniel's advice. We'll see how it goes, but right now I am believing it and this book was a big factor in that!
on 29 May 2015
I downloaded the audio version of this book to listen to on holiday. I am in the early stages of planning my business idea and this book was just the type of thing I wanted to help structure my thoughts. There is a whole host of tips, advice and real life challenges to try out and I'm excited to get stuck in. What I liked about this book in particular, was the selection of 'examples' to support the points made. Examples that clearly demonstrate how it's often simple ideas that turn out to be the most successful - if they are solving problems for people. I enjoyed reading the chapter on 'creation' v 'consumption' and I look forward to putting this into practice. The secret ingredient referred to in the book is intriguing and I have my own thoughts on what I believe this is, however I will definitely be listening to this book another few times, just to see if my opinion changes or to see if I pick up on more nuances in the second and third listen. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it.
on 7 September 2013
I thought this book was going to be a bit naff because of the cover, but it turned out to be a brilliant read. Clear and concise, it lays the foundations for transforming your thinking around what's possible for creating a more stimulating existence for yourself.

For people who are not natural entrepreneurs, such as myself, but who have that entrepreneurial itch, this book is particularly important as it gives easy to understand and tangible guidance on how to shift your thinking and your actions out of the conventional way of making money into a more fluid, innovative and exciting paradigm. Among many, one of my big takeaways was the author's ATM (Ascending Transaction Model), an elegant system for delivering your services and products and giving them a context in the bigger picture of where you want your business to go. Another takeaway was the reminder of just how fun it can be to productise and package what you love about life so that other people can enjoy it too.
on 19 July 2014
I love this book and athlough I'm not much of a reader I finished it just 3 days. I did his tasks and I can safely say it has completely changed my mindset! Great book for the entrepanuer