4.0 out of 5 stars Dying Art?
I suspect that it's rather a sad thing that we need books like this to help us to communicate with others. Perhaps the unpalatable truth is that the art of inter-personal communication is one that is fading fast. There is thus a paradox between the technology that we have in our pockets, or on our desks that allows us to `communicate' with just about anyone; is in my view...
Published 19 months ago by Duncurin

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really for tackling serious social anxiety.
I suffer from chronic social anxiety. I've tried several things to combat this daily problem (from a course of NHS CBT to attending a NLP seminar, to medication to reading several other books about it). I'm currently re-reading "Overcoming Social Anxiety" (a CBT book, which seemed to help a lot (the only thing that really has) the first time around--though I lapsed after...
Published 20 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Down to the individual, 26 Feb. 2014
Mr. Martyn Poole "Rubix78" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: How to Talk to Absolutely Anyone: Confident Communication in Every Situation (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am mostly fine speaking to people especially at work but having said that I am not so great at starting conversations with an absolute stranger maybe on a bus (not that I travel on public transport) or a supermarket. Even if I manage to start a one with a stranger I than find it difficult holding a conversation unless I quickly find a common interest.

This book like some of the others from the series is very easy to read and follow. The author uses mostly work related situations which I feel makes the name of the book a bit misleading. Anyone picking up this book for tips talking to the opposite sex may want to look elsewhere!

A interesting read but I wouldn't say life changing, I am no conversational wizard since my read!

I have read some of the other reviews and there does seem to be a lot of mixed reviews as to whether it works or not, I guess its down to the individual. One thing most people do agree on though it is an interesting read

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and well written, 23 Sept. 2013
FlowaPowa (Ormskirk, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very interesting and well written book. The author Rhodes has a pleasant and engaging style that is easy to read.

I have a couple of difficult-to-talk-to people in my life, and want to find a way to open up new lines of conversation, and to make conversation flow better with less awkward silences. Rhodes has given me several pointers to help me to find subjects that are of interest to these people, and how to listen to their words to gauge how to respond in a way that will encourage them to keep talking.

The book is written in a logical manner, and contrary to many other reviewers, I didn't find it too sales oriented at all.

Rhodes makes good use of bold text and boxes to highlight summary sections to make it easy to flick back to them later.

Please don't let excessive use of exclamation marks in the foreword put you off, Rhodes style is nothing like that of Armand Beasley who wrote the foreword.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 20 Sept. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Being able to strike up a conversation with absolutely anyone is perhaps one of the great goals of life. We all know someone who seems to be able to converse naturally and charmingly with random strangers, and who hasn't wished they were as confident as that person? Mark Rhodes' book is very practical and full of wonderful advice, some of it common sense (which normally goes out the window in the pressure situation of talking to strangers) some of it neat little tricks and tips. I don't think this book will become a top, top seller as Rhodes' writing style tends to be no-nonsense, pragmatic advice. Perhaps he could have charmed us a little more with anecdotes of his failures etc. That said, this book works. It helps you gain confidence in your communication and goes into good detail about how to hold someone's attention and build a rapport.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy and informative read, 25 Oct. 2013
chipfat (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
How to Talk To Absolutely Anyone is a fairy easy to digest book for people who want to learn more about the skills of communicating with others.
Whilst most people might feel they are able to do this well enough, others may lack the confidence to branch out in certain social circumstances, especially if they are with less than familiar people or surroundings. The book gives ideas on how to overcome many of the fears such people might have to try and provide encouragement and motivation to overcome such problems. It gives useful and practical assistance on the art of making good conversation in everyday situations with other people. It certainly is a good read if you want to improve your communication skills. I am not sure it will make you a people magnet though!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Psychology of Confident Communication., 17 Sept. 2013
M. Dasani (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Mark Rhodes' book has made a brilliant effort to tackle the subject of communicating with strangers and doing it with confidence. This book covers the art of starting a conversation, how to keep someone engaged and how to do it with a purpose and outcome in mind. The book is well written, easy to understand and easy to follow. For those who do not have many confidence or social anxiety boundaries, this book will definitely help overcome the waffle barrier and have you conversing more succinctly and with a goal then ever before.

It's worth noting, that for those with confidence or social anxiety issues, this book is not your therapist. It is very unlikely that it will help you overcome any issues even if you learn it inside and out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Encouraging and well laid out., 26 Sept. 2013
A. Cresswell "Bubblefish777 - Born again Diver" (london, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've found this book easy to understand and encouraging. It doesn't address really formal situations like presentations but it does deal with casual encounters and similar things. For me I need to have this sort of guide as a stop gap. Not being a typical male with a fascination for Football, F1 or love of beer to bond over I often find it difficult to talk to people or socialise as I find most conversations mundane and boring. This means I probably haven't developed a suitable skill set to put myself at ease in a lot of social situations. Some people seem to have a knack for it. If like me you don't then this book is a good place to start.

