4.0 out of 5 stars A Hugely Useful Self-Help Book
This book can be summed up in one word: practical. While most self-help books are heavy on the aspiration, 'What's Stopping You?' is a no-nonsense guide to acknowledging, understanding and overcoming fears, especially the fear of failure. Robert Kelsey doesn't promote complete banishment of fears, nor does he promise happiness or spiritual enlightenment. By...
Published on 4 July 2011 by HeavyMetalManitou

3.0 out of 5 stars Super guidebook if you have a fear of failure
This is an interesting and helpful `self-help' book that provides a lot of good quality facts, advice and information, but perhaps it could be viewed as specialist advice.

The author very clearly separates people into only two camps: High-FFs (Fear of Failure) and High-AMs (Achievement Motivated) and the whole book is based on giving a frank and detailed...
Published on 18 Oct 2011 by Shirlz

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a book which helps you realise why... And how to take steps forward, 9 Dec 2011
I've decided to write this although I have only reached page 35, I feel that the author needs a solid round of applause.

I've read self help books from meditation to time mgmt to thinking positive.. Blah blah.. All good theories but rarely did they really make a dynamic difference. Mostly because they try and re program your instincts in 100 pages.

I'm the sort of person who can think of a credible business venture every week, you spot things, you see trends you do you research and think that's possible... But do I give it a go ? No. I over complicate it make it sound unachievable and get back to the day job. Which to be fair gives me a platform to be very successful and happy...

So far what this book has made me quickly realise is WHY I so rarely take that next step and reside to accepting that it's ok not to try but be a muse for those more confident folks..

Page 35 so far so I can't say yet it's going to be life changing.. But this far I've learn't more than most other books put together.
And the great bit... Most of theory is based on a century of research by some very acclaimed academics. The fact the book highlights somes own journey through this, makes this book an endearing and light hearted read.

The only thing stopping you is you... This book finally tells you why... Good luck

1.0 out of 5 stars A meandering and indulgent read, 13 Jan 2014
The author seems to have found a medium to cast a gloomy view over the entrepreneur reader. Lots of quotes from other authors about what doesn't work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not fluffy or vague!, 25 May 2011
This review is from: What's Stopping You?: Why Smart People Don't Always Reach Their Potential and How You Can. (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a serial purchaser of your typical "you can do it" self help/motivate yourself books I can say that my initial reaction to yet another title was ...well, I never felt especially inspired by many other books in this genre however I thought I would give it a try. Thankfully we don't fall into the usual...just do it strategy as outlined vaguely by other titles, but a more intro and retrospective look at the traits in our nature that make us fearful of failure and how to challenge these using various methods.
I'd class this as a "different way" of getting there, and for those who don't mind a bit of legwork and believe the adage you only get out what you put in, its a good place to start making changes in the way you work towards personal goals. Recommended for those who have shelves heaving with self help books yet still sit on the couch dreaming of achievement...

4.0 out of 5 stars The Self-Help Book to End Self-Help Books?, 17 May 2011
M. Hadfield "Ammonite" (Runcorn, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The author has been a passionate reader of self-help literature over the years and discovered one important thing - they didn't really help him. He also felt they didn't really help anyone else either because of one key factor they omitted to mention. Atkinson's work on motivation was apparently the key. It seems we all fit somewhere on Atkinson's scale of how achievement motivated we are. High AM's (achievement motivationalists I guess) don't need self help books. At the other end of the scale are what the author designates High FFs - with the FF standing for Fear of Failure.

This book is all about High FFs and written for High FFs (the author is one of these). This book contains many useful insights with quotes and advice gathered from the author's favourite self-help gurus, Anthony Robbins author of Awaken the Giant within, and Stephen Covey author of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People plus one or two others, as well as much of value from his own personal experiences.

It's not a fun read, and I had no problem putting it down, but the odd gems of useful information that appear from time make it well-worth reading. I found the chapters on Leadership and Networking especially valuable.

I did have one small disagreement, which I only mention because of the author's disparaging attitude to the majority of other self-help literature, and that relates to his comments in the chapter on dealing with a bad Boss. He makes a statement which is mistaken. 'Here's what I could have done differently' and then he lists his errors and what he should have done instead. Anyone who works in the self-help/motivational arena knows that the past is dead and unchangeable. There is no possibility of ever being able to have done something differently. All you can ever do is recognise that what you did didn't bring you the results you wanted. Looking into the past and thinking that life would have been better if only you'd done this instead of that is one of the many Roads to Hell. It's only a tiny section of the book, but it does lead me to think the author is not the expert in change that he is setting himself up as. For this reason I only give 4 stars. But, if you are someone who's fear of failure is preventing you from living the life you want, then the book is well worth reading, but treat it as a starting point for further research. On it's own there is insufficient information for it to qualify as a 'self-help' manual.

Used & New from: £0.01