5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!
Great sequel to Uglies. Really well written sci-fi yong adult fiction.

(some spoilers from the first book follow)

Published on 1 Feb 2010 by Tasha

Published on 9 Jan 2011 by Nicholas Seeley

1.0 out of 5 stars Terriffic book, but what's with the typos in the Kindle edition?, 9 Jan 2011
This review is from: Pretties (Uglies) (Kindle Edition)
I've really enjoyed everything I've read by Westerfeld, both his adult and young adult books. The Uglies quartet is a great adventure series -- gripping, plenty of drama, and offering a lot to think about. But the Kindle edition of the second book is loaded with typos: missing periods on almost every other page, poor capitalization, misspelled words and malapropisms. What's with that? Kindle books are a bit cheaper than paperback sometimes, (though I don't think this one was) but they should still be edited!

3.0 out of 5 stars A little too samey, still enjoyable., 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: Pretties (Uglies) (Paperback)
After such good impressions of Uglies I couldn't wait to continue the series, I had to see how Tally and Shay's friendship turned out of all the drama Tally managed to cause, unfortunately what I couldn't handle was Pretty-talk, I hated it so much and I just wanted to tear my hair out. However the story line was good, I'll give you that. I loved watching Tally and Zane tackle curing themselves of being Pretty-minded with some bad side-effects on Zane part and their plan and break out to get to The New Smoke, and Tally stumbling across an interesting and not so guarded secret conservation of "Primitive Humans", an aspect of this story I didn't like was Shay, I felt so unconnected from her and all she needed to do was listen, I mean I know girls have their bitchy personalities and all but if Tally and Shay could have just spoken and listened to each other I'm sure things wouldn't have turned as nasty as they had and I know she was't really a big part of the story but it did really irritate me, along with Tally's conflict between Zane and David, it just got super frustrating and because it followed a similar plot outline to Uglies it lacked the freshness that I felt and I just didn't feel as attached throughout the book hence the lower rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 1 Feb 2010
Tasha (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Great sequel to Uglies. Really well written sci-fi yong adult fiction.

(some spoilers from the first book follow)

Tally is pretty - something that happens to all sixteen-year-olds. Being pretty isn't just superficial though, the operation has deeper consequences. At the start of the book, Tally doesn't remember that she's endured the operation so the cure can be tested on her. When we catch up with her it's a month after she returned to the city and Tally is making the most of young pretty life.

This all changes after a visit from a past friend bringing the cure for her to take. Tally becomes "bubbly" (able to think clearly) rather than being "pretty-minded" and we see how she deals with living amongst the pretties when she knows the truth

4.0 out of 5 stars Ever wanted to be perfect?, 16 Aug 2006
This is the second book in the 'uglies' trilogy, I read this book before reading the first book and so it took me a while to get used to the unique language that the characters use, however it is a fantastic, well written book. I couldn't put it down, definitely worth a read but reading uglies first would probably help

4.0 out of 5 stars If you can ignore the dire `pretty-speak' then this is a good read!, 13 Jan 2012
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I really enjoyed `Uglies' though I am not its YA targeted market, so was eager to read this, the second in the quartet to see if it would maintain the same standard of excellent writing, great characterisation and fast-paced plot- and of course I was eager to see what would happen to teenager Tally following events of the last book.

I have to say that initially I wasn't sure if I could cope with the `pretty-speak' language used and it really, really annoyed me as well as distracted me. Everything was `bogus' or `bubbly' and it took me a while to try and cast my irritation to one side and overcome it as it was obviously part of the narrative- but it was akin to the language used by stoners or junkies in a cliché American high school series and I hated it!!

Casting my annoyance to one side for a moment, `Pretties' picks up where Uglies left off, so I would recommend reading this series in its intended order otherwise this book may be confusing. I won't give away any spoilers other than to say that the general narrative of this book is whether being beautiful, popular and fun can really ultimately make someone happy or how achieving such aspirations may not appear what they're all cracked up to be. It is set in a future when things like hover-boards and corrective surgery are common-place and society is divided into beautiful and ugly and is full of cliques, shallowness, luxury lifestyles and parties. In this book, Tally's past from book one is about to catch up with her and now she has to decide what is really more important...

Generally this book, like `Uglies' has an important (and very relatable) message about how being beautiful and having popularity clearly isn't everything it seems and the sinister approach to showing it in a new dystopian society makes for very clever reading, particularly in today's society. I would recommend giving it a go if you are a fan of Lauren Oliver's `Delirium' or other YA books like `The Hunger Games,' teen or not!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Pretties (Uglies) (Paperback)
daughters birthday pressie - she loves these books and has the whole set

5.0 out of 5 stars surprisingly I loved it - aimed at age 11 upwards but adults could enjoy it too, 20 May 2014
Happy and Smiling "I love books and audio boo... (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pretties (Uglies) (Kindle Edition)
I thought the premise of a world where everyone had plastic surgery sounded silly, but I got totally hooked on this book. It rationalised things well, everything made sense in a bizarre way, and the characters were varied enough to make it believable. I would happily let my children (aged 9 and 13) read this. I read all three books in quick succession and I was really happy with the way the story tied up at the end. For anyone who liked hungergames/ divergent/ the testing etc, this is less violent but just as enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping just like the first, 21 April 2014
This review is from: Pretties (Uglies) (Kindle Edition)
The enticing adventures of Talky continue and they can hold you in the book like you are one of them. Enticing and gripping throughout the book. Unable to put down and carry on with my life as I feel like part of the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 April 2014
This review is from: Pretties (Uglies) (Kindle Edition)
This is the second book in the series and its just as fantastic as the first.

I loved Uglies and this story has not disappointed.

Can't wait to read more

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the series., 2 April 2014
This review is from: Pretties (Uglies) (Paperback)
Enjoyed it immensely. Great character development and story, sometimes a bit predictable, especially the end. But really can't wait to see where it goes.

Pretties (Uglies)
Pretties (Uglies) by Scott Westerfeld (Paperback - 24 May 2012)
5.24