5.0 out of 5 stars Visual CBT - a lot clearer
Published 23 months ago by Chris H

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting
Sounds good but I got lost on the techno babble. It gives a good understanding though of how CBT can be used, and some good references. I'm off now to find a local therapist. Thanks.
Published 20 months ago by kiwi reader

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Visual CBT - a lot clearer, 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: Visual CBT: Using Pictures to Help You Apply Cognitive Behaviour Therapy to Change Your Life (Paperback)
Wow! Visual CBT a self help book that I can really get to grips with. It does just what it says on the cover.From the very beginning the illustrations and tables and the pictures and simple headings tell a very clear message and make it easy to relate to the step by step guides to help you change how you feel and how you react....and some of the illustrations made me laugh out loud...I'd been in that situation and acted just like it. It feels very friendly and on your side - I'm sure I will keep dipping into it and getting more and more out of it. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 19 April 2013
Its worth reading this book . It helped me lot. Any one can really go through this book . It can change life! Very simple language and friendly.good book for any one suffering depression and anxiety . I suggest give it a go . More than five star from me

5.0 out of 5 stars i really loved this book., 3 Feb 2013
I loved this book. Leads you through making changes your emotional responses in a really engaging way. It's a supportive and life changing book. Buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really helped to change my thinking patterns, 5 Sep 2013
C. Barker (East Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
I have found this book incredibly helpful and practical, as not only does it help you to identify unhealthy thoughts and beliefs but gives you a positive strategy for dealing with them, and helps build your resilience and confidence. I liked the process (though it may seem a bit tedious at first!) of exploring and challenging your beliefs e.g. starting from the belief that 'I should not have failed' you get to a healthy and postive statement such as; 'I would like not to have failed... it is difficult, but I can bear it... I am fallible and I accept myself' (edited version!).

Having repeated the exercise thoroughly for a number of beliefs (I did one for each of the eight chapters/themes) I now find that I am saying to myself; 'This is difficult but not unbearable, bad but not awful, and I can handle this'. You need to put in a bit of effort and make the time but it is so worth it, to reduce the number of times you beat yourself up, and to increase your confidence and calmness!

5.0 out of 5 stars Visual CBT, 16 Jan 2014
I really loved this book. It talks you through making changes and your emotional responses in a really easy way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, highly recommended, 5 Jun 2013
This book is an excellent read and a great reference tool for professional therapists. No potential cause for emotional disturbance has been left out of its coherent and consistent form and methodology. Visual CBT can be useful not only to therapists but also to non professionals who may find themselves reflected in its explanations, examples and illustrations. I have encountered patients who have completely identified their experience with the thoughts, emotions and behaviours as they are expressed here. As if the book has been written and illustrated with them in mind.
Visual CBT has helped me clarify the concepts an ideas behind CBT and REBT, and in this way improve the way I express those ideas to my patients.
Thank you for such a useful piece of work. I will keep it near by and will review it regularly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 16 April 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book particularly for anyone new to CBT, 9 Feb 2014
A great book easy to read and the pictures really do help 'tell the story'. I would recommend this to anyone,looking for more information in this area or to give as gift to any possible cynics- they may be converted by a book like this which is practical and easy to understand.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor execution of a 'potentially' good idea, 10 July 2013
As a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist, I have long considered that a visual representation of the process would be invaluable to certain groups of people, especially those who employ visual modalities to process information or for those with learning difficulties. However, this isn't it!

Perhaps I expected more from it's somewhat misleading title. Whilst the book itself contains sound constructive advice as to how to apply CBT, the visuals are truly dreadful (and I mean really 'dreadful') which renders the book somewhat ineffective. It looks like a 5 year old has attempted the illustrations which are vague, imprecise and horribly amateurish. As a concept I consider the title to be misleading in the extreme, and therefore cannot recommend. A (significantly) missed opportunity. Shame really.

1.0 out of 5 stars Clever CBT ideas - horrible rehashed execution!!!, 8 Jun 2013
D.Austin (Dumfries, UK) - See all my reviews
TIP TO AUTHORS: If you want to write a non-fiction book then don't take 8 emotions and re-hash them all the same - this is NOT unique content! PLEASE no more "Repeat, Wash, and Rinse" books - they won't sell long term on Amazon let me tell you.

TIP TO BUYER: Read one chapter of this book and you've read them all. Yes, its good in parts (one chapter to be exact!) but if you must buy it, don't buy a new copy - buy a used copy at £0.01.

p.s. this review was written with a high frustration tolerance (HFT)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›