3.0 out of 5 stars Is it SUDs or just more soft-soap?, 17 Oct. 2013
b4-its-2-l8 (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Clearly this author has an entrepreneurial flair and he has used his confident entrepreneurship to create a book which is mainly a repackaging of other people's ideas. That is not to say that this it is that bad a book as such, it's just that it is not original, therefore, if you are already familiar with any of a wide range of different publications from the self-help book industry you won't be likely to learn too much here and sticking with books the likes of Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway: How to Turn Your Fear and Indecision into Confidence and Action or How to Win Friends and Influence People may be better options for you.

Furthermore, Rhodes sails dangerously close to plagiarism, in one example, there's a section near the start dedicated to SUD levels (which Rhodes explains are "Subjective Units of Discomfort" although for other people elsewhere the 'D' stands for Distress or Disturbance), a self-rating scale in Behaviour Therapy devised by a noted psychiatrist; Joseph Wolpe, in the 1960's which he further developed and used for the "Systematic Desensitization" treatment of anxiety disorders. Yet Rhodes not only fails to reference the work of Wolpe (or any of his successors or contemporaries) he presents the SUD scale in a more meaningless, dumbed down fashion without giving any real guidance to individuals on how they should create and score their own, i.e. the vital `Subjective' part, which is important as it's how he states you're meant to monitor your progress - which is difficult to do given the vague parameters.

Overall, Rhodes breaks down the conversational style he teaches into "four stages of an interaction", which he bases the bulk of his book around, listing them as:
1 - Your outcome and starting a conversation
2 - Creating curiosity and interest
3 - Making a connection and being understood
4 - Getting people to take action

Oddly, this made me recall an acronym I was taught quarter of a century ago when working in field sales designing and selling advertising and was told that all successful adverts needed to have AIDA, which stood for:
1 - Attention - First you had to grab the reader's Attention
2 - Interest - Then retain their Interest
3 - Desire - Create an urge to want the product
4 - Action - Getting the reader to take action (often using time-limited offers).

Consequently, I didn't really get the feeling much of this book is for the average person in the street looking to improve their everyday conversational skills as it's rather too sales and business oriented for that (you see, for me, sometimes it's nice to just sit and "chew the fat" with someone for a while without seeking any 'goal' as an outcome. Then part company, perhaps to never see them again). For me, the conversation itself is the goal, not the outcome.

Also, and without wishing to be too rude, a fair amount of what I read in this book felt an awful lot like pop-psychology or even, at a few points, pseudo pop-psychology (if such a thing exists!). It made me wonder what qualifications (other than an over-abundance of personal confidence) Rhodes has.

I guess what most disappoints about this book is that I was looking for something more, perhaps along the lines of: "Techniques on how to maintain engaging conversations with anyone" but that's not what is delivered here, having said that, if you're new to this area and haven't read anything by anyone else on it, or done much in the way of sales work, then you'll be bound to pick up some useful pointers.

3.0 out of 5 stars The book's ok. Nothing new., 17 Oct. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Before I start my review I'd like to say that if you've never read anything on positive psychology and limiting beliefs, this book may well be very useful for you and you may learn quite a lot from it, in which case you'll feel that it's worthy of the 5-star rating. For me, however, the thought > feeling > action cycle and the way it affects our behaviours was nothing new and a large part of this book seems to be built upon the concept either directly or indirectly with few more tips added in-between. It's well written though and quite easy to read and understand. So, for my own reasons only, I'd give it 3 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful if not groundbreaking., 29 Sept. 2013
Pallus (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A lot of the techniques in this book sound a bit familiar but that's not to say they won't work.

The book starts off by tackling communications in general -with complete strangers, for instance- but later seems to concentrate more on business and selling in particular.

One could easily think they weren't learning anything they didn't already know but following the guidance would nonetheless give one the imputus to improve one's communication skills.

Go for it!

[My Ref: Loosening your toungue book, Sept 2013]

3.0 out of 5 stars Some minor helpful things..., 21 Nov. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
...but certainly nothing new. You will find similar information to this book freely available online, it is a pretty standard self-help guide. The claim of being able to talk 'to anyone' is of course drivel; confronted by a burglar late at night or an unhinged drunk I doubt many people would remember any of the advice in this book. It is decently written, and is clear and not too jargon-laden. It's at it's best when it comes down to specific situations and conversation openers; memorize these and it might come in useful one day. The book is also cheap, which is always a bonus.

How to Talk to Absolutely Anyone: Confident Communication in Every Situation