A compelling read, I couldn't put it down! The very first paragraph gets you thinking and that doesn't stop all the way through this fantastic book! Robert gets you to think about what you do, what you see, what you think... everything.. and in a really friendly, informative way. It's almost as though he was there in the room with you, having a chat.

This...
Published on 6 Jan. 2012 by Pink Waffles

1.0 out of 5 stars Body Language
Published 20 months ago by Dunc

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Body Language, 4 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Body Language: It's What You Don't Say That Matters (Paperback)
This is my very first review on Amazon... I felt obliged after finishing this awful book in less than a day... You would learn more from a 5 minute video on Youtube on the same subject matter than you would from this book. It's very basic information that most people would know just from common sense. It's printed in a large font, made up of hopelessly small paragraphs combined with horrible stock images. There really isn't anything worth paying for and I regret wasting 8 pounds on this. This book just seems like an afterthought, steer clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally brilliant!!! You'll never look at people the same way again., 6 Jan. 2012

This fascinating book is well laid out, with just the right amount of information interspersed with exercises, case histories, stories and great pictures, and the summaries at the end of each chapter bring it all together.

The exercises in the book are a helpful way to really understand the techniques and approaches, and are most interesting in what they show you about yourself and others)

I loved the PIN code especially... it takes 'people watching' to another level and helps bring together what you have learned through the book. I doubt I will ever be bored again waiting for train or in a really dull meeting, as there will always be something to look for now.

The ideal book to carry around with you!

4.0 out of 5 stars For someone in sales, there's much of interest here, 22 Feb. 2012
Trotley "TomOtley" (Bedford) - See all my reviews
Non-verbal communication is something I have to say (sorry) I've not spent much time thinking about, but after this book, I've become a little obsessed by it. This book is certainly no frills - there are few photos or illustrations and precious little humour, but it's easy to read, makes its points in a simple and direct manner, and contains lots of helpful hints.

(If you want to know about Phipps' qualifications, they are more along the lines of school of selling, though he tells the story entertainingly and persuasively at the end of the book. The publicity blurb says that he has worked with corporate clients such as Lloyds TSB, HSBC, Citigroup, Slaughter & May and most strangely the Syrian Business Council.)

The information in the book is presented in a way that makes it all very easy to understand, not least in the YODA acronym, which stands for You: you have to be fully engaged; Observe: just notice things you didn't before; Decode: work out what it means and Adapt: change your behaviour to get better results.

It's that last part that's most important, of course, because although we probably spend a lot of time before an important meeting rehearsing our arguments or practising our presentation and finessing the Powerpoint, quite frequently the impression we give is down to things we think we have no control over and probably give no time to altering such as the way we stand, sit, what we do with our face when someone asks us a question or the way we react while someone else is speaking.

We've all heard of mirroring the person you are speaking to. It sounds sinister, but is actually a natural thing to do when you are relaxed and getting on with someone, but as Phipps points out, the moment you are under stress or being challenged, the mirroring goes out of the window and you tend to sit up straight, your heartbeat increases, you move into the "fight or flight" stress response, and after that, though you might win the argument, you have probably lost the war.

"A quick example is the hand and wrist. When relaxed and fluid the hand rolls loosely at the pivot point of the wrist. This stops the moment someone starts to get more serious about something. At this point their hand, wrist and forearm begin to move as one, pushing forward with jabbing [or] sweeping gestures.... If you observe this, you are in a position to decode it and make sense of it."

If this doesn't sound important enough for you to buy the book, you'll also find the answers to the two questions Phipps is apparently asked when training people or giving speeches.

"How do you know when someone is physically attracted to you?" and "How do you know when someone is lying to you?"

Along the way you get a quick crash course in NLP, how to make a good first impression, how to shake hands, make eye contact and lots of case studies, tips on interviews and exercises should you wish to take things further. I'd say for someone in sales, there's much of interest here, and for the rest of us, lots that perhaps we'd rather not think about, but perhaps should.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very shallow stuff, 21 Aug. 2013
Neil Currams "monster2405" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
At the end of the book the author explains how he got in to studying body language, and he lists the books that were around at the time which therefore influenced him; namely work by Desmond Morris, Paul Ekman and Allan Pease. But in the text of the book he then proceeds to lift portions from all of the books listed as if it is his own work!!

