5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, practical, inspiring
It happens that I do want to be a social entrepreneur, but until I read the book I didn't really understand that this was what I was going to be called. This is a very human book, written as if he were chatting to us face to face, to help people to get up and running, making sure that they've done the groundwork before they start to sew the seeds.
A social enterprise...
Published on 18 Feb 2011 by Mrs. R.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit wishy-washy
Despite the various rave reviews on Amazon I was disappointed by this book. Whatever the subject, whether it negotiation, sales, fundraising etc.. there's usually one or two "aha!" books on Amazon that provide new genuinely new advice, a genuinely useful system or a take on the subject matter. This wasn't one of those books for me. It just turned out to be some...
Published 17 months ago by Mr. T. M. Ashe

4.0 out of 5 stars A great guide to thinking bigger- but not for all, 12 Feb 2012
Mr. Simon Paddon "Simon" (Barnstaple, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: How to be a Social Entrepreneur: Make Money and Change the World (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was quite surprised how quickly this book could be read, having completed it myself in just a couple sessions. And I like the theme of this book- that is, to think society and socially, not just commercialism.

With great reference point to successful people, it will not appeal to all, due to the need to be in a situation to put these thoughts into action (how many of us are in a position to determine the direction and influence of a business?), it is none the less and interesting and thought provoking read.

As with all these books though, there is just a smidgen of idealism behind the message. Idealism which can become a bit of a wake up call to the reality of other people's lives, when compared to your own. I was torn when giving this book stars; for most, it's relevance means it should have 3 stars. I went for 4 because hopefully you would only get this book if it was relevant to you and your situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make Your Own World-Changing Wonga!, 27 Jan 2012
Mrs. T. Newton "Sassy Brit" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
About
=====
This is the first book about becoming a social entrepreneur I have read. I have to say, this is something I would love to do, perhaps for a well-known, existing charity, however, there are lots of ideas for coming up with my own business / brand, if I feel passionately enough about making lots of money to change the world and make a real difference with my own social enterprise. And you can, too with the help of this invaluable social enterprise start up guide.

Best Bits
======
The practical examples of real-life scenarios is top notch reading material and so informative.
Each chapter is summarised at the end, with additional and very useful notes directing the reader to other places to find out more and do more research on the topics discussed.

Worst Bits
=======
This is such a super book I just couldn't fault it.

Layout
=====
The book is split up into five parts:
* What - an explanation of what a social entrepreneur and enterprise really is.
* Who - Is it for you? Find out in this part.
* How to Start - From business plans to structure and governance, it's all here.
* How to Grow - Selling, money management and standing out from the crowd!
* How to Share - I particularly liked `Building a Winning Team' and `Building a Community in this section.

Overall
=====
If I had a hat on, I'd raise it to Mr. Robert Ashton for his impressive, comprehensive, life-changing guide, which I couldn't put down. `How to be a Social Entrepreneur: Make Money and Change the World', is an inspiring read, and I defy anyone intent on becoming a social entrepreneur to be successful without it. This book is social supremacy at it's best. Now I want to read the other book this author, Robert Ashton, has written. It's called `The Entrepreneur's Book of Checklists' and that sounds right down my alley. If you've read it, let me know what you thought!

4.0 out of 5 stars Advice for social entrepreneurs, 18 Sep 2011
In this book Robert Ashton suggests that, "In today's world, the only way to bring about sustainable change is through being enterprising and entrepreneurial."
Ashton sets out a convincing argument for the benefits of social enterprise. He tells us how, as a social entrepreneur, you can build a successful business, and help people and the planet. "Social entrepreneurship is about utilising profitable business models to enable positive change in the world."
He tells us how, social enterprises and cooperatives provide a way of reconnecting communities, regaining local ownership and accountability.
Social enterprises can provide social and environmental programmes that the government is unwilling or unable to provide.

This book explains what social enterprises are, how they work, and offers practical advice to starting and expanding one.
There is advice on everything from developing a business plan, finding funding, building a winning team, to structure and governance.
Combining a shrewd business mind, with a wide breadth of experience and knowledge of the charity sector, Robert Ashton provides us with plenty of good advice and guidance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly easy to read, 31 Aug 2011
Such a big subject but really easy to read and understand. Very helpful and well structured. Well worth the money

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and very useful, 22 April 2011
Margaret Gallagher (London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Making a difference and making a living often seem to be at opposite ends of the spectrum. But this new animal, 'Social Enterprise', that is coming more and more to the fore in the 21st Century, is a way of doing both. Profits don't go to shareholders, but back into the organisation to enable it to continue its work and expand. And the people involved can make a decent wage - which we all need in order to survive.
This excellent book takes us through the process of setting one up. It is written in a human, rather than formal way and is very engaging and informative, and it is an excellent guide for anyone who wants to build a service-providing organisation. If you have the love and the passion to make a difference - this could be the way to go, and you would have to go a long way to find a better guide.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not practical for the average person, 18 Mar 2011
White Eagle - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this book is very nicely written & full of useful info.
I am thinking of starting my own business & when I came across this book I thought why not start a business which benefits society as a whole also & I thought this was an inspiring idea. However, I found it is more for someone who has some experience. It is not to mean it is written in a textbook style as quite the opposite is true. But I found the ideas & the practicality of applying them more for a more experienced person. It has a lot of reference to existing social entrepreneurs & I found this very interesting. It has a lot of exmaples.
I find this book is more about how to think like a social entrepreneur rather than how to actually start such a business.

