5.0 out of 5 stars An ROI OF 580%
Published 10 months ago by Antoinette Oglethorpe

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Wobbly... & Needs "Sales" on the Cover
Published 15 months ago by John G

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Wobbly... & Needs "Sales" on the Cover, 20 May 2013
This review is from: The Jelly Effect: How to Make Your Communication Stick (Paperback)
You know, I liked the style and the easy read but it is not about Communication. A quick look at the chapter titles proves the point: Networking (70 pages on this), How to Sell More, Referrals, Presentations. All very much Sales content. Andy even shares his credentials as "Britain's Best Sales Trainer of the Year". Maybe Sales should have made its way onto the cover in some way which may have changed my decision about buying it and put the content in the right context.

The premise is good... Andy became a great communicator because he learned to explain things with clarity to his blind mother necessitating the removal of what he describes as "Jelly" from communication and focusing solely on what is important. Early in the book, this is supported quite well but diminished as I was drawn into the Networking and what Andy calls Afters (what you leave your client with). Once into the main body it became a bit standard Sales approach with new acronyms being the only differentiating feature. And the Presentation part... seemed to have a fair amount of Jelly.

Overall, a nice book that is an easy read, that won't do you any harm and might do you some good on Networking in particular. But it is a book on Sales not Communication.

PS. Probably worth 4 Stars as a Sales book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Flatters to deceive, 24 July 2007
I read the reviews so decided to try out the book. Lots of big typeface and few words on the page, I have seen too many of these books before. This is effectively 10 powerpoint slides s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d into a book. The ideas are fine, but nothing that I have not seen before, in more detail, elsewhere.

I took a look at the author's website, and, surprise, surprise, some of the reviewers here on Amazon are the same people as give him 'testimonials' on his website for his courses. Not sure of the integrity of all involved.

Overall, it's an okay book, but not worthy of the lavish praise heaped on it by some of these 'reviewers'

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth The Money, 20 Feb 2011
I bought the kindle version of this book after seeing a positive review of it. Being a sales coach myself I was looking for refreshing ideas to use in my training. To my surprise I found it very simple! Almost like he was teaching sales to a bunch of kids at a primary school. He doesn't come across as a sales expert at all. More like somebody who has created a few new catch phrases for concepts that have been around forever. He tries to sell these as new concepts but not even the children in the primary school would fall for them. Not worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars An ROI OF 580%, 23 Oct 2013
A friend recommended The Jelly Effect to me and I am so grateful that they did. I read it on holiday but, because its such an easy and entertaining read, it didn't feel like I was "working". Then I applied what I'd read about presentations to a conference presentation I made when I got back from holiday. A few months later one of the attendees contacted me to ask me for a proposal. Again following Andy's really helpful advice, I'm delighted to say I won the work. Even though I wasn't available on the dates they wanted, the client changed their dates to suit my availability. I know they had other proposals they were considering so I'm confident it was the strength of my presentation at the conference and the clarity of my communication in the proposal that made the difference. I reckon my investment in The Jelly Effect has given me a return of 580%. And that's why you should read it! Its a brilliant example of the power of simplicity.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bought it, read it, binned it., 11 Nov 2007
Well, I put it in a recycling bin. It's terrible.
This is a terrible book: patronising, simplistic and so basic it would insult a school-leaver, let alone a professional.
For a vastly superior alternative on a similar topic, try "Made to Stick".

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems with Kindle version, 1 May 2013
There are many diagrams that are key to the value of the text. In the Kindle version these diagrams cannot be read, even with a magnifying glass, and the cannot be enlarged. I am sure the paper version is great. The kindle version is a complete waste of money

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it - very useful., 1 Sep 2014
I have been lent this book - the person who owns it wants it back.

It's great! I guess I'm exactly who it's targeted at because I feel like I've got a lot out of it, even if the ideas are not complicated - in fact they are pretty obvious, but it helps having them spelled out the way they are.

I can genuinely say I feel this book has changed the way I communicate from a business point of view. Andy Bounds' second book, the Snowball Effect, arrived on my doormat this morning so I'm looking forward to that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what it claims to be, 2 Nov 2007
I bought this book on the strength of the reviews, but have been sorely disappointed. It contains rehashed material from a variety of sources, put across in a dumbed down format that is the literary equivalent of a Daily Star page. Some of the ideas expressed by the author have merit, but there are very few of them in the 200+ pages of the book. I can only assume that the rave reviews included here have been as a result of the author having some very willing friends to sing his praises.

As for claiming that the author developed a new and improved method of communication through having a blind mother, whilst I of course sympathise with her disability, it strikes me as very cynical of the author to exploit this relationship. There was certainly no evidence of such improved communication in the publication itself.

2.0 out of 5 stars Simple Stuff, 5 July 2010
Dr Certain (Rickmansworth, hertfordsgir United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
If you are looking for a simple guide to communication at network meetings this could be it. For thoes that have been doing it for a few years its a repeat of a hundred others. In short, buy it if you need a hand hold for a meeting, but don't expect much hard facts or research.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jelly Effect for anyone involved in winning business, 7 May 2014
J. W. Allan - See all my reviews
This sis a great book with some really great ideas on how to get the most out of winning hearts, minds and new business

The Jelly Effect: How to Make Your Communication Stick
The Jelly Effect: How to Make Your Communication Stick by Andy Bounds (Paperback - 16 July 2010)
6.29