At best this book is average and a very shallow introduction to the subject of non verbal communication. There are no new ideas or information available in this book if you have read anything at all about NLP or body language previously, and overall I am left very disappointed. He has even included generic, stock photographs designed to illustrate expressions, etc.

There are so many other better, more informative books out there on the subject - my advice would be to start off reading books by the three authors at the top of this review, if you really want to learn something and not just be able to have a 'bar conversation' about bog standard body language.

5.0 out of 5 stars Body Language, Its what you dont say that matters, 29 Jan. 2012
I have just finished reading 'Body Language, It's what you dont say that matters'....
Wow.. what can I say, this is a truely enlightening book!

Over the past few years I have been looking to gain knowledge on the subject of body language and have spent much time reading books related to it but none of which have even come close to this book by Robert Phipps, he certainly knows the subject well and puts his knowledge of it across perfectly..... I just couldnt put it down!! Its amazing to think that in the past two days I have felt more in control..... Yes, I gained ALL that from a book!

You HAVE to read this! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Real World Book on Body Language - It May Change Your Life, 29 Dec. 2011
Alex W. Smith "Royle Hypnotist" (Manchester, Englad) - See all my reviews
Wow - what can I say? I've read nearly every book ever released on Body Language and many of them
in fact the majority have proved to be of dubious content and of very little practical use in the real world.

This book is different to say the least! - There's no egotistical theory here, rather the book is cram packed
with nuggets of tried, tested and consistently proven to work observations and experience that have enabled
the author to become one of the worlds leading authorities in this subject.

Although apparently aimed at the business market, as a working Hypnotherapist and Mind Magician I can honestly
say that the contents of this book will prove invaluable to every human being on this planet.

That may sound like a bold statement, however the fact is that these techniques can be used to become far
more successful in the dating arena, they can be used to gain rapport with therapy clients and also to
become more persuasive, they can be used by Magicians, Mentalists and Entertainers to gain better audience reactions
and to react to their audience members in a more productive way and they can be used by sales people to make
more sales and thus more money.

In fact to be honest I can't really think of anyone in any walk of life who would not benefit immensely by
learning and using the methods and approaches detailed within the pages of this invaluable work.

If you want the real inside work on Body Language and Non Verbal Communication that actually makes sense, is easy
to learn and will actually work for you in all areas of your personal and business life, then you owe it to yourself
to buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most insightful body language book I've ever read., 24 Jan. 2012
Mark Stewart (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
Really interesting read, it's impossible to put down once you start. It takes 'people watching' to a new level and is also a great tool if you come in to contact with people in your job. There is so much value in being able to know what people are feeling or thinking without them having to say it to you out loud. This book will really change how you look at everything, your life and just as importantly how you look at other people too. Brilliant book, congrats to the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome read, I couldn't put it down., 15 Mar. 2013
Really great read and opened my eyes to things around me that I now cannot "not see". A great tool for learning more about what other people are thinking and feeling in a given moment. I can see how this book could be invaluable in the business world, in helping negotiations and in reaching better outcomes through a greater understanding of the approach of partners and adversaries alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Body Language talks the talk., 24 Jan. 2012
Forget the 'also rans' in this genre, 'Body Language'is a winner by a mile. Unlike some of the other books written about body language, which can quickly become tedious, Robert Phipps has a writing style that holds your attention from start to finish. The book covers all you need to know on the subject in a clear concise way which I personally couldn't fault. Excellent stuff

2.0 out of 5 stars A small amount of content spread over lots of pages, 5 Mar. 2012
H Jackson (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I want to find an authoritative book that tells us what researchers know about body language. Unfortunately, this book is not the book I want.

The fact that I seem to be the only dissenting voice leads me to suspect that many (if not most - or even all?) of the positive reviews written by other reviewers have been written by people who know the author personally!

In my personal opinion, I didn't really feel that the book delivered anything that I didn't already know or suspect. Having read articles on body language and deception in magazines such as Psychologies and some of the Sunday supplements, I thought that this book simply didn't offer much that was new or sufficiently more in-depth than I had read elsewhere. A lot of the advice seemed quite obvious to me. I often read books with a highlighter pen in hand but found that there just wasn't much that I wanted to highlight.

Again, this is just my personal opinion, but I found the book disappointing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Body Language: It's What You Don't Say That Matters
Body Language: It's What You Don't Say That Matters by Robert Phipps (Paperback - 26 Dec. 2011)