Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now

Format: PaperbackChange

on 28 September 2013
Wow, where do I start? I may be slightly biased, as Darren Shan has been my favourite author for over ten years, but this book blew me away. I bought and read it on the day of the release and it's stuck with me ever since. I find myself unable to do every day things with out thinking about the events that unfolded in this book. I can't stop thinking about B and what she will do next, and I can't stop thinking about what in earth the grisly baby actually is! At this point, even though we're only 5 books in of a 12 book series, Zom-B is my favourite book series I've read. It deals with serious issues about society, with the added factor of zombies! And it's so refreshing to have a female main character, not often are girls given the same treatment as men in many franchises. I would recommend this to all of my friends!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
First thing first, would you look at that cover how bloody eye catching is it? In mine and Amanda's end of the year book survey I posted a picture about both the Zom-B Angel's cover and the Zom-B Baby cover when asked the question of favourite covers of the books I had read this year and why would I pick any other than that of my favourite author? When it comes to the cover's of Mr Shan's book he's never shocking for the sake of it, every cover no matter how gruesome has something to do with the story itself.

Aside from the covers the other thing I love more than anything bout Darren's book's is that though on the surface they are just a fantasy book for kids there is always such a deeper meaning and important message etched in-between the characters words, such themes as racism and bigotry, corruption, genetic engineering, and now religion and belief. Throughout all of the Zom-B series so far I have felt like, until Zom-B Angels we didn't really get to know B, the books were more focused n trying to set the scene of a zombie apocalypse and really get you engaged in all the horrors that come with it. However in this book I feel we are really really starting to see B for who she is, her character development over the past two books has taken such a big leap from the first book and I'm starting to like her the more I read. (considering I wasn't too sure about her as a main character from the start I'm glad she's growing on me )

At the end of Zom-B Angels, Oystenin told B why he had made it his mission to fight the 'war'. Despite making some friends, B wasn't sure if she could stay in the environment with someone she doesn't think is 100% sane, leaving is hard though and to make her mind up she really has to take a look inside herself and her past, she also needs to find herself a little more and after coming to conclusion that she couldn't do that where she was her decision is made. She leaves everyone behind and sets off again in the streets of London, filled even more with reviveds. On her travels she bumps into an old acquaintance who is nice enough to put her up for a while. By the end of the book she has decided what she wants to do but seems more confused than ever.

As I've mentioned a lot of times while talking about Darren Shan, I'll pretty much read anything he writes. Though I will admit that when it comes to this series I'm still waiting for a favourite. Each new addition to the story brings something more terrifying and strange than the next one did and the characters are just as good if not better than before. I enjoyed learning more about B and seeing a different side to her, I enjoyed reading what happened to an old face, but for me what I'm looking forward to the most is finding out more about Mr Dowling who could be one of Mr Shan's best villains to date (…. I say could be because nothing comes close to Lord Loss in my eyes haha). Overall his book was good and I got the next one out of the library today so I can't wait see what happens :)
on 6 October 2013
This series keeps getting better and while there's not too much graphical horror in this book, it's definitely the freakiest and frightening in this series to date. As an adult they are an engaging quick read and because he's a 'children's author' the ideas and concepts are innovative and you pick up on the inclusion of little themes that will influence younger readers. This one is packed with action and twists and turn. That Zom-B baby will concern the bravest of readers.
on 13 October 2013
This is an amazing book yet not as eventful as the rest of them. just like after reading the other books, I am expecting sleepless nights. I wouldn't recommend it for younger ages, but if you are brave then it is a must-read.
on 22 October 2013
I'd recommend this to anyone who loves blood and guts. I think anyone at the mature level of 13/14 should be able to read this without getting night-mares. Darren Shan is truly the master of horror, and my favourite writer.
VINE VOICEon 9 October 2014
Warning: Spoiler alert. Read ZOM-B before reading this review. Massive spoiler contained.
B Smith has found a home; a leader with a mission from God; A mentor to teach her kick-ass fighting skills. And allies just like her, revitaliseds, zombies with a mind and conscience.
Or has she? If the ZOM-B saga has an over-arching message, it is, find your own way. Do the math. Do the spade-work. Get your hands dirty. In other words, don’t accept answers, or a world-view, on a plate. Test-out. Think. Work it out. If you arrive at a philosophy or faith or political side or world view by your own thinking, by your own testing with mind and heart, well then, you have been true to yourself, and your beliefs should serve you well. Accept on face value the sales patter of another, however, and then you risk integrity, and more.
This message started with the principled teacher Burke in ZOM-B as he challenges B’s racism. It is developed further here, as B wonders whether Doctor Oystein is madman or Prophet. He claims to know the origin of the zombie plague and be on a mission of God to help eradicate it, against the satanic incarnation of the Hellish clown Mr Dowling and his hoodie mutants. B would like to believe him, but Burke’s words, and lessons from her own past, make her leave the Doctor’s safe refuge and strike out again across Zombie infested London. Can she trust what she has been told? B needs to see more of what is out there, and test it out. She will meet old friends; meet new ones, and the titular un-dead baby, who does not in fact make an appearance until the closing chapters of the book.
In this instalment there’s a big focus on religion, or faith. Doctor Oystein has it. Timothy the mad artist has it. B is not sure. She listens, but needs to think it out for herself, test it out in the crucible of a Hellish apocalypse. No answers are served for us in a plate. There’s an ambiguity to it all that keeps you hooked, and is in keeping with the theme of thinking it out for yourself.
As usual the writing is brisk and effective. There are some great set pieces. A race up the London eye, the appearance of the ZOM-B Baby, an attack on an art gallery; these are held in a swell paced narrative that uses its 12 book story arc to maximum effect. You can slowly deepen some mysteries whilst rapidly progressing others.
I don’t know which side the writer will land. I hope he doesn’t, and manages to sustain this tension. This is good, intelligent stuff, all the better for not flying a particular flag. Shan resists the temptation to go all Dawkins or all St Paul on us. His end message, conveyed so well to us by his be-clawed and be-fanged un-dead is, do your own homework.
on 2 November 2013
My teenage lad has all the Zom-B books and can't wait for the next book be to out.....Once he starts to read he never wants to put it down...must be brilliant if it gets him off his xbox!
on 26 November 2013
It has lots more adventure than the other Zomb books for a start and its miles more exciting!!! To be honest tough I dont think its as good as the demoneta and I havent read the other two series yet but I cant wait....Also , this might be a bit biased as darren shan is one of my best authors of all time; joint with Rick Riordan , J.K.Rowling and JRR Tolkien!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would recommend reading their series or watching the films. They are beast evrybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on 28 September 2013
I have Read all of Darren Shan's work, from his short fictions (Koyasan) to his adult fictions. In every series he has never failed to unveil an in depth plot line, fantastic characterization and twists and turns that make a Maze look simple!
The latest in the Zom-B series didn't fail to keep up with the fast paced action, horror and flavour that the other books had started. Fifth in the series of, I think, eleven books, it gives a lovely balance filling in some answers to those questions that persisted throughout the first four, and a deeper insight into B, our beloved her- Zomberoine! We have watched her develop nicely over the last five books, from a street wise, loud mouthed, uncertain child, to the up and coming hero of mankind. What would happen next only Mr Shan knows, and I am sure we are dying for a bite of it ;).
Happy Reading all! I would suggest reading with a light on, even teen fiction can give one helluva scare, and we'll all be looking over our shoulder for "that clown!"
All the best Readers.
on 14 October 2013
another excellent book by darren Shan can not wait for the next installment, easy to read and could not put it down when started to read it