5.0 out of 5 stars Have a Little Faith, 10 Aug. 2013
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Have a Little Faith (Paperback)
Have a Little Faith is the funniest book I've read this year, and the funniest since a new Georgia Nicolson book graced my shelves. I laughed out loud all the way through it and was sorely disappointed when I got to the end and realised there was no more to read. There's a second book being published in 2014 though, which I can't wait for. Hurrah!

Have a Little Faith is about fifteen-year-old Faith, year ten school student and all round prankster. She embraces her school days as if she were a character in the Just William books, getting up to no good and causing mischief. Her teachers despair (especially Miss Ramsbottom who, I think, would quite like to be rid of her) and constantly dole out detention forms and trips to the head's office, and what does Faith do? She appears to actually enjoy it, causing havoc for all involved!

I love books like this, they really make me laugh and I'm a big fan of the daily diary format that this is written in. It's full of boys and teenage angst, perfect for its target audience and anyone else who stumbles across a copy. Candy Harper has a way with words, a hilarious turn of phrase so dry and deadpan that I'm positive we'd be friends if we ever met.

Although Faith is the star of the show, the supporting cast of characters compliment her perfectly, especially best friend Megs who is just as bonkers as she is. Many hi-jinks ensue when they're together, leaving them in several situations I'm sure they wish they weren't in! Like, for instance, attempting to drive a teacher's car to a new school parking space...

Have a Little Faith is one of my favourite books of the year so far and I'll be recommending it to anyone who will listen. It's perfect for existing readers of Louise Rennison's classic Georgia Nicolson series and Sue Limb's Jess Jordan books and is actually better than certain instalments of those series. That's very high praise indeed!

4.5/5

4.0 out of 5 stars If you don’t read this book you are missing out- just saying ☺, 18 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Have a Little Faith (Paperback)
My relationship with my book loving friends pretty much revolves around mutual book pushing and promotion. There are the books fellow bloggers recommend, there are those that they rave about, escorting you to the shops or your amazon account to supervise your purchase or if you are lucky (and trusted) they will lend their copy to you. Then there are books, which they adore so much that they buy nine copies, just so that they can give them away and share the adoration (Yes, I’m looking pointedly at you Jim of YA Yeah Yeah fame). Nope? It was a first for me too!

Have A Little Faith came in to my possession (Thank you Jim) at just the right time, feeling under the weather, with a particularly busy home life, I was in the need for something light and uplifting. Told in short diary entries over the course of a school term, it was perfect for dipping in and out of as my schedule allowed. Although if I had had the time there is no doubt that I would have devoured it in a single sitting.

Sniggering and snorting with laughter from the very first page I couldn’t help warming Faith and the cast of supporting characters. Sassy, intelligent and fun, Faith is a girl who believes that gossiping about her TV shows with her friends is as vital as breathing and that at aged thirty her teacher has one foot in the grave! At times obnoxious and superficial she has vulnerability and a genuine affection for those around her, which allows you to forgive her flaws.

For me the thing that stands out the most, aside from the humor, are the fabulous relationships. I loved the dysfunctional-functional family and the supportive friendships. The teasing, one-upmanship and, at times, antagonistic interactions also shone though with feelings of familiarity, warmth and love.

The plot itself is fairly simplistic and predictable and there is minimal character development (thank goodness, as Faith is perfect just as she is!), never the less it is a fantastic, fun read and I look forward to diving in to the sequel.

Verdict: If you don’t read this book you are missing out- just saying ☺

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun!, 29 July 2013
This review is from: Have a Little Faith (Paperback)
HOW funny is this book? Faith is irrepressible and irresistible - her antics and narration made me laugh on every page. A fantastic introduction to a fun new teen heroine.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is definitely the book to brighten any gloomy day., 12 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Have a Little Faith (Paperback)
This is definitely the book to brighten any gloomy day. Faith is vibrant, fun and maybe a little crazy but only in the best possible way.

The book is Faith’s diary and begins with her and Megs (best friend) being split up. If Faith behaves they might get reunited next term. The chances of that becomes less as the weeks pass, while Faith does try it’s not that easy being good, especially with Miss Ramsbottom.

Faith voice is brilliant, reading her story is just hours of fun that you don’t want to end. It’s not just Faith that I loved, her friends are just as good and the banter between her and Ethan is brilliant. All the pranks are they play on each other are hilarious.

I enjoyed Have a Little Faith a lot and finished it in one sitting, reading the sequel Keep the Faith straight afterwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book, 23 Nov. 2013
I thought that this book was amazing, if you like geek girl then you will love this. A bit like dork diaries but for a bit older age group. I chose five out of five because it is one of the best books that I have read In a long time!You should really buy this book!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 13 Oct. 2013
This book is awesome I highly recommend it! It is really addictive to read. All I can say is wow

4.0 out of 5 stars Will give Georgian Nicholson a run for her money., 12 Sept. 2013
Originally posted [...]

After hearing the author, Candy Harper, read a few passages from this book, I knew I had to read it. In fact, I have visions of her reading the whole book aloud to me. If there are plans afoot to develop an audio version of the book, then Candy Harper must read it - because in my eyes she is an older version of Faith.

I loved Faith! As soon as I was introduced to her, I knew I was going to want to know her better. If I was at high school, Faith would've been the girl I'd have befriended. She is so full of herself, yet adorable with it. She pushes her friends to the limit before reeling them back in. She can't keep a secret, but feels she is doing her duty as a member of society by getting the information out there. She's just wild and daring, extremely selfish at times, yet caring at others and I love her. Her sarcastic views of the world had me in stitches.

The book is a sort of diary format and follows Faith's first four months back at school. She's been split up from her best friend Megs, and it's interesting to watch how they deal with the changes and cope with the new additions to their little friendship group. On top of that the girls are now spending time with the lads from the local boys school, which adds yet another layer to their group as they navigate their way through the minefield of blossoming romance.

This book will really appeal to fans of Louise Rennison's books. In fact I think Faith is about to give Georgia Nicholson a run for her money when it comes down to who might be the funniest. This book is hilarious from start to finish - Faith is one of the funniest characters I`ve come across in years. I'm looking forward to spending time with her again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, funny, funny!, 22 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Have a Little Faith (Paperback)
I loved this book so much. It is warm hearted and hilarious from start to finish. I can't wait for the sequel as I want to know what happens to the characters. With friends like these - even boring lessons would be fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing book. could not stop turning the pages, 3 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Have a Little Faith (Paperback)
amazing book. could not stop turning the pages.

this book is a humorous, gossip

faith is a 14 year old tenager in year ten having a hell of a laugh. loved this book its a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 July 2014
A Well crafted character in Faith. Let's have more of her.

Have a Little Faith
Have a Little Faith by Candy Harper (Paperback - 1 Aug. 2013)