The book has 5 parts with each having 3-4 chapters:
1.What (what is social entrepreneurship
2.Who (applying personalities & strengthening your talents & skills)
3.How to Start (some advice on starting a business plan & how to think it thru thoroughly & for example some useful advice on startng a charity)
4.How to Grow (selling & marketing)
5.How to Share (building rapport)

I think if you are already in a business & have some experience (even a little) then this book might be off help to you but as a newcomer, I personally found it not very helpful to me BUT it is an interesting read as it has a lot of ideas, stories of how other people have made it, some useful practical info.

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to be a Social Entrepreneur? Read this book!, 11 Dec 2010
There's a lot of books now coming out about social entrepreneurship. Some are written by journalists, others by academics - not that many by real social entrepreneurs. Robert Ashton is a social entrepreneur who also knows how to write in highly pleasurable way about his subject. This book isn't just covering the bases around finance, sales, operations etc - though it does this very well. Robert starts with the person - you. He understands that the main thing that determines success isn't the business plan or the bank but the person themselves. Reading this book, as a maybe social entrepreneur helps you to understand whether or not this is a journey for you. It asks you to be honest - and help you to do so!

A lot of books make social entrepreneurship sound like the heroic pursuit of the few - a bit like space-travel or ultra-marathoning. This one doesn't. Robert is keen to cast the net wide, even to people who are not entrepreneurs in the classic sense - but also 'intrapreneurs' people inside companies who make the running, take risks and create value. This includes public sector people, a very relevant group as the new Coalition Government encourages state employees to utilize their new 'Right to Provide' public services in new co-ops and social enterprises.

What I perhaps like most about this book (and there isn't a lot not to like) is the way Robert is helping turn social entrepreneurship from a hairshirt option for the extremely worthy to something we can all do. We can, he argues, make a very good living while also helping others and the environment. Social entrepreneurship for him is also about personal freedom and an overall balanced existence. We do not, he contends, have to make a straight choice between financial wealth and being poor-but-worthwhile. We can do both. This perhaps is the big take-away message here.

So why buy this book? You'll be charmed by it. You'll definitely enjoy it. You will definitely learn from it and find it useful (it is good for dipping into when you need something).

Craig Dearden-Phillips
Managing Director of Stepping Out Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Inspirational, 16 Dec 2010
Miss M. L. English "Mary English" (Bath, England) - See all my reviews
I loved this book.

It was so nice to read about the subject of philanthropy, with the business spin. There's no need to feel guilty about combining work....and good doings.

The Body Shop (which isn't mentioned but could very easily have been) was originally created with more than just good skin in mind, and Anita Roddick championed many causes.

This book covers those types of scenarios using Cadbury's, Bob Geldof, Jamie Oliver and The Respect Group as examples.

A product/service, and a vision.

It starts with little suggestions and goes onto to asking the sort of BIG questions YOU need to answer if you want to fulfill the titles promise. Robert covers everything possible from building the business plan, to the team and money without ignoring the personal qualities needed to achieve the goal.

The writing style is easy to understand, to comprehend and enjoy. Great book:)

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need to know and more, 18 Nov 2010
G. Lucas - See all my reviews
What a breath of fresh air to find this book. After months of surfing the net, phone calls, networking and pestering the local business 'experts' - I find everything I need to know in the pages of this fab book! Setting up a social enterprise is a daunting prospect with its complex legal structures - but Robert Ashton simplifies it and brings all that mind boggling stuff together and explains in it simple terms - and if I can my head round it - anyone can. The new species that is the Social Entrepreneur is given a chance to succeed and grow into what is the future of business with the help of this brilliant little book. Thank you so much for writing it Robert - you rock!

5.0 out of 5 stars The must-read book for social entrepreneurship..., 31 Dec 2013
Brilliant books from start to finish. I thought it would be the usual gobbldegook about positive thinking and making an impact, but this book covers everything from legal structures to day-to-day management, and makes writing mission statements, business plans and sales pitches easy.

How to be a Social Entrepreneur: Make Money and  Change the World
How to be a Social Entrepreneur: Make Money and Change the World by Robert Ashton (Paperback - 27 Oct 2010)