5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and Pratical!
I won a copy of this book with an entry saying I needed a kick up the arse! The book is less a kick up the arse and more a comfort blanket that says "yes it's OK to feel that the corporate life is not for you" but that does not stop it being an inspirational and practical read.

Published 15 months ago by Claire L 1

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring but not really a how-to book
This book is great if you need a little inspiration from stories of other people who have made their getaway, but there are no hard and fast practical tips on how to actually do it yourself.
Published 11 months ago by S. Homer

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and Pratical!, 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Escape Manifesto: Quit Your Corporate Job - Do Something Different! (Paperback)

It's worth buying a copy, just for the index of useful websites at the back. Some of the financial advice may seem obvious to me now I've gone through one redundancy, one sacking and one extended length of travelling,but I really wish someone had hammered the idea that "saving is a generally a good thing" into my brain earlier on in my career.

About to try and persuade my mum to buy her miserable management consultant god-son a copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you want to quit corporate life, 25 May 2013
Got the book last week after a tough and long day at work and after reading this I was tempted to had in my notice the following day!
An excellent read and really makes you think that you are on this planet for a short time so what's the point of doing a mundane corporate job when there are now so many opportunities to follow your dream and follow your passion.
For people looking to quit and go it alone it gives some great advice and pointers to help you make your dream a success but also is realistic it that not everything is a bed of roses and it will require hard work and most likely in the first few years a reduction of disposable income.
Anyway a great read that really makes you take a long hard look at corporate life...........and then realise its best to escape!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are thinking about quitting you job but don't know where to start, this is the book for you, 29 May 2013
Are you stuck in a job you don't love? Want to do something different? Get this book now to start the journey to a more fulfilled you.

This book is not only inspirational but immensely helpful in turning your dreams into a success. A very practical must read if you know there's more to life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Feel like a cog in a corporate machine?, 9 Dec 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book. It encouraged me to attend an Escape the City event and I have since recommended both the book and online community to friends & colleagues. I regularly return to key sections of the book when I feel I need a dose of inspiration - usually on the way to my job in the City. It is practical, useful and inspiring to anyone thinking there must be more to life than being another cog in a corporate machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect guideline to move forward in your career, 18 Nov 2013
The Book is filled with many examples of professionals leaving their "corporate jobs" to live an adventure, run their own businesses or simply slow down their lives. The book is concerned about the current "State of Job" and offers different views about how to manage your career (and even your life!) without pushing you to leaver your job inmediately: they ask you to think about what you want to do, how much money you have to save for your escape, etc
A good read if you re planning a different move in your life and career
J

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changing read, 2 Nov 2013
I read this book after being stuck at a cross roads with my career. I can only say that since reading it I've made some amazing decisions and I'm finally doing what I want. It's a fantastic read with excellent advice to everyone. Life is short and this book makes you realise it. It will change you for the good.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you’re working in the city and dreaming of escaping then read this, 1 Nov 2013
I lost track of the number of times I stopped to read out passages to my wife expressing the exact same thoughts and emotions as I’d been feeling myself, it’s always good to know you’re not the first to have felt this way. I’m mid-escape currently, but after reading this have a much clearer picture of what to do next and where to focus my efforts. The book is well structured with practical tips on sorting your finances and building your ‘escape fund’ and having got a bit carried away with the highlighter whilst reading I now have a clear to-do list of what comes next. Along the way there’s a healthy body of quotes from previous escapees and entrepreneurs, with equal parts wit and good advice to get you through the highs and lows of your own escape. If you think there’s more to life than working in the city then buy it now.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read as a starter, 14 Aug 2013
This book is good for people looking to make changes in their lives, but limited to professionals. I guess that goes without saying as it is in the title. It is well written and clear, however I think it is aimed at a certain group of people and therefore not necessarily that useful to me. Overall I think the main points can be applied to most people, so if you are looking at making a change, then do read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Read with the Escape the City Website, 31 May 2013
C Walsh - See all my reviews
I write this review as an "escapee" who left banking 18 months ago and co-founded a B2B company, so it was interesting to read the book and see it from the "outside" looking in before one makes the leap of faith. I skipped the "adventure" and "get a new job in social enterprise etc" chapters, as they don't interest me, and have to say that the book is 5 stars for inspirational writing alone!

Great aspects:
1. Really emulates the true nature of leaving a job (people who are supportive, people who want you to fail to justify their trapped lives) which is overlooked and not to be underestimated.
2. Quotes very relevant throughout the book (once you are your own boss you can never go back, start small and grow etc)
3. It's very easy reading so there's no excuse not to read it.

Less than great points (not negative aspects per se, just my thoughts):
1. Lacks detail about executing a startup - but the book is about "escape" so I understand the reason to avoid what could be another 100+ (or 1000) pages. Best left to another book.
2. Talks too much about Escape the City as the "business" - they have 1000s of members they could have prepared case studies on, rather than just insert a few random people with/out context in 1-2-3 sentences. People like to read actual stories rather than fillers, and having an escape story distilled makes you appreciate an escape (alas, once again, the benefit of the ESC website is invaluable here)
3. More corporate horror stories about the future that awaits if you stay - the ESC e-mails are brilliant as are the cartoons - shocking people never goes amiss to force action.

This book is essential reading, and despite the fact that it doesn't present a roadmap to an escape (it doesn't pretend too if you read the cover), it will get people to think about what they do every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've Escaped, and it's a still super useful read, 29 May 2013
R. Brownsdon (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I've never really worked in a corporate job in the city, and even though I don't really need to "Escape" - I love this book.

It reminds me on the difficult days why I decided to take the more unpredictable start-up/portfolio career path. It inspires me with stories of success.

The world of work is changing, and you now have so many choices. The sky is the limit. It's our responsibility to make our lives worth living.

It can be difficult to know where to start, but you know what can help you? This book!

The Escape Manifesto: Quit Your Corporate Job - Do Something Different!